Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 17 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PC for editing only.

THE ­ TROOPER
737 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 17, 2012 13:47 |  #1

Hi guy's I have been looking at both DELL XPS 8500 along with the DELL 620.

One has i7 and other i5.

Can anyone recommend a PC based on photo editing only. I don't need a monitor.

Thanks.

Ian

5DII GRIPPED - 17-40L
http://www.dreamworldi​mages.co.uk/ (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 17, 2012 15:38 |  #2

i5 or i7, both are fine. You won't get much performance increase from the i7 so probably best to spend your money elsewhere, like on an SSD.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 17, 2012 16:08 |  #3

Any chance you could build your own? How much are you looking to spend?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

THE ­ TROOPER
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 17, 2012 17:20 |  #4

Thank you both. As for bulding my own I don't actually know the first steps and I am afraid of being "ripped off" I suppose. At least with Dell you get your warranty etc and they seem quite credible.

I have max £800

5DII GRIPPED - 17-40L
http://www.dreamworldi​mages.co.uk/ (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 17, 2012 20:12 |  #5

THE TROOPER wrote in post #14282831 (external link)
As for bulding my own I don't actually know the first steps and I am afraid of being "ripped off" I suppose.

Ignore the word gaming in this tutorial it's only tossed in for search relevancy. You will find that it's much easier then you might think as long as you have a good 4-5 hours to spare for your first build. Also about a day to research components is a good idea which you can do a little here and there in your spare time.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=w-uHmL7Y2UU (external link)

I know most wont agree with me but Dell is crap they use cheap boards and bottom of the line components unless you get into the higher end systems. But with those better systems you can actually buy the same parts Dell sells you for 1/3-1/4 less money and assemble everything yourself. You still get a warranty on all the parts in some of them have a superior warranty to even what DELL will offer you after paying them a premium to assemble everything. There are so many complaints about the lack of support from DELL over the years and they have been sued so many times it's not even worth counting on the warranty unless you have a leprechaun tied up in your basement.

http://www.consumeraff​airs.com …rs/dell_tech_su​pport.html (external link)
http://www.consumeraff​airs.com …ll_extended_war​ranty.html (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,918 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 17, 2012 21:30 as a reply to  @ isoMorphic's post |  #6

you can get a much bigger bank for the buck building your own PC. Get with a friend who builds PC for help. If you don't have a PC geek for a friend, it is past time to become one or at least become friends with one. Building PCs is relatively straightforward.

These days I would build a new PC based on an Intel CPU for the 2011 socket and a motherboard using the X79 chipset. There are several good mobo makers such as Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI.

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 17, 2012 21:54 |  #7

MCAsan wrote in post #14283977 (external link)
you can get a much bigger bank for the buck building your own PC. Get with a friend who builds PC for help. If you don't have a PC geek for a friend, it is past time to become one or at least become friends with one. Building PCs is relatively straightforward.

These days I would build a new PC based on an Intel CPU for the 2011 socket and a motherboard using the X79 chipset. There are several good mobo makers such as Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI.

Unless you know what you're doing and look out for good deals you'll not get better deal than a pre-build computer. You'll get better components, etc, but price wise Dell systems are pretty competitive.

Sandy Bridge E system? Why in the world would THE TROOPER need one for photo editing?

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 17, 2012 22:37 |  #8

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #14284111 (external link)
You'll get better components

In the end this is what counts but you also gain knowledge of how your system works. Gone are the days of paying Geeksquad $200 to add a new Hard Drive or $80 to insert a stick of ram. No more having to wonder if it's safe to open the machine up and clean out the dust bunnies yourself.

Instead it puts the power in your hands and when it's time for an upgrade you wont need to call on anyone else. When your PSU dies you know how to change it without wondering if the geek is swapping your $200 PSU for some $39.99 China made junk (some PSU's are in fact made from scrap parts) with a Rocketfish sticker. Then claiming it was the PSU or hard drive when it was really a bad stick of Ram preventing boot-up which then leads to bigger problems down the road.

Educating yourself is worth any cost but if you can actually save yourself money and learn in the process thats priceless.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,918 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 18, 2012 06:59 |  #9

Sandy Bridge E system? Why in the world would THE TROOPER need one for photo editing?

Because it is a good investment. It will around performance wise for many years to come. Software processor loads go up with subsequent dot releases of applications. If you areing to get a new machine, get the most machine for the buck...something that will last at least 3-5 years.

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 18, 2012 11:11 |  #10

^^^^^^ Thats how I build machines too. Beast of a machine upfront and I usually dont have to upgrade for another 5 years.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 18, 2012 11:14 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

THE TROOPER wrote in post #14281712 (external link)
Hi guy's I have been looking at both DELL XPS 8500 along with the DELL 620.

One has i7 and other i5.

Can anyone recommend a PC based on photo editing only. I don't need a monitor.

Thanks.

Ian

For future proofing, i7

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 18, 2012 15:19 |  #12

Could I cast a vote for the OP just getting prebuilt PC? Sure building one is no big deal, I've built several. But I also like noodling around with computers, I've also spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting unexpected conflicts and failures. The OP strikes me as someone who isn't too interested in doing any of that. For people like that I say buy a Dell or an HP with the warranty and a helpline. Because when something goes wrong it's their problem, not yours. But if you guys still insist on him building his own you should at least give him your phone number so he has someone to call when something goes wrong.

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 18, 2012 15:23 |  #13

Like others I would suggest building your own, but if you are going to go with a Dell, the i5 is more than enough, I would double check how much RAM upgrade costs and then check that with the price of RAM on Newegg. I have found myself using over 6GB of RAM when doing certain things in Lightroom or Ps and with the price of RAM you will probably be better off getting the minimum with the system and grabbing an 8GB kit from NewEgg.

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 18, 2012 21:50 |  #14

MCAsan wrote in post #14285661 (external link)
Because it is a good investment. It will around performance wise for many years to come. Software processor loads go up with subsequent dot releases of applications. If you areing to get a new machine, get the most machine for the buck...something that will last at least 3-5 years.

Good investment? i7 3930k + decent X79 board = ~$750. i7 2600k + decent Z68 board = ~$350. There's about $400 difference and THE TROOPER is not likely to see the difference in performance in photo editing.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 19, 2012 13:33 |  #15

Oh yea, 2600K is def more than one needs for 99.99999999999% of whats done on a home PC.

sponsored links

3,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
PC for editing only.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.