Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Mar 2012 (Monday) 00:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Book Club Topic: Composition - The Photographer's Eye, Chapter 1, The Image Frame

Gawain
111 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 10, 2012 10:39 as a reply to  @ post 14241470 |  #61

With your indulgence I have two more. One is a frame within a frame and the other uses the frame and depth of field to introduce perspective on the shot.

frame within a frame:
http://flic.kr/p/bLhiy​e (external link)

and a forced perspective (or maybe I'm just showing off my daughter.. LOL):
http://flic.kr/p/bxnBw​W (external link)

edit: I just went back to make sure the links worked and you can access my snapshots. I think the first one could actually be a frame within a frame within a frame. ; )

one more edit: I probably should have straightened out the shot so the parallel lines of the building line up with the frame border. Thoughts?

last edit I promise: OK.... the window frame is parallel to the snapshot frame. I think that is best.

sponsored links
wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 10, 2012 11:49 |  #62

Gawain wrote in post #14241499 (external link)
With your indulgence I have two more. One is a frame within a frame and the other uses the frame and depth of field to introduce perspective on the shot.

frame within a frame:
http://flic.kr/p/bLhiy​e (external link)

and a forced perspective (or maybe I'm just showing off my daughter.. LOL):
http://flic.kr/p/bxnBw​W (external link)

edit: I just went back to make sure the links worked and you can access my snapshots. I think the first one could actually be a frame within a frame within a frame. ; )

one more edit: I probably should have straightened out the shot so the parallel lines of the building line up with the frame border. Thoughts?

last edit I promise: OK.... the window frame is parallel to the snapshot frame. I think that is best.

Gawain, with flickr, sharing is easy. You click so you have the picture all by itself on one page and there is a share dialog above the picture. Click on it and it turns into a pull-down; choose "HTML/BBCode", copy everything there and post it into a reply to thread window here. :)

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

Gawain
111 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 10, 2012 17:48 |  #63

Thank-you!

wuzzittoya wrote in post #14241902 (external link)
Gawain, with flickr, sharing is easy. You click so you have the picture all by itself on one page and there is a share dialog above the picture. Click on it and it turns into a pull-down; choose "HTML/BBCode", copy everything there and post it into a reply to thread window here. :)

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 11, 2012 18:44 |  #64

Gawain wrote in post #14243783 (external link)
Thank-you!

You're welcome! :)

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 14, 2012 21:40 |  #65

OK. I am lost. Is this the thread we should be discussing chapters in?

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

Gawain
111 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 15, 2012 08:05 as a reply to  @ TTuna Eye's post |  #66

I'm assuming no. Or the thread has died. ???????

Gawain

cacawcacaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 16, 2012 01:47 |  #67

TTuna Eye wrote in post #14267081 (external link)
OK. I am lost. Is this the thread we should be discussing chapters in?

Yes, we'll use this single thread for the entire book with no timetable.

Jeremy's original intent was for everyone to read the book together and discuss the concepts of each chapter in separate threads. For a variety of reasons, that didn't work out.

Let's get the discussion going again! I realize that composition isn't something that can be reduced to a set of formulas but still, many of the book's tips and insights are interesting.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 16, 2012 03:26 |  #68

My apologies again for my lack of contributions. I am reading every word but I've got bogged down with chapter 2. Maybe chapter 3 will be better when we reach it.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

cacawcacaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 16, 2012 12:27 |  #69

Lowner wrote in post #14273267 (external link)
...I am reading every word but I've got bogged down with chapter 2. Maybe chapter 3 will be better when we reach it.

That's pretty much what happened to me. Let's just plow through Chapter Two and see if Chapter Three isn't better for our discussion.

Here's a scene I ran into yesterday. Looked like I had all the right ingredients but I just couldn't pull it together. Thinking about composition, I snapped a bunch of shots under the bent branches, using them as a frame and to point at other parts of the image. But none of my images had much of a spark.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This is after some straightening and cropping but it still looks disjointed. I have a feeling that it's due to the repetitive small scale of the various elements, but I'd love to hear criticisms and perhaps some ideas on how I should have handled this.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 17, 2012 21:38 |  #70

I think that shot is cool! I would probably crop it down a bit more to bring out the dog (I love dogs) the framing with the trees and the snow capped mountains provide some cool contrast in both subject and color.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2012 10:34 |  #71

TTuna Eye wrote in post #14284028 (external link)
I think that shot is cool! I would probably crop it down a bit more to bring out the dog (I love dogs) the framing with the trees and the snow capped mountains provide some cool contrast in both subject and color.

I agree. I think this is one where you could safely ignore the rule of thirds and crop so that the dog is right in the lower right corner of the image, which will emphasize the dog as TTuna Eye suggests and also bring the dog closer to the bend of the trees in the final image, plus eliminate the very bland foreground below the dog.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

cacawcacaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 18, 2012 12:05 |  #72

I agree. "Filling the frame" always seems to produce a more compelling image. My goal with this image was to have several layers of interest, the details in the pebbles, the stick lying on the ground, the way the dog's tail curves in a way that similar to the trees, and then the weather in the hills, which contrasts with the sunny day down below.

But none of that means anything if the basic composition isn't compelling. I might take a stab at editing this again, re-cropping, and then highlighting specific objects that I want to emphasize. (I tried cropping closer to the dog and didn't care for it because it created the "invisible wall" feeling. Perhaps this shot just has too many flaws to start with.)

Edit: Here's a quick Lightroom re-edit.

IMAGE: http://thepont.smugmug.com/Experiments/Experiments/i-7DGLzph/0/L/after-L.jpg

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 18, 2012 13:22 |  #73

Big improvement.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

cacawcacaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 19, 2012 00:34 |  #74

I was just looking at another thread and wondered about applying LR's Crop Tool Golden Spriral overlay. I don't know why, but the Golden Spiral seems to make compositions click into place. What do you think of this composition compared to the first? It's a subtle difference but I like it better.

IMAGE: http://thepont.smugmug.com/Experiments/Experiments/i-Q72X9Tj/0/L/Golden-Spiral-L.jpg

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 25, 2012 13:24 |  #75

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14290775 (external link)
I was just looking at another thread and wondered about applying LR's Crop Tool Golden Spriral overlay. I don't know why, but the Golden Spiral seems to make compositions click into place. What do you think of this composition compared to the first? It's a subtle difference but I like it better.

Definitely better than the original, but I think something between this and your second example might work even better. One possibility would be to draw the right edge of the frame in a little, but not as close as in your second example, and drop the top edge down closer to the tree that has the big curve.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

sponsored links

11,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Book Club Topic: Composition - The Photographer's Eye, Chapter 1, The Image Frame
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.