Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 29 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 01:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Samyang Rokinon Vivitar 14 2.8 lens

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2012 21:50 |  #1546

Got mine from Ebay. International sale...

Clignoteur wrote in post #14281155 (external link)
should I sell my 17-40L for this one? Need a wide angle lens for interiors of cars. Or better get the sigma 15mm ?

For a wide angle prime, this is probably THE bargain lens. You would probably want to invest in a focusing screen (just the regular canon ee- series, or whatever it is, about $40) and you should be good to go.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

sponsored links
vgrab
118 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 18, 2012 03:07 |  #1547

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14284091 (external link)
Got mine from Ebay. International sale...

For a wide angle prime, this is probably THE bargain lens. You would probably want to invest in a focusing screen (just the regular canon ee- series, or whatever it is, about $40) and you should be good to go.

i have to disagree on this.. u dont need a focusing screen for this lens. i never actually focus while using it. i always set it on about 1.6 meters and f8 and everything is nice and sharp.. and if u need to focus on something really up close just use live view.

i do however have a focusing screen and would recommed getting the precision matte for anyone :)

And yes. this is The Bargain lens, mooka is right. its very sharp even in the corners, the only problem is that for architecture the distortion might be a pain in the ass.. its quite easily fixable in lightroom with a lens profile but still very annoying

flickr (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 18, 2012 03:20 |  #1548

vgrab wrote in post #14285227 (external link)
i have to disagree on this.. u dont need a focusing screen for this lens. i never actually focus while using it. i always set it on about 1.6 meters and f8 and everything is nice and sharp..

I don't use a focusing screen either:), (my new camera doesn't allow them) but he says he wants to photograph the insides of cars. I'm assuming the things he wants to focus on will be closer than 1.2 meters, in general, and will often be in odd places in the frame. Perhaps he could do that with live view, but I still think a focusing screen would make it much easier. They are wonderful, almost magical, in my opinion, for close focusing things that are not near the center of the frame.

You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

vgrab
118 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 18, 2012 03:52 |  #1549

i missed that part ;) but even with a focusing screen i find it really hard to focus on up close subjects accurately with this lens.

flickr (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 18, 2012 04:38 |  #1550

Yeah, probably depends on camera and type of screen, etc. I had a 5Dc and just got the regular canon insert screen and was really happy. I could turn the lens and really see the part I wanted "pop" into focus. I would generally focus (my concentration, that is) on one tiny contrasty part and wait til that spot really came into the zone. I had terrible luck with the Samyang 35mm, though, for far away objects (although always fine with close stuff.

Clignoteur
375 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 18, 2012 10:59 as a reply to  @ Mookalafalas's post |  #1551

which one is better: samyang or canon 15mm fisheye or sigma 15mm fisheye for my purpose ( only interior shots of cars ) I mean I like the quality i see on this forum of the samyang.

Automotive & Event Photographer in Belgium
http://www.facebook.co​m/Unicornpics (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 18, 2012 16:37 |  #1552

Clignoteur wrote in post #14286715 (external link)
which one is better: samyang or canon 15mm fisheye or sigma 15mm fisheye for my purpose ( only interior shots of cars ) I mean I like the quality i see on this forum of the samyang.

I don't think you want a fisheye at all! This lens (samyang 14mm) is not a fisheye, it's a rectilinear lens--straight lines look straight. A fisheye lens curves everything like crazy. They are fun lenses, and you can see more, but it's a whole different ball of wax. If you are shooting car interiors professionally, my guess is you would want this lens. If it's just for fun...I've no idea. Why don't you check out the pictures in the different threads? Or go to Flickr and spend some time in the photostreams for each and get an idea of what the lenses can do, and what kinds of images they generate. Good luck with your decision:)

motleypixel
412 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 18, 2012 20:26 |  #1553

Well said Mookalafalas, but it's funny that the packaging says fisheye, at least my retail Rokinon branded one does.

Here's the most extreme case were you see distortion with this lens, but realize that a fisheye would be way worse...much more curving/bowing:

Un-corrected:

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6066/6148996776_c3ce09d616_z.jpg

corrected with LR profile:

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6187/6148448951_3af7af0b97_z.jpg

Minolta Rokkor and Canon can live together in harmony. (external link)http://vimeo.com/14891​384 (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 18, 2012 20:45 |  #1554

My guess is that the packaging department just saw that bulging front element and said, "Right, fisheye". Of course "mustache distortion" can look pretty funky, but here is a picture I took yesterday with a 15mm Sigma fisheye. Quite a difference! The below is NOT with a Sam/Rok 14mm

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7198/6943819112_9158487887_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …las-pixgalore/6943819112/  (external link)
Selfy with Backhoe (external link) by Mookalafalas (external link), on Flickr

Quiexo
297 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 18, 2012 21:02 as a reply to  @ Mookalafalas's post |  #1555

A shot taken of the Bell Tower in Perth, on one of the rare occasions where we actually have some fog to add some moodiness to shot...

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7266/7092182003_7691c2de61_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/57258176@N07/7​092182003/  (external link)
Perth Fog (external link) by Quiexo (external link), on Flickr

1D MkIII, 5D3, Sigma 24mm f1.8 + 35mm f1.4, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake + 85mm f/1.8 + 100mm f/2.8 macro, Ricoh GR

vgrab
118 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 19, 2012 04:23 |  #1556

nice quiexo.. i like the little person in the triangle at the bottom there

flickr (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 19, 2012 09:30 |  #1557

that fog with the odd structure works really well. A really neat feel to the shot.

A couple from a recent vacation.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Quiexo
297 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 21, 2012 18:36 |  #1558

vgrab wrote in post #14291251 (external link)
nice quiexo.. i like the little person in the triangle at the bottom there

THanks....actually considered cloning that person out of the shot to give it a completely deserted shot, but think have to agree with you, having him in is better..:D

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14292242 (external link)
that fog with the odd structure works really well. A really neat feel to the shot.

Cheers, and nice work too..:) Actually entered this shot as part of a photo comp involving the Perth Bell Tower, but personally, don't think it's a winner...but gotta be in it to win it, so keeping my fingers crossed...

1D MkIII, 5D3, Sigma 24mm f1.8 + 35mm f1.4, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake + 85mm f/1.8 + 100mm f/2.8 macro, Ricoh GR

Mast3rChi3f
862 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 22, 2012 17:33 as a reply to  @ Quiexo's post |  #1559

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7101934999_7ff9d3922c_o.jpg

Flickr (external link)
facebook (external link)
Google+ (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 22, 2012 18:42 |  #1560

That looks like it's from Mars :)

sponsored links

1,462,752 views & 1,412 likes for this thread
Samyang Rokinon Vivitar 14 2.8 lens
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.