Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 04:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stolen picture.

chrisandaivi
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 18, 2012 04:24 |  #1

1st time that ever happened to me.. I'm doing a 365 project and I posted this picture last night on my facebook page and after I woke up someone has told me that my photo was stolen..

What should I do? I'm not really offended though.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear: 5D Mark II, Canon 85mm 1.2 L ,Canon 17-40mm F4L
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L, Canon 70-200mm F4L
580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

sponsored links
chrisandaivi
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 18, 2012 04:25 |  #2

1st pic is the stolen one, the 2nd photo is mine.,, It's kinda my fault I did not use a watermark on it.

580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

URLphotographer
143 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2012 04:28 as a reply to  @ chrisandaivi's post |  #3

I can translate the tagalog part of it if you want...:)

chrisandaivi
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 18, 2012 04:29 |  #4

I did already... Google translate..

580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

letsbewild
333 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2012 07:54 |  #5

It's a really horrible monstrosity of text they have added, but for as bad as it looks, that's the sort of thing I usually wouldn't worry about. They're never going to be a client, none of my clients will ever see it, and they're not going to profit from it in any way. It probably brings a smile to their face and doesn't affect me in any way.

But, that's just me. I'm sure they would take it down if you asked them to, most casual photo-grabbers do.

Pretty shot, by the way

Nick
http://www.letsbewild.​com/photography-course/ (external link)
http://www.letsbewild.​com (external link)

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 18, 2012 07:58 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

chrisandaivi wrote in post #14285353 (external link)
1st pic is the stolen one, the 2nd photo is mine.,, It's kinda my fault I did not use a watermark on it.

THEY WOULD’VE CROPPED THE PICTURE ANYWAY ;)

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 18, 2012 09:04 |  #7

letsbewild wrote in post #14285789 (external link)
It's a really horrible monstrosity of text they have added, but for as bad as it looks, that's the sort of thing I usually wouldn't worry about. They're never going to be a client, none of my clients will ever see it, and they're not going to profit from it in any way. It probably brings a smile to their face and doesn't affect me in any way.

But, that's just me. I'm sure they would take it down if you asked them to, most casual photo-grabbers do.

Pretty shot, by the way

This is exactly my take as well.

My personal thoughts are that I know that things I put up online might get used. That is why the resolution is 1000PX or less. Kids and family are password protected. If you want it at that resolution, go ahead and take it, I don't even watermark it. If you want it 24x36 or larger in a nice frame, you can buy it.

chrisandaivi
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 18, 2012 09:14 |  #8

Just like I said, this is the 1st time that ever happened to me.. BUT I'm not even mad they did it. WEird LOL!!!

580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 18, 2012 09:24 |  #9

Right, you should be flattered! Now if that was my image (and its a nice picture by the way) and I saw it on a commercial site, as a banner or some other form I would probably be contacting the company for compensation, or take it down....

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 18, 2012 09:26 |  #10

If you want total control over an image and want to prevent it from being stolen or used in ways you don't want to happen, don't put the image on Facebook or in an open online area where viewing the image is not controlled. Treating the image in that manner is the online equivalent of leaving a luxury car in a busy parking lot with the doors open, the windows rolled down, the key in the ignition and the motor running.

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 18, 2012 09:27 |  #11

I basically stopped who can see my stuff on facebook anymore to just a handful of trusted people, unless its just a basic snapshot of my cat or some flowers which then become wall photos.

I have found a few college educated people who seem to think if they are in a photo, they can do whatever they please with it, including cropping out my watermark. I have tried to explain over and over that they can't just take and use stuff online to build a website, but I may as well talk to a tree stump, as they don't seem to understand any better then a tree stump would.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

dragon_irl
67 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 18, 2012 09:36 |  #12

Hey its worse if the person claimed they took it.....

Canon 7D, T1i gripped, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 17-40 f/4.0 L USM, 580 EXII

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 18, 2012 10:09 |  #13

if you're not offended, then don't worry about it.

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 19, 2012 04:49 |  #14

message them and tell them that its great that they appreciate your work and kindly suggest in the future they ask for permission first (because im sure they wont enjoy it if you took a photo of theirs then defaced it.) if not, ask them to take down the photo. of course. change your privacy setting.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 20, 2012 16:36 |  #15

Never post anything on the web in a publicly accessible web location, unless you do not care if it is stolen by someone.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,463 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stolen picture.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.