Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 13, 2012 21:39 |  #556

Odd. I had a Sekonic 358, but sold it some time ago. I recently both one again (doesn't it seem like we buy someone, sell it, buy it again, sell it, etc?). In any case, my meter won't be in until Monday, so I won't be able to test for you.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN | XT-1 for Sale | X-Pro2 for Sale

sponsored links
elv
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 13, 2012 23:28 |  #557

wizard13 wrote in post #14262279 (external link)
Time to appeal to the wisdom of all the POTN Odin users.
I have odins and have used then to generally trigger my elinchrom stobes and my 580exII and 430exI. The problem comes in when I try to use my Sekonic 358 flash meter. The meter will read correctly for the elinchrom strobes but for some reason will not read the 580 or 430 correctly with the odin triggering the flash.
I set up the camera on manual 1/200th -- F4.0 -- ISO200. Triggered the 580 via the Odin at 1/16 manual. The flash meter was set to 1/200th and ISO200. The F stop came back at F4.0. Then triggered the flash at 1/1 manual with same camera settings. The picture was overexposed but the light meter still read F4.0?? Dropped the Odin power setting to 1/128th and the flash meter still read F4.0 but the picture was very dark. I can visually see the flash power changing as I change the settings.
I have the 580exII on ETTL mode. I tried Manual on the flash but same issue.
The meter is set to wireless evaluative mode. So that should be the correct mode according to the manual. Plus that mode works fine with the flash by itself and no Odin attached.
Any ideas on what is happening???
Thanks in advance--

Yep theres a pre-flash with the Odins even in remote manual, so unless you connect the speedlights via sync cord to the Odin receiver (or tape over the TTL contacts) the lightmeter is going to measure the pre-flash instead.

And the Odin test fire button only puts out a small flash pulse that does not equal the power level set on the speedlights, so again that can't be used to take a meter reading.

One known workaround is to set the Odin TCU to second curtain sync and use a long shutter speed to meter the real flash pulse separately from the early pre-flash.

If you come up with any other solutions though please let us know.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 13, 2012 23:38 |  #558

PWard wrote in post #14260857 (external link)
it would be nice...especially if the pricing is right....instead of paying $300 for a used 580 EX, it would be nice to get two phottix TTL flashes :-) )(one can hope right?)

Cheap would be nice, but somehow I think its going to cost them more to make something reliable. A reliable $200 flash would be the super sweet spot but even that my be a little too optimistic. I'm only guessing but I'd think it would be more in line with the Nissin Di866 or similar.

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 14, 2012 03:04 |  #559

elv wrote in post #14262725 (external link)
Yep theres a pre-flash with the Odins even in remote manual, so unless you connect the speedlights via sync cord to the Odin receiver (or tape over the TTL contacts) the lightmeter is going to measure the pre-flash instead.

And the Odin test fire button only puts out a small flash pulse that does not equal the power level set on the speedlights, so again that can't be used to take a meter reading.

One known workaround is to set the Odin TCU to second curtain sync and use a long shutter speed to meter the real flash pulse separately from the early pre-flash.

What about if you simply press the shutter? Would that still cause a pre-flash that would still give off an incorrect reading like pressing the test button?

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN | XT-1 for Sale | X-Pro2 for Sale

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 14, 2012 07:17 |  #560

PWard wrote in post #14263351 (external link)
What about if you simply press the shutter? Would that still cause a pre-flash that would still give off an incorrect reading like pressing the test button?

Still the same problem if you press the shutter button and actually take a picture. Will have to play around more and see what might work--

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 14, 2012 07:17 |  #561

elv wrote in post #14262725 (external link)

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if there was something like this going on.

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 14, 2012 10:29 |  #562

That would definitely cause a problem. I usually just check the histogram on the camera and "guess" from there. I bought the meter (again) hoping it would eliminate the guess work....but apparently that may not be the case now. :-(

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 15, 2012 20:16 |  #563

I was briefly able to test the Mettle 600AD strobe with the Odins tonight. I tried it at 1/200 shutter since that's the max sync speed of my 5D2. No problems with banding from the shutter catching the curtain (unlike the yongnuo rf-602s I had where I usually had to shoot at 1/160 or 1/125). I pumped the shutter speed to 1/8000 and fired off a shot. Still no black banding :-)

I didn't do anything really scientific. In fact I kept the Odin in TTL mode and just made sure HSS was set on it.

I tried it with the Mettle strobe on full power and 1/32, which is as low as it can go.

The Mettle strobe really isn't that bad of a deal. It's a Flashpoint strobe that uses Bowens mounts instead of the proprietary Flashpoint mounts. They both can use the same battery packs, modeling lights, and flash tubes.

I bought the 600AD on Amazon for $350, and that included the power pack.

Hawk's ­ Feather
304 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2012 19:45 |  #564

I just received notice that there is now a firmware upgrade (to 1.08) for Macintosh. Just thought I would pass the information along to those who have been waiting for the Macintosh version.

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 17, 2012 23:56 |  #565

PWard wrote in post #14271728 (external link)
I was briefly able to test the Mettle 600AD strobe with the Odins tonight. I tried it at 1/200 shutter since that's the max sync speed of my 5D2. No problems with banding from the shutter catching the curtain (unlike the yongnuo rf-602s I had where I usually had to shoot at 1/160 or 1/125). I pumped the shutter speed to 1/8000 and fired off a shot. Still no black banding :-)

I didn't do anything really scientific. In fact I kept the Odin in TTL mode and just made sure HSS was set on it.

I tried it with the Mettle strobe on full power and 1/32, which is as low as it can go.

The Mettle strobe really isn't that bad of a deal. It's a Flashpoint strobe that uses Bowens mounts instead of the proprietary Flashpoint mounts. They both can use the same battery packs, modeling lights, and flash tubes.

I bought the 600AD on Amazon for $350, and that included the power pack.

Thanks for that, sounds like very good results so far.

You don't have to be too scientific about it, really only takes 15 minutes to run through most of the shutter speeds and power levels. But you may have to do that just to check because it may not work everywhere.

Once you know what works you won't get caught out when you take it outside in the bright ambient where it won't be so obvious where the flash is being clipped.

The Flashpoint/Mettle are looking like one of the better inexpensive options.

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 18, 2012 14:49 |  #566

It seems lately I'm seeing a LOT more pocket wizard flex systems for sale in the sell thread. I wonder what everyone is switching over to...

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2012 15:30 |  #567

New Canon RF Flash.

After selling the pocket wizards and the older flash, the price difference is not huge to upgrade to 600RT + ST-E3RT.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 18, 2012 15:32 |  #568

ah, I keep forgetting about Canon's new system.

I'll stick with my 580 EX II. :-)

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2012 15:40 |  #569

I think all the third parties radio control will be hurting in another couple of years. People will migrate to the new flash at the next canon rebate program. The death nail would be a Nikon RF wireless system.

Very hard to compete with OEM unless the price is much better or some other significant features.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

DHPHOTO66
186 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 18, 2012 15:57 |  #570

liupublic wrote in post #14288101 (external link)
I think all the third parties radio control will be hurting in another couple of years. People will migrate to the new flash at the next canon rebate program. The death nail would be a Nikon RF wireless system.

Very hard to compete with OEM unless the price is much better or some other significant features.

With the migration to the new system also means a drop in prices for the older non-compatible units, this will maintain those third party systems. Also there is word of one third party company releasing a speedlight which I am sure will have features intigrated to compete with the Canon system, maybe not on the same level but close and still at a lower price....

Uncle Donn | http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dhphoto66/ (external link)

sponsored links

174,293 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.