Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 11:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beginner's Guide to Neutral Density Filters

keno190
42 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 18, 2012 19:52 |  #46

great read!

________
Gear: 60d | 18-135mm | 50 1.8 | 580 ex II |
| Tumblr (external link) | Portfolio (external link) |

sponsored links
ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,281 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2012 19:59 as a reply to  @ keno190's post |  #47

...thanks for taking the time for writing and posting this, very informative for a new schooler !

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 19, 2012 00:23 |  #48

I appreciate this post!

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 19, 2012 05:56 |  #49

I just read your initial post closely and carefully. Very helpful and useful information.

I do think if you have time you can supplement this in a way that would be much more helpful, and that is how one goes about metering a scene when using a GND or an ND.

I was in Alaska hiking last August. Snowcapped mountains behind us. I turn around to take a pic of my wife behind me and the mountains are way too bright and are therefore blownout if she's to be properly exposed.

While with experimentation I was able to get a decent shot, I had no idea of what to really do.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. Especially the part explaining, the .2, .6, etc., as I had no idea what that was. In that same vein, what decimal point is the Lee Big Stopper?

Bonbridge
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 19, 2012 06:00 |  #50

MDJAK wrote in post #14291410 (external link)
I just read your initial post closely and carefully. Very helpful and useful information.

I do think if you have time you can supplement this in a way that would be much more helpful, and that is how one goes about metering a scene when using a GND or an ND.

I was in Alaska hiking last August. Snowcapped mountains behind us. I turn around to take a pic of my wife behind me and the mountains are way too bright and are therefore blownout if she's to be properly exposed.

While with experimentation I was able to get a decent shot, I had no idea of what to really do.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. Especially the part explaining, the .2, .6, etc., as I had no idea what that was. In that same vein, what decimal point is the Lee Big Stopper?

0.6 is two stops
3.0 is ten stops (Big stopper is ten stops)

5DII + 6D | 16-35/4.0L IS | Σ35/1.4A | 40/2.8 | Σ85/1.4A | 85/1.2L II | 70-200/2.8L IS II
iMac Retina 5k | i7 | 24Gb RAM | 512GB Flash | 4GB M295X

Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

TaDa
THREAD ­ STARTER
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 19, 2012 06:08 |  #51

The jokes here would be way too easy Mark.

In all fairness, what you describe is a very difficult shooting situation. If she's backlit w/ white behind her, the only way you're going to get a good shot is with flash.

As to the decimals, I've only really seen filters above 3 stops using their stops as the indicator (4 stop, 5 stop, etc.) but the Lee Big Stopper would be 3.0 in decimals.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 19, 2012 06:57 |  #52

TaDa wrote in post #14288223 (external link)
Many make the same argument about regular filters. It comes down to what is acceptable to you. For me, I found the magenta cast of HiTech filters to be annoying to fix in post. Lee filters have a cast, but it's blue, so it's as easy to fix as white balance.

Like I said, there are many reasons to buy the more affordable filters, one of the first being price. In the long run though, the higher end filters seem to hold their value very well, so whenever I've needed to switch or sell, it's been at a very minimal loss (10% or so)

I agree with that 100% as you do get what you pay for. I don't use them a lot so they work for me and I'm sure I'd have the higher end set if I used them a lot.

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 19, 2012 13:21 |  #53

TaDa wrote in post #14291438 (external link)
In all fairness, what you describe is a very difficult shooting situation. If she's backlit w/ white behind her, the only way you're going to get a good shot is with flash.

Classic application of fill flash, or even a passive reflector (maybe both).

Bracketing exposures for blending with Photomatrix, LR/Enfuse, etc. is another route, but carrying a tripod in your situation likely wouldn't have been feasible.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,113 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 24, 2012 18:25 |  #54

Been researching this topic for the past few days, and everything you mentioned in your explanation of filters reafirms what I have discovered as well. Thank you for the well written explantion on filters.

Was wondering what your thoughts are with regards to this video, as he seems to favor one filter holder over the other. In the video you will see him use a circular glass polarizer in his filter holder, rather than a plastic 4x4 polarizer filter, as he fills it gets better results..

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=GXGQYY84PwI (external link)

Also a question I have is, if you already have a screw on polarizer on your lens, can you still use a filter holder with adapter ring to fit a specfic size lens, so you can use a 4x4 filter of your choice.

Besides the ND or GNd filters, there are many other types of color filters for landscape and seascapes, would you know where on this forum or others where they discuss the various ones and there effects.

Singh Ray seemed to have cool blue and gold circular glass filter that you rotate that gives some great effects. They had a video related to that, and you can see first hand what it does. As you said, they to advised to get a reverse ND grad for sunrise and sunsets.

A heck of a lot to absorb and then decide which way to fly, when there is not so much info out there on this subject. As there is so many choices. Even at the high end, you want to get the best bang for the $$$

My other thought on this subject is, would it be better to perform all this in Photoshops post taking the shot, of course you would need to be somewhat skilled using PS to pull this off there. As I seen some video's of folks doing exactaly that on U tube.

My Gear flickr (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 26, 2013 11:26 |  #55

this guide is fantastic, thanks for sharing!

I'm still confused, probably spent too much time on the 2filter "website" that seems to have been built in the stone age of HTML, ;-)a

I can't afford a whole bunch of Lee filters right now, and since I'm mostly interested in using ND filters for b&w photos, I'm not too concerned about color cast the other brands might have (or not). So I'm considering the Hitech set 2filter offers:
Hitech 4x4 Metal Based Modular Filter Holder,
Three 4x5 ND Gradual Filters
and Metal Formatt Hitech 77mm adapter ring
Hitech Pro 100mm x 125mm, ND 0.3, ND 0.6
and ND 0.9 with Soft Edge.

I'd also add one or two non grad filters. I think that should set me up for landscape with the grad, and lowering over all exposure for shots like milky water etc, does that make sense? I'd be using that on my canon 17-55 and hope I can also use it on my future 24-70 Tamron with 82mm front.

But the more I read, including the Hitech catalog pdf they link to, the more confused I get.

It's somewhat odd that nobody else (amazon, b&h, adorama) seems to offer ND package deals with filters and holders, to make things a bit easier. I'll call teh 2filter people, but before I do I was wondering what people here might think. I can't spend too much, seems with the above I'd be set for around $300.

Thanks!

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 31, 2013 22:34 |  #56

Here are a couple of good links for ND/GND ....

http://www.dalephotogr​aphic.co.uk …_142488/1/Lee%2​520Filters (external link)

http://www.redbubble.c​om …o-neutral-density-filters (external link)

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

TaDa
THREAD ­ STARTER
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 01, 2013 09:28 |  #57

phantelope wrote in post #15757311 (external link)
this guide is fantastic, thanks for sharing!

I'm still confused, probably spent too much time on the 2filter "website" that seems to have been built in the stone age of HTML, ;-)a

I can't afford a whole bunch of Lee filters right now, and since I'm mostly interested in using ND filters for b&w photos, I'm not too concerned about color cast the other brands might have (or not). So I'm considering the Hitech set 2filter offers:
Hitech 4x4 Metal Based Modular Filter Holder,
Three 4x5 ND Gradual Filters
and Metal Formatt Hitech 77mm adapter ring
Hitech Pro 100mm x 125mm, ND 0.3, ND 0.6
and ND 0.9 with Soft Edge.

I'd also add one or two non grad filters. I think that should set me up for landscape with the grad, and lowering over all exposure for shots like milky water etc, does that make sense? I'd be using that on my canon 17-55 and hope I can also use it on my future 24-70 Tamron with 82mm front.

But the more I read, including the Hitech catalog pdf they link to, the more confused I get.

It's somewhat odd that nobody else (amazon, b&h, adorama) seems to offer ND package deals with filters and holders, to make things a bit easier. I'll call teh 2filter people, but before I do I was wondering what people here might think. I can't spend too much, seems with the above I'd be set for around $300.

Thanks!

So you'd be buying a 1, 2 and 3 stop Grad ND set plus another 1 or 2 Hard Edge. The only thing to keep in mind when you mention smoothing out water, is that you'll most likely want the whole frame exposed the same. if you use one of Grad filters, and let's say the water is at the bottom of the frame, then the sky will most likely be blown out. You could stack two filters, but that usually gets tricky for the shot. You may want to think about a filter that covers the whole frame just for the water shots.

Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 02, 2013 11:19 |  #58

that's what I'm considering. The grads are for sky/clouds. With non grad filters I meant full ND filters, sorry for not being more clear. The grad for landscape, the full frame NDs for smoothing water, extra long exposures to remove people, etc. What grades would be best to start with? I'd like to add one or two full ones, my guess would be darker ones are better for my intended purpose?

TaDa
THREAD ­ STARTER
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 02, 2013 13:39 |  #59

I tend to use my 3 and 10 stop filters the most, so if you're looking at 1 GND to buy, a three stop would probably work best as a place to start. The threes get pretty dark toward the top, but you can always move the plate up to get lighter density

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 02, 2013 20:15 |  #60

thanks! I think I'll get the set they offer and add one full 10 stopper to play with, we'll see where that gets me :-)

sponsored links

58,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beginner's Guide to Neutral Density Filters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.