Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 14:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Walkie-Talkie Headset?

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 18, 2012 14:22 |  #1

Any of you wedding phtogs that work as a team use a wireless headseet to communicate that you'd recommend? Thanks!

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2012 20:56 |  #2

Hah, this sounds like a neat idea. I've thought it would be handy for us to have walkie talkies for shooting weddings on large estates...however, there are always cell phones...

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 18, 2012 21:15 as a reply to  @ brokensocial's post |  #3

My wife and I use Garmin Rino650 with eBay "secret service" style acoustic air tube headsets when we shoot rally's, we haven't shot a wedding since we got the radios, but they cold be useful in the church (whispering) or when we are separated so we don't need to yell

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 18, 2012 21:17 |  #4

thanks!

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 18, 2012 21:18 |  #5

Beware the frequencies in use by the church if they have wireless mics on the officiant and/or the happy couple...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 19, 2012 00:14 |  #6

Reminds me of the Zach and Jody workshop. The way they used it, it seemed very effective. I will probably get a set when I have a set 2nd shooter.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 19, 2012 01:11 |  #7

I tried it. Didn't like it. First you have this extra radio attached to your body, when you already have a bunch of crap attached to your body and swinging around all over the place. It's easy for the earpiece cord to get tangled with all the camera and bag straps all over the place. We attached the radios to our belts. They occasionally fell off. It feels very awkward to wear the radio on the belt when you sit down into your car. And then during receptions, everything is already so loud that you can't even hear what the other person is saying anyways.

After a few weddings bumbling around with radios, we just reverted back to our hand signals. Works much better.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

biffstephens
43 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 19, 2012 01:23 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #8

I have a friend that is an NBA photographer and his wife is usually in the upper lever and they are looking for the same thing..phone service is crap in the arena, it useless!

Any 2 way communication advice would be great!!

Thanks!

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 19, 2012 04:06 |  #9

Try mobile phone and a bluetooth headset. All the benefits and no cables to get in the way.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 19, 2012 06:02 as a reply to  @ Tiberius's post |  #10

Well we ended up going with this set http://www.123radios.c​om/BuyItNow.asp?PID=53​01 (external link) & in line ear pieces, not wireless. Yeah. Lloyd I thought about the aggravation of having yet something else on my body but I hope I can find a way to stick mine either in my ShootSac or clip it to the Shoot Sac strap. My husband will have to deal with his being on his belt :) I also thought about the cell & blutooth but you'd have to actually call each other, right? I just didn't think that would work out so well, maybe I miised soemthing on thinking that one over. We'll see how it goes! We mainly wanted the communication for when we aren't in each other's sight, such as when I'm shooting the bride & girls, & he's shooting the guys - trying to keep them from seeing each other when they aren't doing a First Look is sometimes stressful.

Gear List

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 19, 2012 08:04 |  #11

Michelle Brooks Photography wrote in post #14291418 (external link)
We mainly wanted the communication for when we aren't in each other's sight, such as when I'm shooting the bride & girls, & he's shooting the guys - trying to keep them from seeing each other when they aren't doing a First Look is sometimes stressful.

yeah, this is definitely the time of the day that communication between you guys is the most important, isn't it!?
we usually text each other during this part of the day if we need to.
i hate doing that at any other part of the day though, so unproffessional to me!

this past weekend, i kept asking a bridesmaid to call the other half of the bridal party haha

good luck with the walkie-talkies though!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Panoz
195 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 19, 2012 08:07 |  #12

I absolutely used headset radios when I did weddings. It was invaluable to see where my assistant was, what shots they could get, where was the equipment, etc. Highly recommended.

Canon G12, Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2012 10:24 |  #13

This was an interesting tidbit on that link you posted.

"These Walkie-Talkies are light duty personal walkie-talkies and cannot be licensed for Business use. 123radios.com specializes in Business Walkie-Talkies and we gladly refer our business customers to our Business Walkie-Talkie Department."

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 19, 2012 10:41 |  #14

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #14292509 (external link)
This was an interesting tidbit on that link you posted.

"These Walkie-Talkies are light duty personal walkie-talkies and cannot be licensed for Business use. 123radios.com specializes in Business Walkie-Talkies and we gladly refer our business customers to our Business Walkie-Talkie Department."

Yeah, I saw that too, Bryan, but the rep who helped me told me that was there because they deal with a lot of big companies that buy mass volumes & need licensing. She said our situation wouldn't fall into that category. Is there soemthing in particualr you feel would be a problem? I mean, why would need our set licensed??

Gear List

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2012 13:32 |  #15

Michelle Brooks Photography wrote in post #14292613 (external link)
Yeah, I saw that too, Bryan, but the rep who helped me told me that was there because they deal with a lot of big companies that buy mass volumes & need licensing. She said our situation wouldn't fall into that category. Is there soemthing in particualr you feel would be a problem? I mean, why would need our set licensed??

I have no idea, and no problem with it. I am really happy to hear that you talked to a rep too. I just wanted to mention it because I saw it. I would love to know how these work for you!

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

11,983 views & 0 likes for this thread
Walkie-Talkie Headset?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.