Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 02:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Service Advisory - Light Leak Phenomenon

BHollis
63 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2012 10:38 |  #61

ChrisJ_SLH wrote in post #14285153 (external link)
That's interesting. I haven't personally been able to get any change to register with the lens cap of yet, not that I've been trying a lot.

One question for you, as your lens cap was off, was there any possibility of reflected illumination from either the LCD back light or flash light to find its way through the lens in a normal manner, ie could they have just been lighting the room (or whatever) sufficiently to cause the meter change?

I suppose it's possible, but it strikes me as extremely unlikely. The LCD light isn't all that bright, and the light from it would have had to shine upward onto an 8 foot ceiling (although i suppose some light could have shown on my face), and then been reflected forward onto the wall I was metering. I just don't think so. Moreover, if this were the source of the light entering the camera, I would have expected the flashlight to have had a noticeably greater effect than the LCD light, since the flashlight was emitting far more light into the room.

But if someone's interested, they might try the test again controlling for this factor. As for me, at this point I think I'll just keep shooting and enjoying my 5D3 and wait for Canon's pronouncement,

sponsored links
ChrisJ_SLH
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2012 11:39 |  #62

BHollis wrote in post #14286595 (external link)
I suppose it's possible, but it strikes me as extremely unlikely. The LCD light isn't all that bright, and the light from it would have had to shine upward onto an 8 foot ceiling (although i suppose some light could have shown on my face), and then been reflected forward onto the wall I was metering. I just don't think so. Moreover, if this were the source of the light entering the camera, I would have expected the flashlight to have had a noticeably greater effect than the LCD light, since the flashlight was emitting far more light into the room.

Thanks for the further info.

BHollis wrote in post #14286595 (external link)
But if someone's interested, they might try the test again controlling for this factor. As for me, at this point I think I'll just keep shooting and enjoying my 5D3 and wait for Canon's pronouncement,

Couldn't agree more. In real terms not an issue to me and many others and doesn't detract from a great camera.

cfibanez
857 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 18, 2012 12:46 |  #63

BHollis wrote in post #14284233 (external link)
Since the operating range of the 5D3's light meter is Ev 1 to 20 according the manual, I decided to try testing for the light leak phenomenon at a light level equivalent to Ev 1--the minimum light light level at which the 5D3's light meter can be relied upon to provide an accurate reading. Although I'm not an expert on Ev levels, after consulting a chart on Wikipedia, I determined that at f/5.6 and ISO 100, Ev 1 would correspond to a shutter speed of 15 seconds. (If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure someone will tell me.) So I set my 5D3 to ISO 100, and my lens to f/5.6, took off the lens cap, covered the viewfinder eyepiece, and found a dark environment where the 5D3's meter gave me a shutter speed of 15 seconds. Then I pressed the LCD illumination button to see what, if anything, would happen.

Having previously convinced myself that the leak leak phenomenon was only likely to manifest itself at Ev levels far below Ev 1, I fully expected to see no change in the shutter speed. But to my surprise, I did see a change, although only a slight one--from 15 seconds to 13 seconds. Shining a flash light directly into the top LCD resulted in a similar change.

I then repeated the test by moving to a very slightly brighter area where the meter gave me a reading of 5 seconds--corresponding to something just over Ev 2. When I pressed the LCD illumination button this time, I saw no change, nor did I see any change with the flashlight.

So, what conclusions do I draw from this. Well, contrary to my earlier assumption, it does appear that this phenomenon could affect metering within the 5D3's published metering range--but only at the very bottom of the range--around Ev 1--and only very slightly--the difference between 15 seconds and 13 seconds. If you're trying to meter at lower light levels, say around Ev -4 where most of the testing I've seen posted has been occurring, the effect on the meter reading will likely be more significant, but of course, any metering you might try to do at Ev -4, or any other level below Ev 1, is already inherently unreliable.

Bottom line for me: Yes, the phenomenon is real and can affect meter readings in very low light levels of Ev 1 and below, but so long as I avoid using the lcd illumination button while metering in the dark, or shining flash lights into the top of my camera, I just don't see it being a problem. And I don't think that's going to be difficult for me, since after owning my 7D for around 2-1/2 years, I don't recall ever using the lcd illumination button.

It will be interesting to see what Canon says about all this, though.

This is perhaps the first most useful response I have seen to this issue.
I am to pick my 5D3 in a few days and was naturally concerned about this.
Thanks for sharing the results of your test!

5D4 | 7D2 | 11-24/4.0 L | 16-35/2.8 L III | 24/1.4 L II | 24-105/4.0 L IS | 40/2.8 STM | 85/1.2 L II | 100/2.8 L macro IS | 70-200/2.8 L IS II | 100-400 L IS II | 400/4.0 DO L II | 580EXII | EF 1.4x III | Gitzo monopod GM2541 | Gitzo tripod GT2541 | Really Right Stuff ball head & plates | B+W & Singh-Ray filters

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,031 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 18, 2012 13:45 |  #64

Well I am of the opinion that this "issue" can't have any real impact on performance in 99.9999% of my real world use. I am curious though are there any other "issues" that I have missed that may actualy be worth being concerned about? Was there something about the rear LCD? Sorry, I just don't have the patience to wade through all the posts. Thanks...as you may be able to tell from my signature I have a bit of interest!

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 18, 2012 13:53 |  #65

idsurfer wrote in post #14287544 (external link)
Well I am of the opinion that this "issue" can't have any real impact on performance in 99.9999% of my real world use. I am curious though are there any other "issues" that I have missed that may actualy be worth being concerned about? Was there something about the rear LCD? Sorry, I just don't have the patience to wade through all the posts. Thanks...as you may be able to tell from my signature I have a bit of interest!

There are a couple of other issues, which are actual issues, yes. There have been reports of error 80 shutdowns plaguing some cameras, this seems to be linked to use of WiFi cards I believe. There is also a problem with noisy IS on the 200 f/2 lens and (I think) the 800, although there is supposed to be a firmware fix in the works for that one.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 18, 2012 13:56 |  #66

BHollis wrote in post #14284233 (external link)
Since the operating range of the 5D3's light meter is Ev 1 to 20 according the manual, I decided to try testing for the light leak phenomenon at a light level equivalent to Ev 1--the minimum light light level at which the 5D3's light meter can be relied upon to provide an accurate reading. Although I'm not an expert on Ev levels, after consulting a chart on Wikipedia, I determined that at f/5.6 and ISO 100, Ev 1 would correspond to a shutter speed of 15 seconds. (If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure someone will tell me.) So I set my 5D3 to ISO 100, and my lens to f/5.6, took off the lens cap, covered the viewfinder eyepiece, and found a dark environment where the 5D3's meter gave me a shutter speed of 15 seconds. Then I pressed the LCD illumination button to see what, if anything, would happen.

Having previously convinced myself that the leak leak phenomenon was only likely to manifest itself at Ev levels far below Ev 1, I fully expected to see no change in the shutter speed. But to my surprise, I did see a change, although only a slight one--from 15 seconds to 13 seconds. Shining a flash light directly into the top LCD resulted in a similar change.

I then repeated the test by moving to a very slightly brighter area where the meter gave me a reading of 5 seconds--corresponding to something just over Ev 2. When I pressed the LCD illumination button this time, I saw no change, nor did I see any change with the flashlight.

So, what conclusions do I draw from this. Well, contrary to my earlier assumption, it does appear that this phenomenon could affect metering within the 5D3's published metering range--but only at the very bottom of the range--around Ev 1--and only very slightly--the difference between 15 seconds and 13 seconds. If you're trying to meter at lower light levels, say around Ev -4 where most of the testing I've seen posted has been occurring, the effect on the meter reading will likely be more significant, but of course, any metering you might try to do at Ev -4, or any other level below Ev 1, is already inherently unreliable.

Bottom line for me: Yes, the phenomenon is real and can affect meter readings in very low light levels of Ev 1 and below, but so long as I avoid using the lcd illumination button while metering in the dark, or shining flash lights into the top of my camera, I just don't see it being a problem. And I don't think that's going to be difficult for me, since after owning my 7D for around 2-1/2 years, I don't recall ever using the lcd illumination button.

It will be interesting to see what Canon says about all this, though.

Great test, I was unable to reproduce it in very dimly lit room, but could make shutter speed change from 8" to 6" when turning LCD illumination on in pitch black closet, it was so dark I didn't see anything through viewfinder. Chances of me shooting in such conditions - I'd say close to none, shining flashlight onto top LCD or turning on back light at the same time - I probably have better chances winning in a State lottery or being hit by a meteor.

cmosman
460 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 18, 2012 15:25 as a reply to  @ Andrew_WOT's post |  #67

Just a point, but why not use the back LCD and change the screen using the info button to check settings. Far easy to read and see than the top display ?? And then you can leave the lens cap off !

Cameras & Lens all due to my kind wife :D

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,031 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 18, 2012 18:38 |  #68

sandpiper wrote in post #14287586 (external link)
There are a couple of other issues, which are actual issues, yes. There have been reports of error 80 shutdowns plaguing some cameras, this seems to be linked to use of WiFi cards I believe. There is also a problem with noisy IS on the 200 f/2 lens and (I think) the 800, although there is supposed to be a firmware fix in the works for that one.

Thanks...I don't an prob will never own either of those lenses. Also, I don't even know how to use a Wifi card with acamera. I feel like I am prob. good to go. BTW, isn't it not out of the ordinary for new cameras to have little glitches like these mentioned? Then they get fixed with firmware updates?

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 18, 2012 19:16 |  #69

idsurfer wrote in post #14289027 (external link)
BTW, isn't it not out of the ordinary for new cameras to have little glitches like these mentioned? Then they get fixed with firmware updates?

Nothing comes out perfect the first time. Even the D800 is experiencing back focus problems, so yes. That's why there are firmware updates anyways. ;)

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 18, 2012 19:19 |  #70

Thanks...I don't an prob will never own either of those lenses. Also, I don't even know how to use a Wifi card with acamera. I feel like I am prob. good to go. BTW, isn't it not out of the ordinary for new cameras to have little glitches like these mentioned? Then they get fixed with firmware updates?

You're right, it isn't unusual for the early buyers to be testers and find the odd glitches. They do generally get sorted out though, either through firmware or hardware, which you can send it in for. Anything that Canon develops a fix for will be retro fitted to all early cameras.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 18, 2012 23:41 |  #71

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2267 (external link)

5D3 and a few lens
es.

matt84au
143 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 19, 2012 04:37 |  #72

I wonder if this is true? I order mind back in march & was told I would be getting mind with in the 1 lot to come in, but since the light leak has come to life my camera order in now on hold from Canon Aus, anybody else in the same boat.

Matt
Canon 5D Mark III & 50D Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II 24-105 IS L 17-85 IS, 100-400 IS L, 50mm 1.8 II & 580 EX II

http://mattypix.smugmu​g.com (external link)

dchen99
860 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 19, 2012 08:19 |  #73

BTW, isn't it not out of the ordinary for new cameras to have little glitches like these mentioned? Then they get fixed with firmware updates?

That's common for not only cameras, also other stuff like cars. If you can wait, it's a smart to not just rush out to get the first batch.

www.flashonstudio.com (external link)

ChrisJ_SLH
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 19, 2012 09:12 |  #74

matt84au wrote in post #14291274 (external link)
I wonder if this is true? I order mind back in march & was told I would be getting mind with in the 1 lot to come in, but since the light leak has come to life my camera order in now on hold from Canon Aus, anybody else in the same boat.

While at the same time we have this...

http://www.canonrumors​.com …iii-not-getting-recalled/ (external link)

While I don't personally have any practical issue with mine, I hope Canon release an official statement soon just to quell all the FUD on this issue.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,031 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 19, 2012 09:16 |  #75

dchen99 wrote in post #14291791 (external link)
That's common for not only cameras, also other stuff like cars. If you can wait, it's a smart to not just rush out to get the first batch.

If I have a camera on the way is it in the first batch? Just curious. I have decided that this "issue" is not ever in the slightest going to effect me, but hey, I'm as AR as the next camera geek! ;)

Cory
flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links

124,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Service Advisory - Light Leak Phenomenon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.