Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Apr 2012 (Monday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is this photo so hard to softproof?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 16, 2012 22:26 |  #1

I spent about an hour today, trying to get this photo ready to print on Red River Paper Canvas. The softproof was really horrible, but when it obviously wasn't going to get any better, I printed it and the resulting print was so bad! Muddy and dark. Hardly any color at all.

So was it the photo or the paper? This was my first time to print this photo, and my first time with the Paper Canvas. So...

I tried softproofing it on Ilford Smooth Pearl, which I use a lot, and I couldn't get a decent-looking softproof there either.

Then I took a photo that I've printed many times, softproofed it with the paper canvas profile and it looked fine.

So the problem is the photo. But why is this one harder to softproof than any other one? Any ideas?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 16, 2012 23:00 |  #2

On my monitor it's splotchy, has no detail, and seems blown.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 16, 2012 23:25 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #3

:p Well, it's been posterized, filtered, and otherwise abused all to heck and gone! So what you're seeing is correct.:D
The problem is that it doesn't print (or softproof) the way it looks on screen. The best I've been able to come up with has practically no color in it at all. The tree trunks have various shades of red, purple, yellow, etc, and they come out pretty much like various shades of brown. The green masses look like dark camouflage in the prints. The only thing that's right is the white of the flowers.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 17, 2012 03:03 |  #4

ncjohn wrote in post #14278759 (external link)
The tree trunks have various shades of red, purple, yellow, etc, and they come out pretty much like various shades of brown. The green masses look like dark camouflage in the prints. The only thing that's right is the white of the flowers.

How big is the actual final edited version of the image that you are trying to print?

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 17, 2012 05:28 |  #5

Softproofs like I'd expect for my R2880/Archival Matte / Perceptual…

Obviously, you'll get less vibrant colors then on glossy paper.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 17, 2012 12:13 |  #6

isoMorphic wrote in post #14279373 (external link)
How big is the actual final edited version of the image that you are trying to print?

Approximately 3000x2400.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 17, 2012 12:16 |  #7

René Damkot wrote in post #14279650 (external link)
Softproofs like I'd expect for my R2880/Archival Matte / Perceptual…

Crap! That means it's just me.

Obviously, you'll get less vibrant colors then on glossy paper.

Yeah, and that's what I don't like about matte paper, but this one's just horrible.
Thanks for checking it out.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 19, 2012 07:42 |  #8

For reference: screenshot (converted to sRGB) of the image softproofed for R2880/Archival Matte. Simulate paper white checked.

HOSTED PHOTO

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2012 10:27 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #9

Yeah, that looks pretty good. Except for using a different profile, it's the same setup I was using but I sure can't get it to look like that.:cry: I spent some time again yesterday trying to softproof it for some canvas papers that I've ordered and I did better than before but it's still not as good as yours. Can you tell me what edits you made to get it there?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,831 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 19, 2012 12:10 |  #10

When you say "same set up" are you also using the same printer, the R2880? Perhaps your printer/paper combo cannot handle the gamut of this image. Have you tried different rendering intents?

Also - in certain situations, for whatever reason, it may be better to simply specify the paper type to your print driver and let the "Printer Handles Colors" option control the process.

kirk

Kirk
---

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2012 13:12 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #11

No, not the same printer, I'm using a Pro9000MkII; I meant that I've got the same options set as in the screen shot. Yes, I've tried different rendering intents and different papers.

I'm certainly not an expert on this stuff, but it seems to me that it would have a rather narrow gamut.

Also, I know that whatever edits René made to arrive at that proof won't have the same effect on my paper with my printer, but I was just curious what they were because I've gone round and around, back and forth, like a dog chasing his tail. Levels, curves, hue/saturation, bright/contrast, over and over, start over from scratch, same thing all over again. I've never gotten a proof that looks as good as René's.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 19, 2012 13:20 |  #12

Looks like the original is muddy and dark, splotchy and has little color. It doesn't even look like a photo.

Gear List

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2012 14:30 as a reply to  @ Numenorean's post |  #13

:)It's not supposed to look like a photo. But on my screen it's not muddy; it is dark, but it has a lot of color in it. My softproofs don't.

I suppose someone will suggest that my monitor is probably too bright; that's often the case when someone says their prints are too dark. My monitor's calibrated and my prints look great; just not this print.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,831 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 19, 2012 15:53 |  #14

Here's what I get on my three+ year old MacBook Pro with your printer-paper profile.

I converted the screenshot to sRGB (top image). The lower attached image is your original post.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2012 16:48 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #15

And can you tell me what edits you made, kirkt?
I really appreciate you guys taking the time to proof this for me. And speaking of that, how much time did this take you?

sponsored links

3,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why is this photo so hard to softproof?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.