Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 15:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is 5D mark III worth it?

5W0L3
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 19, 2012 15:25 |  #1

I understand pro photographers decision, who do photography for a living, to upgrade to a Mark III. But for a part time photographer, or for a newbie who is looking to go from a crop censor to a full frame camera, is it worth spending $3.5K to get a Mark III? or would you advice them to get a Mark II instead and save on about $1.5K?

Manav
5D III x 2 (gripped) | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 24-70mm IIL | 70-200mm IIL | Some strobes & some speedlights.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
vegasboy
Goldmember
2,366 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 19, 2012 15:27 |  #2

For someone who doesn't do it for a living. I don't see the problem in going with a great priced 5DII and some premium glass, instead of going for the mark III.

-Alex
5D3 Gripped | 7D Gripped | 35 f/1.4L | 85 f/1.2L II | 24-105 f/4L | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | Alienbees |
Fotosbyalex.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) |
Like my Facebook (external link) | Instagram @evoalex (external link)

imports
134 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 19, 2012 15:28 |  #3

For a Newbie or just an hobby i would put my money on 5D II and put the rest on some fine glass.

5D MarkIIGripped
24-105 F4 EF L
16-35mm L
EX-580II flash
85mm 1.8

siliconhybrid
25 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2012 15:29 as a reply to  @ imports's post |  #4

worth every penny for me

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 19, 2012 15:36 as a reply to  @ siliconhybrid's post |  #5

although the problem is after owning a 5D2 you'll want a 5D3 even more badly.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

dylshi
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 19, 2012 15:37 as a reply to  @ siliconhybrid's post |  #6

It's not about "worth it". If you shoot for money and you need it, then go get it. If you're just a hobbyist and you want it, then go buy it. Everybody knows it is a different body with the latest technology than 5d2.

mondayshift
Goldmember
2,301 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 19, 2012 15:41 |  #7

dylshi wrote in post #14294180 (external link)
It's not about "worth it". If you shoot for money and you need it, then go get it. If you're just a hobbyist and you want it, then go buy it. Everybody knows it is a different body with the latest technology than 5d2.

this.

“Sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.”
- Jake the Dog -
flickr (external link)

CaptB412
219 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 19, 2012 15:42 |  #8

As hobbyists or professionals we each have reasons why or why not to pay the $1,500 difference. My daughter plays soccer at night on fields where the lighting is less than acceptable. After seeing night lacrosse photos posted in other threads, I pulled the trigger. The quick and accurate low light focus at high ISO is worth the extra $1,500 cost if it means that I can shoot pics of my daughter playing night games and get better results. The ability to capture more of those memories is priceless - to me.

Canon G.A.S. Addict |Many Cameras | Many Lenses | Many Flashes |

5W0L3
THREAD ­ STARTER
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 19, 2012 15:42 |  #9

dylshi wrote in post #14294180 (external link)
If you shoot for money and you need it, then go get it.

are you saying 5D2 can't produce results just as good as 5D3 that are worthy of money getting? :p

Manav
5D III x 2 (gripped) | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 24-70mm IIL | 70-200mm IIL | Some strobes & some speedlights.
Flickr (external link)

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2012 15:44 |  #10

Just buy it... stop wasting time. :)

Mashimaro
818 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 19, 2012 15:44 |  #11

If you need/want it and can afford it, i don't see why not :)

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2012 15:45 |  #12

Depends on the person. This questions only you can answer for yourself.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

dylshi
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 19, 2012 15:45 |  #13

5W0L3 wrote in post #14294202 (external link)
are you saying 5D2 can't produce results just as good as 5D3 that are worthy of money getting? :p

I did not say it. You should ask your self the question.

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 19, 2012 15:48 |  #14

Either way, you're going to yearn for it sometime in the future or end up buying it. I considered alot on trading my 5D3 or selling it to just get a 5D2 again, but the three small improvements of AF, higher ISO and AF won't allow me to go back. The one thing that i do miss is how the 5D2 body felt. I like the boxy camera compared to the curves of the similar 7D frame.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 19, 2012 15:48 as a reply to  @ dylshi's post |  #15

Only you know the answer to questions like this.

Is it worth it? Well, that depends on what you want. If you feel you need the better AF then it may well be. If you do mostly studio work, then a 5DII will probably be almost as good at a much lower price.

The answer also depends on your available leisure money. If you earn $30k a year, then you would probably be better served saving some money for something else. If you earn $300k a year, then you probably won't notice the extra cost of the mk III.

Look at the features, weigh up what will actually be of use to you in the features you only get on the mk III, then consider what else you could get with the same money instead, a new lens perhaps, and would that be of more use than a slightly better body.

We can't tell you if a mk III is worth it to you, only you can decide that. I am currently trying to decide between a mk II plus something else, or a mk III, but whatever I decide upon will be the best option for me, it may not be the best option for you.

sponsored links

37,144 views & 0 likes for this thread
is 5D mark III worth it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.