Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 12, 2012 13:13 |  #376

jubilatu wrote in post #14252608 (external link)
9 months ago, as a tired 50d owner, i would disagree. But now, as a frustrated NEX owner (with no good native lenses) and with 5d2 at so low prices...
I like BOKEH, i shot at f1.4 with the nex and i love it, but i am drooling thinking about how the background could look with a FF at f1.4...
Never have a FF and i am thinking that they will have a good resale value after a year or two (compared with MFT that is bringing 4-8 new cameras/year), so, if i will get tyred again, there will be no problems switching.

If you were a tired 50D owner, if you switch back to a DSLR you'll be a tired whatever-DSLR-you-have owner :) If you already know you won't carry around a DSLR, all the bokeh in the world is meaningless if you don't have your camera with you. Even a compact camera would be better in that situation.

I sympathize though. Sometimes I want to have my cake and eat it too--have a small, light system with FF image quality. Hopefully the day will come when some manufacturer figures that out, and when they do there will be much rejoicing.

jubilatu wrote in post #14254078 (external link)
regarding the lens, i have to 2 problems:
1) Pro MFT - all the lens are telecentric (rays of light are perpendicular on the sensor) - that, theoretically, could improve the corners image quality.

The telecentricity requirement was for regular 4/3, not Micro 4/3.

2) Pro 5d2 - MFT lenses are, apparently, not well designed and need firmware update/intervention - even the raw files are modified.

How much affect these the quality of a monitor viewing/ large print - maybe some of the switchers could tell.

I would say that m4/3 lenses are very well designed, precisely because they get the balance right between optical excellence and software correction. A careful balance between the two is what keeps the lenses performing well in such small packages. Theoretically there's a limit to how much you can correct for flaws in software, but for my use I haven't seen m4/3 push the boundaries beyond that point. Basically if you didn't tell me there was software correction I wouldn't know from looking at the pictures. If you want measurements, slrgear.com does a good job with m43/ lenses. I think you'll see that the best m4/3 lenses are stellar.

Then again I'm not a guy who pixel peeps from corner to corner on every shot, so consider my comments in that context. People who need to have everything in the frame absolutely tack sharp should stick with the better optically corrected lenses like the Panasonic 7-14mm and 25mm. I, on the other hand, am perfectly happy with some optical compromises for smaller size, which to me is the essence of m4/3.

sponsored links
EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 19, 2012 17:19 |  #377

bedojo wrote in post #14222366 (external link)
It has been a few weeks since i made the switch!
AND I AM LOVING IT!!!
I actually take my camera around with me

Here is an image from today, my bro came over and dropped of some cupcakes for me and my girlfriend. so I had to snap a shot with the 45mm, haven't used it much yet. only had time to take about 5 photos. here is the one i like.

the SOOC Jpeg is on my flickr, this is raw edit with a little film feel.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …thaniel-allen/6905888676/  (external link)
Fred Raw Edit (external link) by Nathaniel.Allen (external link), on Flickr

I am seriously happy I switched to m4/3 as it can still do great in studio, and i actually take it around with me places and use it!

these shots are great! i see in ur sig you have the OMD EM5. did you get the camera already? can't wait to see some photos from there and in-depth review of it as well!!

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2012 18:10 |  #378

I added a Olympus E-PL1 with the kitlens recently and i love the little powerhouse, it produces great and sharp photos. It may not be fast but that's okay as i'm not shooting sports with this. :)

Some examples.. sorry about the size on some of these photos. Hope it's still okay.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,112 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 19, 2012 19:10 |  #379

Wow, those are incredible! Terrific resolution. The size on the tulips is way over, though. Reckon a mod will delete it at some point...

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 19, 2012 23:02 |  #380

For a while there I was 100% m4/3. I had the Gf1 + gh1 and a Ep1 and 14-140mm, 20 1.7. It was nice and I thought it performed decent, There seems to be a substantial difference now. The cameras seem to have improved substantially in AF speed. I am excited to see so many embrace it. I still use my GF1 quite a bit. I personally think the quality is fine for anything up to 17". I have done a show in which I used all 17" prints and nobody had criticisms of image quality

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

Camera_User87
61 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 19, 2012 23:08 |  #381
bannedPermanent ban

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14254341 (external link)
If you were a tired 50D owner, if you switch back to a DSLR you'll be a tired whatever-DSLR-you-have owner :) If you already know you won't carry around a DSLR, all the bokeh in the world is meaningless if you don't have your camera with you. Even a compact camera would be better in that situation.

I sympathize though. Sometimes I want to have my cake and eat it too--have a small, light system with FF image quality. Hopefully the day will come when some manufacturer figures that out, and when they do there will be much rejoicing.

The telecentricity requirement was for regular 4/3, not Micro 4/3.

I would say that m4/3 lenses are very well designed, precisely because they get the balance right between optical excellence and software correction. A careful balance between the two is what keeps the lenses performing well in such small packages. Theoretically there's a limit to how much you can correct for flaws in software, but for my use I haven't seen m4/3 push the boundaries beyond that point. Basically if you didn't tell me there was software correction I wouldn't know from looking at the pictures. If you want measurements, slrgear.com does a good job with m43/ lenses. I think you'll see that the best m4/3 lenses are stellar.

Then again I'm not a guy who pixel peeps from corner to corner on every shot, so consider my comments in that context. People who need to have everything in the frame absolutely tack sharp should stick with the better optically corrected lenses like the Panasonic 7-14mm and 25mm. I, on the other hand, am perfectly happy with some optical compromises for smaller size, which to me is the essence of m4/3.

Leica M9

5d Mark III | 50mm 1.2 L | 430EX II | 70-200 2.8 IS USM L II ---- Flickr (external link) ---
German by the way, therefore the weird English :3

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 19, 2012 23:22 |  #382

Camera_User87 wrote in post #14296435 (external link)
Leica M9

No thanks--overpriced and no AF. I'm a child of the AF era :)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 19, 2012 23:24 |  #383

^ X100 or XPro1? Not full frame, but excellent APS-C quality in retro and compact packages.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 19, 2012 23:31 |  #384

brokensocial wrote in post #14296498 (external link)
^ X100 or XPro1? Not full frame, but excellent APS-C quality in retro and compact packages.

Gave them both a close look but AF is too slow. If they get AF working well in the X-Pro2 or whatever comes next I'll circle back around for another look, especially once they have the 23mm f/2 for the X mount.

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 19, 2012 23:56 |  #385

EOS mE wrote in post #14294721 (external link)
these shots are great! i see in ur sig you have the OMD EM5. did you get the camera already? can't wait to see some photos from there and in-depth review of it as well!!

Thanks, I atcually did a last minute switch to the xpro1... :oops:
I wish i had the funds for both systems, but i was only able to have one, and after playing with the xp1, I felt the m4/3 were just missing something... except the af atcually works on the m4/3

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

Tonyz
223 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 20, 2012 00:01 |  #386
bannedPermanent ban

dino8031 wrote in post #14248394 (external link)
All of this discussion illustrates that there are a lot of great choices out there in the m4/3 world at all sorts of price points, but mostly at expensive price points, of course. :rolleyes:

Especially if you only want a mirrorless with full frame.

Leica M9 $$$$$$$$$$.

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 20, 2012 00:21 |  #387

honestly leica is just a brand.
Its good but... so much other stuff is just as good even better.
but it is the only compact full frame :S that i know of

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

Tonyz
223 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 20, 2012 00:52 |  #388
bannedPermanent ban

bedojo wrote in post #14296686 (external link)
honestly leica is just a brand.
Its good but... so much other stuff is just as good even better.
but it is the only compact full frame :S that i know of

It is indeed the one and only.

But I am pretty sure that Canon, Nikon or Sony will give us affordable mirrorless FF before the end of 2013.

The demand is definitely out there.

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 20, 2012 09:04 |  #389

There's plenty of compact full frame cameras out there!

Shoot film ;)

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 20, 2012 09:39 |  #390

Tonyz wrote in post #14296774 (external link)
It is indeed the one and only.

But I am pretty sure that Canon, Nikon or Sony will give us affordable mirrorless FF before the end of 2013.

The demand is definitely out there.

I had to laugh at this one man, sorry.

First of all its hard enough to get them to release a full frame in full DSLR body
Second, it would never be in-expensive. Simply because it would be Nikon, Sony or Canon.
Third, Nikon mirrorless system already exist and its rubbish, Canon has non and Sony wont commit to decent lenses at an affordable price.

Any new camera that comes out will also include new features, which means more money. Certainly anything with a full frame system in a compact body will demand alot as in theory it will take much more than just putting a sensor in a smaller body and calling it a day. Why make a full frame and then have no viewfinder. Electronic viewfinder = more CACHE...(cash).

IMAGE: http://i41.tinypic.com/28p7xg.gif

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

sponsored links

81,874 views & 2 likes for this thread
DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.