Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,835 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 19, 2012 17:34 as a reply to  @ post 14294154 |  #7411

Gonz

This hypersynch is all new to me. I really dot understand the mechanics of it very well even after a talk with Tech assiatance at pocket wizards. I found out about it by accident when i took some shots and i was at 1/500 and didnt see the gate:eek:. So i decided to see how far i could go,,,,,just about messed my pants when i got to 1/3000 at F/2.8:lol:

so i called pocket wizard asking for answers as to why the gate was not in the middle of the shot with the Flex system and they told me it was Hypersynch. From That day forward, when im outside, Ive got the new wizards. The Plus11's are now used for studio work, receptions, and when im inside and dont need to exceed gate speed. Im blown away at how good it works. Im going to be shooting seniors with a flash outdoors at F/2.0 @ 1/1500 all summer long.....cant wait. My 135L has found a whole new life:p

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
CanonGrl01
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 19, 2012 17:55 |  #7412

So much flash talk. I still can't get good results with ETTL :( (in all farness I haven't tried at all to learn)

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 19, 2012 19:13 |  #7413

CanonGrl01 wrote in post #14294878 (external link)
So much flash talk. I still can't get good results with ETTL :( (in all farness I haven't tried at all to learn)

Yeah. ETTL is a bit inconsistent, but it definitely has its place. (on top of my camera for fill flash at -2)

Wes
http://www.wesmerritt.​com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/wesmerrittphotograp​hy/ (external link)
Olympus OMD M43

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,835 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 19, 2012 19:24 |  #7414

That flash is the most important tool in my bag and it should be in yours as well,,, lighting is everything

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 19, 2012 19:58 |  #7415

umphotography wrote in post #14295341 (external link)
... lighting is everything

True. However flash/strobe is not always the best answer. Plenty of awesome photography can be done without them. The problem is sooner or later you will need to be able to create your own light, and then knowing how to flash will pay off big time.

Wes
Olympus OMD M43

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2012 20:25 |  #7416

windpig wrote in post #14293673 (external link)

edit

should say high speed sync, I just finished trying to get PWs to work with Elinchrome Ranger RX AS to get +1/160 to no avail.

thanks jakeAHearts

Windpig... whats going on with you PW and Ranger... which PWs are you using.
I was playing with it this week end and got sync up to 1/8000... and the picture was overexposed with too much flash (mind you i wasn't trying to take a picture, i was just trying to get it as fast as i could.

my set up though was

• PWTT5 on 1D4, PowerST4 on Ranger RX Speed AS - more importantly, i was using the ControlTL channel on both the TT5 and ST4.
  • the higher the ISO the more the pic was overexposed (of course).
  • But i have to have them both in Forced TTL mode (thats what the manual said anyway).
  • I had the Ranger set up with 1 A-head connected to port A for max power
  • Additionally, there is a radial box to uncheck (if you like) that turns off HSS on the TT5 so that you are only using Hyper Sync.... that too allow 1/8000 every attempt...again, this is on the ControlTL channel.
  • Now, i must admit i didn't have time past week-end to move to Standard Channel testing. But according to TT5/ST4 manuals, the option exists to set the standard channels to Hyper Sync, and thereby get 1/8000 on a standard trigger. (okay, i haven't tried that one yet, but will let you know how i fare with it).

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

kfrank
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 19, 2012 20:29 as a reply to  @ post 10696044 |  #7417

love the first shot...not liking the third shot's angle...but great work.

Canon 7D,EFS 70-300, Canon Xti, EFS 17-85mm, Nifty fifty f1.8, 380EX flash

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2012 20:35 |  #7418

smooth3000 wrote in post #14291790 (external link)
Here's a few new ones

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0095 (external link) by Tien Nguyen Photography (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/64586695@N06/6​947223992/  (external link)
IMG_0082 (external link) by Tien Nguyen Photography (external link), on Flickr

very lovely! 1st has a little more character to it... very nice work!

flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,286 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2012 20:51 |  #7419

mikewinburn wrote in post #14295685 (external link)
Windpig... whats going on with you PW and Ranger... which PWs are you using.
I was playing with it this week end and got sync up to 1/8000... and the picture was overexposed with too much flash (mind you i wasn't trying to take a picture, i was just trying to get it as fast as i could.

my set up though was
  • PWTT5 on 1D4, PowerST4 on Ranger RX Speed AS - more importantly, i was using the ControlTL channel on both the TT5 and ST4.
  • the higher the ISO the more the pic was overexposed (of course).
  • But i have to have them both in Forced TTL mode (thats what the manual said anyway).
  • I had the Ranger set up with 1 A-head connected to port A for max power
  • Additionally, there is a radial box to uncheck (if you like) that turns off HSS on the TT5 so that you are only using Hyper Sync.... that too allow 1/8000 every attempt...again, this is on the ControlTL channel.
  • Now, i must admit i didn't have time past week-end to move to Standard Channel testing. But according to TT5/ST4 manuals, the option exists to set the standard channels to Hyper Sync, and thereby get 1/8000 on a standard trigger. (okay, i haven't tried that one yet, but will let you know how i fare with it).

Hi Mike

I chalk it up to the 5DII shutter. I did all of what you mentioned above to no avail. I appreciate you posting the information.

Ralph

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2012 20:59 |  #7420

Ralph,
you tried it on the Standard channel with hyper sync as well? (i didn't but will do so at next chance). i imagine the instructions had in mind a 5Dii as well.... so kinda sounds like something is malfunctioning. oh, also im running version 6.0 on the FlexTT5s and version 5.1 on the PowerST4 - same?)

flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,286 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2012 21:05 |  #7421

Mike

I tested using the standard channel 'cause that's what I had read worked. All new firmware. One of the Aussie photogs that had success a few months ago failed when he tried to replicate. Any chance you wanna test your Rebel and see what you get?

I sent the PWs back, I spent about 6 hours with them and just ran out of time to deal with it. It's cool you've had success with your 1DIV.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,739 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 19, 2012 21:20 |  #7422

Dang it. Now I half wish I had purchased a B1600 instead of the Einstein.

Shane
flickr (external link)

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 19, 2012 21:21 |  #7423

shankarhokie wrote in post #14292005 (external link)
wammeritt... and others using LR for retouching. How do you smoothen skin in LR? I have LR3 and have used the skin smoothing brush with default setting and they are OK, but not great. I use CS5 and the high pass sharpening method and I am much happier with the consistency. Any tips for doing it better in LR3?

First I do not smooth very much if I can help it. One reason I love to shoot at wide apertures.

I do use a brush with about -75 Clarity and -37 Sharpness to apply the effect and then reduce it to taste by hovering over the pin to get the arrow thingy and dragging it to the left. I usually end up around -30 and -13 just depends on the photo. If it is a close up lit with strobe then chances are good that I will have to use Ps. Just too much sharpness in those shots. Even then I concentrate on removing blemishes so I need minimal smoothing.

Here is a before and after of the photo I happen to be processing at the moment. Shot with 85mm @ f/2.8 so no skin smoothing except a little dodge under the eye with a exposure brush. Just Lr4 for processing.

Oh yeah. I froze the motion with a reflector. lol

IMAGE: http://www.aandestudios.com/photos/i-5TmWBmj/0/L/i-5TmWBmj-L.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.aandestudios.com/photos/i-s8T8C4c/0/L/i-s8T8C4c-L.jpg

Wes
Olympus OMD M43

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2012 21:30 |  #7424

windpig wrote in post #14295896 (external link)
Mike

I tested using the standard channel 'cause that's what I had read worked. All new firmware. One of the Aussie photogs that had success a few months ago failed when he tried to replicate. Any chance you wanna test your Rebel and see what you get?

I sent the PWs back, I spent about 6 hours with them and just ran out of time to deal with it. It's cool you've had success with your 1DIV.

drats! on that need to send back the PWs, Ralph. Frustrating... i know the feeling.

good idea-let me pop it on the T1i and see how it fares... i'll try it on ControlTL and Standard and let you know what i come up with.

flickr (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 19, 2012 22:48 |  #7425

So much flash talk. I still can't get good results with ETTL :sad: (in all farness I haven't tried at all to learn)

Manual flash is awesome, your not leaving something up to chance. I think of it as shooting in manual or auto, most of us here prefer manual. :D although Is hold give ettl flashes a chance.

quick question, if I were to buy that canon 580 ex II flash, what do I need to make it work wirelessly with my Canon T2i? right now I got a cheap trigger system from ebay that I like, but it isnt useful for sending canon info back and forth between the camera and flash.

wamerritt wrote in post #14295518 (external link)
True. However flash/strobe is not always the best answer. Plenty of awesome photography can be done without them. The problem is sooner or later you will need to be able to create your own light, and then knowing how to flash will pay off big time.

Knowing how to flash in the wrong situation can get you arrested :D sorry, couldnt resist. :D

Canon investor

sponsored links

2,862,639 views & 3 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.