Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Utility for finding duplicate images?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 04, 2011 13:12 |  #1

Anyone know of a good utility to find duplicate images on my hard drive? Windows Vista/7 compatible.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 04, 2011 15:15 |  #2

http://www.digitalvolc​ano.co.uk/content/dupl​icate-cleaner (external link)

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 04, 2011 16:12 |  #3

Glary utilities.

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 04, 2011 20:21 |  #4

Looks good, but why should I have to sign up to Facebook first. I would bet the author could double his number of users if he didn't make this a requirement. People might even pay him for it if it is any good - but sign up for Facebook...

WesternGuy

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 05, 2011 00:13 |  #5

WesternGuy wrote in post #13495322 (external link)
Looks good, but why should I have to sign up to Facebook first. I would bet the author could double his number of users if he didn't make this a requirement. People might even pay him for it if it is any good - but sign up for Facebook...

WesternGuy

If you go to the download section, there's a link to download from cnet. :rolleyes:
The link to Facebook on the main page is only if you want to 'like' it as a way to advertise for them.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

kingdavidd
217 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 05, 2011 05:41 |  #6

Any for a Mac?

7D | EF 24-105L f4 | Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 | Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3 | 270 EX | Slik Sprint Pro ii | Gitzo GT1541 with Manfrotto Head 496rc2
wish list: 70-200 f2.8 IS ii

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 20, 2012 00:24 |  #7

Thanks all; Duplicate Cleaner worked for me! it's definitely a keeper!

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 22, 2012 01:58 |  #8

solara wrote in post #13496315 (external link)
If you go to the download section, there's a link to download from cnet. :rolleyes:
The link to Facebook on the main page is only if you want to 'like' it as a way to advertise for them.

Thanks.

WG

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 22, 2012 12:54 |  #9

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Duplicate Cleaner only identify exact file duplicates? Last time I searched for a program designed strictly for duplicate images, VisiPics seemed to be the best free utility. It allows you to see its similarity threshold and also set rules regarding which version of an image should have priority for saving (based on location, size, last update, etc.).

For example, if EXIF data was changed or if you have a bunch of thumbnail images, Duplicate Cleaner won't recognize those images as duplicates but VisiPics will. And, depending on the rules you set, VisiPics will assume that you want to save the most recent edits and/or the largest images.

I can't remember the name but there is another duplicate image finder utility that has a big advantage over Visipics. This utility records a database of previously scanned images. This allows you to scan for duplicates between two hard disks (usually a main hard disk and an external drive) then scan additional hard disks without having to re-scan the master (these scans can take hours). VisiPics treats each comparison as a new event and has to rescan the main disk each time.

Another way to eliminate duplicates is to re-import all of your photos into Lightroom with "Ignore Duplicates" turned on, but that seems like a cumbersome way to sort through thousands of photos.

I just found a recently released utility called dupeGuru Picture Edition that looks pretty good. Anyone tried it yet?

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 22, 2012 16:56 |  #10

Most powerful is Imagedupeless but it's not free and has not been updated in like 6 years.

It can match images to those used in a banner for example it's pretty amazing but being old as it is the interface is very dated.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 22, 2012 17:24 |  #11

isoMorphic wrote in post #14309621 (external link)
Most powerful is Imagedupeless but it's not free and has not been updated in like 6 years. ...

That's the one I couldn't remember the name of. The database lets you check for duplicates even if you don't have access to your main collection.

VisiPics is also many years old. I downloaded dupeGuru and it looks good but with one noticeable fault. You don't see any thumbnails or images without clicking on a specific duplicate. VisiPics shows thumbnails for each of the duplicates and indicates which images are going to be discarded. dupeGuru only shows file names file information. (ImageDupeless shows thumbnails and then click to compare images.)

IMAGE: http://www.bildecke.de/screenshots/visipics_screen2_gr.jpg

Seeing that Picasa has been able to include face recognition (with automatic collections) into it's software, and Google Image Search is able to find similar images, it's surprising that LightRoom doesn't have advanced duplicate finding and the ability to sort images by faces or general image similarity.

(Edit: just downloaded VisiPics again. What a pain to navigate through all the download buttons to find the one that doesn't include toolbars, etc.!)

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 22, 2012 18:55 |  #12

I think the technology is probably patented because very few editors do image matching. Where as Face recognition is simply analyzing the image as our eyes would rather then thumbprint scanning. To my understanding face technology is very similar to Optical Character Recognition software for scanners. Where as to find an image within an image requires some type of formula that matches bits in a way similar to a figuring out crossword puzzle.

There is also similar technology for audio and video like Soundhound and Youtube has it's own proprietary technology. I remember years ago someone was offering a system called Digi something also which could crawl as a web bot and locate stolen images. But it was costly and aimed at Hollywood stars like Britney who wanted to track their images for take downs.

sponsored links

2,550 views & 0 likes for this thread
Utility for finding duplicate images?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.