Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 23:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Guy takes apart a new 5DIII for a loose screw ......

Littlefield
Goldmember
1,260 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 19, 2012 23:29 |  #1

http://www.lensrentals​.com …012/04/5d-iii-strip-tease (external link)

sponsored links
kris142
997 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 20, 2012 01:10 |  #2

Damn, so much engineering goes into these things.

|Sony A7 / Sony 35mm 2.8|

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 20, 2012 01:17 |  #3

this camera had a good packaging team

kl07rph
87 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 20, 2012 01:58 |  #4

Curious as to how the screw holding the card readers came undone though. Hope it doesn't play out to be a design issue (yuck)

1dx mark I, 24-70 2.8L mark II, 70-200 2.8L mark II.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 20, 2012 02:34 |  #5

kl07rph wrote in post #14296960 (external link)
Curious as to how the screw holding the card readers came undone though. Hope it doesn't play out to be a design issue (yuck)

I'm guessing they are all hand built. If so, there wouldn't be a design issue, only a single instance. If they were assembled by machine, then we would have all of the ones that were produced until the machine was identified and corrected.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

madjack
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 20, 2012 02:37 |  #6

kl07rph wrote in post #14296960 (external link)

Nope! it was an employee issue. The dude that does that job was PO'ed about not getting his raise and left them all like that...;)

www.pva.org (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 20, 2012 06:54 |  #7

Interesting comments about the CF bent/broken pin issue; in the Mk II the main board often has to be replaced as a repair but in the Mk III a much less expensive sub assembly gets replaced. I guess the use of the CF card and the potential of pins being bent is a necessary evil. Enough reason to consider camera to PC transfers by cable only.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,480 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 20, 2012 07:11 |  #8

John from PA wrote in post #14297509 (external link)
Interesting comments about the CF bent/broken pin issue; in the Mk II the main board often has to be replaced as a repair but in the Mk III a much less expensive sub assembly gets replaced. I guess the use of the CF card and the potential of pins being bent is a necessary evil. Enough reason to consider camera to PC transfers by cable only.

There seem to be more reports of inoperable usb ports on the camera than bent pins, at least here on POTN. Bent pins are very, very seldom an issue.

To bend a pin, you have to have 1 of 3 things: a) a person that forces a card down into the slot when they should make sure it slides smoothly to the bottom, b) a cheap card that has rough port tolerances, or c) the card was not protected from the elements and one of the ports got jammed with something, like keeping unprotected cards in your pocket.

IE. the risk and issue of bent pins is greatly overexaggerated and one shouldn't really concern themselves with such a thing

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 20, 2012 07:20 |  #9

So much work goes into making these...

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 20, 2012 07:25 |  #10

TeamSpeed, this is the "lenrentals" people choice of words..."CF pins break frequently and if they can’t be resoldered can require a main circuit board replacement in a 5D II. On the III only the card assembly would require replacement."

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,480 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 20, 2012 10:04 |  #11

John from PA wrote in post #14297579 (external link)
TeamSpeed, this is the "lenrentals" people choice of words..."CF pins break frequently and if they can’t be resoldered can require a main circuit board replacement in a 5D II. On the III only the card assembly would require replacement."

One reason I don't buy rental cars, when people use other people's things, they don't take any care at all on how they use it, nor do they even probably know how to use them. Private ownership doesn't have that kind of failure rate. I personally have removed and inserted CF cards thousands of times across many different bodies, and nary an issue. Collectively on POTN, just imagine how many times this activity takes place, then look at the volume of threads about broken pins.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

jwp721
771 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 20, 2012 10:42 |  #12

^ I would have no problem buying a lens from lensrental. They seem to be pretty active in the forums and I have never read about a bad experience from anyone...

They are creative in their methods of getting people to their website and this showing of the inside of a Mkiii seems like the latest way.

Warbird55
221 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 20, 2012 10:47 |  #13

Over a dozen posts, and nobody has cracked a single screw loose joke yet?

Canon 7D2 Gripped | Canon 7D Gripped | Canon SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II | Canon Extender 1.4x III | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 20, 2012 18:07 |  #14

Back when the IBM PC XTs were the hottest thing on the market (1983 or so), I bought an add-in memory card ($700 or so), RGB color video card ($400, give or take) and parallel printer port ($100+) for my $4995.00 XT. No, the prices are not misprints! Taking the cover off was easy. Retrieving dropped screws on the motherboard was not. After trying a variety of pens, pencils, paper clips, and whatnot to pick out the screw(s), yes, multiple, I finally resorted to turning it upside down and shaking it! Talk about nervous!!

These days, fixing computers is easy. There's no way I'd "pop the top" on my 60D...must less a 5D3!

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

sponsored links

2,919 views & 0 likes for this thread
Guy takes apart a new 5DIII for a loose screw ......
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.