Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50L or 85L?

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Gallery: 1000 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 20, 2012 10:57 |  #31

iluxa007 wrote in post #14298497 (external link)
BINGO. Exactly what I meant to say earlier. There we have it, a mini review from Pixel Junkie here ;) the 50L AF problem. Can easily be avoided by getting an 85L. EASILY :p

The AF on my 50L is fine ???

I hear what you are saying though, some people can't afford to deal with special stipulations when trying to get a shot. And that's perfectly fine. Believe me, if Canon said "give us a kidney, and we will correct the 50L to focus properly", I'd find the nearest sharp object :eek:

But if they said "we'll correct the focus shift, but you'll lose weather sealing, the close MFD, resistence to flare, the ability to lock on in near-darkness, and have slower AF, I'd have to reconsider. Or I'd buy an 85L ;)

sponsored links
iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 20, 2012 11:04 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

MatthewK wrote in post #14298524 (external link)
The AF on my 50L is fine ???

I hear what you are saying though, some people can't afford to deal with special stipulations when trying to get a shot. And that's perfectly fine. Believe me, if Canon said "give us a kidney, and we will correct the 50L to focus properly", I'd find the nearest sharp object :eek:

But if they said "we'll correct the focus shift, but you'll lose weather sealing, the close MFD, resistence to flare, the ability to lock on in near-darkness, and have slower AF, I'd have to reconsider. Or I'd buy an 85L ;)

LOL! You do realize that all of this stuff doesn’t matter if the image is NOT in focus?

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 20, 2012 11:13 |  #33

iluxa007 wrote in post #14298564 (external link)
LOL! You do realize that all of this stuff doesn’t matter if the image is NOT in focus?

Of course it wouldn't, but the difference is that people who shoot the 50L are aware of the focus shift and know how to compensate for it. I don't miss shots too often with this lens.

You guys act like the lens is unusable LOL

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 20, 2012 11:18 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

MatthewK wrote in post #14298611 (external link)
Of course it wouldn't, but the difference is that people who shoot the 50L are aware of the focus shift and know how to compensate for it. I don't miss shots too often with this lens.

You guys act like the lens is unusable LOL

Oh.
You sure make me want to ditch the 85L II for 50L...hmnmmm (Sarcasm intended)

Although if they came up with a 50L II, I probably would give it a try

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 20, 2012 11:20 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #35

Its usable but it isn't a lens that I'll take to a shoot where AF accuracy is critical.

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,740 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 20, 2012 11:23 |  #36

I am always drawn to these debates but it could just be true that both have some pros and cons and picking the right one is which of those you can live with. I am a 50L fan but I do wish Canon would create a 50 with the results the 24L II delivers. Fast autofocus, accurate and sharp wide open, very contrasty colors.

FWIW I use the 50L very often and while its not the sharpest lens I do like what it delivers.

here are a bunch of examples, The first 5 or 6 all wide open and most all under F2.2
http://tdigiovanni.blo​gspot.com/2011/05/50l-photos.html (external link)

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Fuji X100F • Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 20, 2012 12:11 |  #37

pixel_junkie wrote in post #14298640 (external link)
Its usable but it isn't a lens that I'll take to a shoot where AF accuracy is critical.

It isn't a lens you can just mindlessly shoot, you have to be constantly aware of the settings. That can slow you down in a fast-paced environment, and I wouldn't want to have to worry about it either. Luckily, for my needs, I can afford to work with the quirk, and shooting with the 50L has become second nature.

I have a great idea! Instead of taking our word for it, rent both lenses! Then perform some tests:

- see which focal length you like best
- shoot the 50L in the danger zone and see what all the hype is about
- compare the AF speeds
- compare the AF locking capabilities
- compare bokeh, sharpness, contrast etc.
- spray each one with a water hose and see which one is more weather sealed :lol:

Then you'll feel more at ease making your decision. Who knows, you may come away surprised at which one you chose vs. what everyone else was parroting.

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 20, 2012 12:15 |  #38

I suggest the 50mm L because I think it will get lot more use than the 85mm L
But as someone mentioned, try the 50mm 1.4 first. Who knows you might just love it.

Ivann
244 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 20, 2012 12:33 as a reply to  @ KHAWACHEN's post |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

Where is the "danger zone" with the 50L?

Is it when shooting near MFD?

Is the "danger zone" dangerous / present at all apertures?

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 20, 2012 12:41 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

Ivann wrote in post #14299019 (external link)
Where is the "danger zone" with the 50L?

Is it when shooting near MFD?

Is the "danger zone" dangerous at all apertures?

I LOL'd at the third question :D

Ricku
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 20, 2012 12:45 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

iluxa007 wrote in post #14299049 (external link)
I LOL'd at the third question :D

According to most of the complaints I've read online, the 50L AF will backfocus when shooting near MFD, stopped down to between f/2.0 - f/4.

Many claims that there is no problem when shooting at f/1.2.

Take this with a grain of salt tho, as I have never tried this lens myself.

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickr (external link)

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 20, 2012 14:09 |  #42

I would choose my 50L over my 85L in most situations. I can slap on my 50L and walk around no problem and get the shots I want. I tried that with the 85L and did not like it at all.

Of course, FL is all subjective.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

Ivann
244 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 20, 2012 14:09 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

Ricku wrote in post #14299065 (external link)
According to most of the complaints I've read online, the 50L AF will backfocus when shooting near MFD, stopped down to between f/2.0 - f/4.

Many claims that there is no problem when shooting at f/1.2

So if one were to buy this lens with the sole intention of shooting it at f/1.2 only, there wouldn't be any problems with focus shift / "unfixable" backfocus?

lazy13bones
53 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 20, 2012 14:25 |  #44

Ivann wrote in post #14299445 (external link)
So if one were to buy this lens with the sole intention of shooting it at f/1.2 only, there wouldn't be any problems with focus shift / "unfixable" backfocus?

I suggest testing before buying it. I know that it isn't always possible so you have to decide whether you can give it a try. I guess the people who have accurate 50L are really lucky. If anyone has such a copy, the person won't sell it on ebay...

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 24L II | Canon 85L II | & Available Light

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 20, 2012 16:52 |  #45

Ivann wrote in post #14299445 (external link)

The 50L doesn't focus shift at f/1.2.

sponsored links

10,902 views & 0 likes for this thread
50L or 85L?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.