Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are some of the worst professional photos you have seen?

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 18, 2012 08:00 |  #46

Clean Gene wrote in post #14284918 (external link)
Except that people DO go to restaurants, eat garbage, and then are happy enough to go back.

If you thought the meal sucked, why would you eat it in the first place? Most people who aren't just cheapskates looking to get free food would actually send the food back, rather than eat the whole thing, and THEN complain to management after it was apparently good enough for them to eat.

I've never been a good critic of ANYTHING good, wqhether it's music, food, photography, or etc.

But yeah... I've ordered food from places and gotten served crap. I then asked for a refund, sent the food back. I don;'t eat **** that doesn't suit my tastes, but that doesn't mean that what they're doing is "wrong". I hate McDonalds. Their food sucks. I don't eat there. And that really means about NOTHING, since enough people apparently like their food to make that pretty much the #1 restaurant chain on the planet.

But some people won't complain and just eat what they are offered.

Same as some folks will accept bad photos since they don't really know any different, but if the photographer has a "nice" camera, they therefore must be great photos.

There is a well known racing tog here in Ontario Canada, that has a top line canon camera and a big name, and IMO his work stinks to high heaven, but some folks think if he photographer "poop" it would be a great photo cause he took it.

If it is perceived to be good, it then must be good, no matter what.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

sponsored links
hooookup
942 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 18, 2012 20:00 |  #47

JakAHearts wrote in post #14241894 (external link)
About 95 percent of whats on Model Mayhem.

I'll see your 95% and raise you 99.9%

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 18, 2012 20:59 |  #48

dgoakill wrote in post #14280849 (external link)
Yes but you, (your pallet) can tell the difference between the two meals. What seems to be happening is that simply bad photography is being accepted as good because those hiring/buying (consuming - to keep with your analogy) can't tell the difference. The average person isn't going to notice blown highlights or over saturation. They may not recognize awkward poses or poses that make them actually look worse.

So bad becomes acceptable.......which then makes it harder to see the value in the higher end photog's work. Plus there's a lot of behind the scenes work that a true pro is going to have in place. Backup bodies, replication of backups for the images themselves, Insurance, etc. that the cheaper lesser quality photogs don't have because A. they can't afford it at the low prices they charge, or B. they don't know enough to know they need that to be reliable.

This is it in a nutshell. Have you seen the crap people post on FB? I took a couple shots of a friend of mine when I was at a baseball game that she happened to attend. I posted the photos on FB and she got all bent out of shape about it because she didn't like her hair or something. The photos were sharp, looked great and she looked great. Then the next night she posts some cellphone photo of her and a friend that is out of focus and with the flash, they both looked like she-devils with their eyes all red. I give up.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

rwong2k
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 20, 2012 00:41 |  #49

hooookup wrote in post #14289434 (external link)
I'll see your 95% and raise you 99.9%

ouch
is it really that bad?

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens
http://rw-photography.ca/ (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/RwPhotographyVancouv​er (external link)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Apr 20, 2012 01:00 |  #50

elrey2375 wrote in post #14289730 (external link)
This is it in a nutshell. Have you seen the crap people post on FB? I took a couple shots of a friend of mine when I was at a baseball game that she happened to attend. I posted the photos on FB and she got all bent out of shape about it because she didn't like her hair or something. The photos were sharp, looked great and she looked great. Then the next night she posts some cellphone photo of her and a friend that is out of focus and with the flash, they both looked like she-devils with their eyes all red. I give up.

The real winners are the devil eyes and duck lips...to go with the out of focus! Throw in the arched back to make the boobs look bigger and you have a fb masterpiece.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,696 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 20, 2012 06:54 |  #51

rwong2k wrote in post #14296743 (external link)
ouch
is it really that bad?

Its like anything really. There are good and bad. Im from a small town and I cant believe the amount of girls who are willing to take their clothes off for a photographer with zero/no portfolio and allow it to be posted on the net.

Shane
flickr (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 20, 2012 10:19 |  #52

Hmm, I need to move to a small town.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,696 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 20, 2012 10:30 |  #53

nathancarter wrote in post #14298326 (external link)
Hmm, I need to move to a small town.

PMd you.

Shane
flickr (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 20, 2012 12:14 as a reply to  @ JakAHearts's post |  #54

The crapshot called - The Royal Wedding Prince William and Kate Middleton Art Print Poster.
http://www.amazon.com …N/B004NA3G0O/ka​boodle2-20 (external link)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 20, 2012 12:31 |  #55

kf095 wrote in post #14298924 (external link)
The crapshot called - The Royal Wedding Prince William and Kate Middleton Art Print Poster.
http://www.amazon.com …N/B004NA3G0O/ka​boodle2-20 (external link)

It wasn't funny... until I saw the companion "frequently bought together" "other" picture.. :lol:

Yes, I have severe Equipment Deficiency. No, the pills don't fix it.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 20, 2012 14:54 |  #56

A few days ago, a local newspaper ran this godaweful photo (external link) along with a story about a student athlete.

She's actually a very prety girl who, in real life, looks like this (external link).

Really, that newspaper photog should be slapped upside the head for making her look so ugly.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

xcel730
603 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 20, 2012 15:37 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #57

There's a photographer for a US magazine that does a lot of product and lighting testing. In my opinion, his work is pretty bad, but he's been around for a long time, write books, and do workshops, so it seems like he's doing fairly well.

________
[Gear List]
Quote: If the grass is always greener on the other side, then maybe you should start working on your own grass.

pauly916
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 20, 2012 16:17 |  #58

Had to post this, these are priceless :D
http://www.dailymail.c​o.uk …me-took-blurry-shots.html (external link)

Gear- who cares?
Facebook (external link)

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 20, 2012 16:21 |  #59

Nobody's mentioned our favorite love-to-hate 'Tog, Mr. Peter Lik, "Master Photographer" :rolleyes:

I hereby nominate this monstrosity:
http://www.lik.com/mid​nightstorm.html (external link)

As a modestly competent lightning fool, I condemn this crap! It's Just Plain Ugly. There is no real composition, no beauty, no nothing... just blurry city lights and yukky light polluted skies. The only 'impact,' such as there is, stems from his standard 'Crank the Saturation Dial to 11!' treatment. BLECH!

Compare with the average weather weenie's efforts at
http://www.stormtrack.​org …st-Lightning-Shot-to-date (external link)

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 20, 2012 16:36 |  #60

Geonerd wrote in post #14299999 (external link)
Nobody's mentioned our favorite love-to-hate 'Tog, Mr. Peter Lik, "Master Photographer" :rolleyes:

I hereby nominate this monstrosity:
http://www.lik.com/mid​nightstorm.html (external link)

As a modestly competent lightning fool, I condemn this crap! It's Just Plain Ugly. There is no real composition, no beauty, no nothing... just blurry city lights and yukky light polluted skies. The only 'impact,' such as there is, stems from his standard 'Crank the Saturation Dial to 11!' treatment. BLECH!

Compare with the average weather weenie's efforts at
http://www.stormtrack.​org …st-Lightning-Shot-to-date (external link)

lolololol! Curse you for that! The file loaded... and that Honda Odyssey Commercial flashed through my head... and now I have that Judas Priest song looping around in my brain.... -_-  :p

That's seriously a great shot worthy of screen printing onto any Nascar fan's shirt as a background for his favorite driver's car... how dare you! LMAO

*sigh* I take that back.. It's an affront to Nascar fans.. lololol

Yes, I have severe Equipment Deficiency. No, the pills don't fix it.

sponsored links

13,632 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are some of the worst professional photos you have seen?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.