Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 02:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Service Advisory - Light Leak Phenomenon

AdrianAnderson
44 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 19, 2012 12:00 |  #76
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
sponsored links
ChrisJ_SLH
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 19, 2012 12:23 |  #77

AdrianAnderson wrote in post #14293041 (external link)
Life would be a lot easier for a lot of people if the absolute crap that gets made up over at CR wasn't spread around the web for the gullible to read and believe.

My point was that there is just way too much contradictory info flying around surrounding this (none) issue.

None of the other 'crap' (as you put it) elsewhere would seem to be any more reliable.

AdrianAnderson
44 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 19, 2012 12:26 |  #78
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
ChrisJ_SLH
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 19, 2012 12:31 |  #79

AdrianAnderson wrote in post #14293170 (external link)
Well, yes. What do you think I meant? Did you even read it?

CR make something up, put it up, everyone who can't think goes nuts, then they put something up that directly contradicts what they put up initially and more people go crazy.

Fools read CR.

Well I took as an insult, but don't panic I'm thick skinned.

Sites like CR are a bit like tabloid newspapers, entertaining but not necessarily a source of reliable info. I guess that would explain the 'Rumour' part...

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 19, 2012 14:32 |  #80

idsurfer wrote in post #14292164 (external link)
If I have a camera on the way is it in the first batch?

there's no fix yet so it won't matter whatever batch that is coming in.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 20, 2012 21:35 |  #81

So heres a question that may have been covered. But here it is non the less. If shot in in daylight, can direct sunlight, if at the right angle leak into the sensor and throw off exposure during daylight, low iso shots, thus causing under-exposure?

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 20, 2012 22:40 |  #82

scpictaker wrote in post #14301216 (external link)
So heres a question that may have been covered. But here it is non the less. If shot in in daylight, can direct sunlight, if at the right angle leak into the sensor and throw off exposure during daylight, low iso shots, thus causing under-exposure?

NO, because the amount of light entering the camera via the lens will nullify any small amount of light getting to the meter sensor overwhelmingly.

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

str8six
672 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 21, 2012 07:56 |  #83

scpictaker wrote in post #14301216 (external link)

I think it can. Many 5DIII's, including mine, under-exposure by more than 2/3 of a stop. I think that is too much and anxiously await Canon's fix.

Regards, Len B
Gear List

dailydriver
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 21, 2012 08:20 |  #84

Same here. When I shoot in the hot sun. All my exposures are to the left. Histogram shows nothing to the right 10%. If I compensate, then shooting in the house will have to be adjusted again. :-(

Awaiting fix too. I will be very disappointed with Canon if they don't fix first adopters. And releases the newer cameras onward with a fix.

5D MkIII Gripped | S100
EF 24-70 2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
600 EX RT | ST-E3-RT | Yongnou YN560

BHollis
63 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 21, 2012 10:49 |  #85

dailydriver wrote in post #14302698 (external link)
Same here. When I shoot in the hot sun. All my exposures are to the left. Histogram shows nothing to the right 10%. If I compensate, then shooting in the house will have to be adjusted again. :-(

Awaiting fix too. I will be very disappointed with Canon if they don't fix first adopters. And releases the newer cameras onward with a fix.

Interesting. Next time you shoot in bright sunlight, try covering the top lcd and see if there's any change. FWIW, all of my exposures in bright sunlight have been correct. And although my 5D3 exhibits the light leak issue, it only affects metering at very low light levels of around Ev1 and below.

However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's some variation among 5D3s as to the amount of light that can leak through the top lcd. Some could be much worse than others.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 21, 2012 10:59 |  #86

BHollis wrote in post #14303235 (external link)
Interesting. Next time you shoot in bright sunlight, try covering the top lcd and see if there's any change. FWIW, all of my exposures in bright sunlight have been correct. And although my 5D3 exhibits the light leak issue, it only affects metering at very low light levels of around Ev1 and below.

However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's some variation among 5D3s as to the amount of light that can leak through the top lcd. Some could be much worse than others.

Yep, same here, covered or not as long as cap is off EV is the same. Could be separate issue, like light meter calibration, evaluative metering algorithm, or light leaking into viewfinder.

Tjh1023
81 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2012 09:08 |  #87

Just watched a very interesting video on this whole light leak deal. I had thought it was only with the lcd back light on. I the video they demonstrated the issue with the lcd back light off and and just ambient light. They then showed the exposure differances in a photo crazy man just crazy.
http://vimeo.com/40042​270 (external link)

Olympus Omd Em1 Mkii, Em5 Mkii, 7-14, 12-40, 40-150 all pros,3 yn-560II,Nikon sb 24/29 (the strobest dream), multiple modifiers
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tjh-photography/ (external link)
http://www.tjh-photography.tumblr.com (external link)
http://www.twitter.com​/tjhphotography (external link)

Michael ­ Cheddar
343 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 22, 2012 21:43 |  #88

News (external link)?

5DIII | 35L | 85L II | 70-200L IS II

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 22, 2012 21:57 |  #89

Michael Cheddar wrote in post #14310821 (external link)
News (external link)?

Not really news. They're "investigating" an "issue" that IMO has been totally blown out of proportion.

Lets look at the facts

Is there a "problem" with light leaking into the 5D3's metering systems sensor? Yes
Has Canon confirmed there is a "problem" with the camera? Yes
Have they also proceeded to give the conditions under which this phenomenon occurs most? Yes
What are those conditions? With your lens cap or body cap on with the top LCD backlight on or a flashlight shining on the top LCD screen.
Does it effect the actual file made the photo sensor with light leaking into that area? No
Does this phenomenon happen only in very dark (under 1 EV) situations? Yes
Does the light affect the metering system during full daylight shooting? No
Is Canon recalling cameras that are already out? No
Are they holding back shipments to implement countermeasures? Yes

I hope that everyone knows all the facts about this phenomenon and that they don't cancel their pre-order or return their camera for a practically non-issue. Ask any 5D3 owner in the 5D3 thread and almost all of them will telly you how much they love this camera and how great it is to use.

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,141 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 22, 2012 22:03 |  #90

bikeboynate wrote in post #14310877 (external link)
What are those conditions? With your lens cap or body cap on with the top LCD backlight on or a flashlight shining on the top LCD screen.
Does it effect the actual file made the photo sensor with light leaking into that area? No...

Is that really true? I believe that the issues is easier to see with the lens cap on or shining a flashlight onto the top screen, but the effect is always there, just not as noticeable.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

125,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Service Advisory - Light Leak Phenomenon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.