Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 19:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Buy closing 50 stores

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 21, 2012 19:13 |  #1

here's the list, really hope my refusal to even go into their stores contributed to this. i hate Best Buy, hoping they close them all.

sponsored links
icencold
574 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 21, 2012 20:03 |  #2

Good find Rick :lol:
BB was really good price wise and used to have good service till they became too big to care for customers. Once I bought 18 1/2" Mitsubishi LCD (priced at $800ish) for $179 +tax only because some "skilled geek" labeled LCD box with CRT label.
Looks like bad karma bites back and they will end up same way as other big overgrown electronic megastore coughcompusacough :lol:

Kris
1D4, 70-300mmL, 400 5.6L, 100L, 24-105mm L, 50 1.8 II, 430EX II, 1.4x II, GT3530LS, Wimberley II.
flickr (external link)

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 21, 2012 20:33 |  #3

I used to love going to BestBuy, until CircuitCity went out of business and they started charging the highest prices of any retail store. IMO they provide no competition that is valuable to the consumers. Anybody with an ounce of common sense will buy online to get the best price, outside of needing last minute gifts when shipping would take too long.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Bad ­ Habit
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 21, 2012 20:41 |  #4

rick_reno wrote in post #14305253 (external link)
here's the list, really hope my refusal to even go into their stores contributed to this. i hate Best Buy, hoping they close them all.

:):):)

I too hope I was a part of it. I have on occasion found my self going there, and as soon as I walked in the door, I knew it was a waste of time

JR / flickr (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 21, 2012 21:00 |  #5

mannetti21 wrote in post #14305555 (external link)
I used to love going to BestBuy, until CircuitCity went out of business and they started charging the highest prices of any retail store.

Same here my family spent a great deal in Best Buy that now goes mostly to Amazon, Sams Club and Lowes.

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 21, 2012 21:44 |  #6

Phoenix area still has a couple of Frys electronics around. Otherwise, all my shopping would be on the net.

I actually prefer local shop and don't really mind paying sales tax for the instant gratification of picking it up in person, but that does not mean I want to pay 20% higher price on every item.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 21, 2012 21:45 as a reply to  @ isoMorphic's post |  #7

If I need something small, and need it quick, I'll hit a Best Buy. I walk in, grab, pay, and get the hell out. Big stuff goes to Amazon and such.

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 21, 2012 21:51 |  #8

:( I like them; I probably wouldn't if I had a camera store around, but they are the only place in the state other than Walmart. Closest real camera store is Glen's Fair Price, in Harrisonburg, VA. They know their stuff, and are a pleasure to talk to, but I have only been there once, unfortunately. Wish so bad I could go there more.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 22, 2012 00:56 |  #9

The internet hatchet claims another head.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 22, 2012 05:23 |  #10

I actually like best buy, their online prices for a lot of stuff is equivalent to amazon and other online stores including most photography stuff. I do agree that their customer service at times blows wads

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,394 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 22, 2012 07:32 |  #11

Hate to see them close. Any loss of competition is bad for consumers.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 22, 2012 08:24 |  #12

I went to the local BestBuy about 2 months ago in dire need of a pc. I usually build all my own pc's due to the price/performance/qual​ity/savings issues. Well after going over the specs on their display pc's the only one they had comparable to my currently on the fritz one was an i7 with 12gigs of ram. I was pressed for time due to having to get a recent photoshoot processed and delivered and didn't want to have to go through all the ordering parts and assembling, then loading all the software from scratch.
The associate starts to ring me up and tells me it will take 1-2 weeks to have it delivered so my reaction is WTH, I told him I needed the PC right away and he still didn't understand that meant right then.
For what it's worth though the sales associate across the street at STAPLES was worse. After deciding on the pc he had on display there, he brought the wrong one to the counter 3 times before aknowledging it would take 1-2 weeks to have that one delivered also.
Ordered all my parts through NEWEGG after that fiasco and have the pc I actually want.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 22, 2012 08:36 |  #13

Jericobot wrote in post #14307193 (external link)
their online prices for a lot of stuff is equivalent to amazon

Maybe if you consider 1/3 more being equivalent.

I just wish the Geek Squad would shut down too we have so a few really good local repair shops starving while people get screwed by GS daily. We need all the giants to crumble (hopefully Walmart is next) and go back to a time of mom and pop stores that cared about the customer and went the extra mile to keep the customer coming back. I'd pay higher prices if the products were worth it and the service was excellent to the point im saving money by not buying crap to begin with. We only had one small Canon dealer in Daytona Beach and they closed up last year so now you can't even buy gaffers tape within a hundred miles.

Yea it's great that Best Buy gets a good taste of it's own medicine after it squeezed out all the small local shops around it.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,037 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 22, 2012 08:41 |  #14

the one closing here in east Palo alto is not that old store. Never been there as there is one very close to my house. Bad for overall economy as lot of folks will loose jobs. Well the ceo also got the boot but he will still collect his big paycheck. I don't know what they teaching is US business schools. It just wasn't like this when I moved to this great country.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 22, 2012 08:58 |  #15

bobbyz wrote in post #14307631 (external link)
Bad for overall economy as lot of folks will loose jobs.

For every BB that closes 8-10 small stores can fill it's shoes and create even more jobs. They don't have that many associates in the stores anymore anyway. My side of the pond you are lucky if they have more then one register open. I'd say there are less then twenty people at any given time working in my local Best Buy. In comparisin my photography store that was like 1/100th the size most often had four knowledgeable people working.

sponsored links

4,175 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Buy closing 50 stores
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.