Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 20:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you return this refurb 60D?

Zigot
601 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 21, 2012 23:30 |  #16

Definitely, this is unacceptable for me.

7D, 5Dii, 5Diii, 70-300L, 24-105L 70-200Lii, 135L, 85, Tammy 150-600, 430EXii, 550EX, 580EXii, Σ50, Σ105 Macro, Σ150 Macro, ΣEM-140, Σ1.4x, LensBaby 3G, White lightnings, Bowens. Gear - feedbacks

sponsored links
keno190
42 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 22, 2012 00:09 |  #17

I've had good luck with canon refurbs, but I guess that luck doesn't extend all the way to their refurb offerings. As with everyone else in this thread, send it back.

________
Gear: 60d | 18-135mm | 50 1.8 | 580 ex II |
| Tumblr (external link) | Portfolio (external link) |

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 22, 2012 00:21 |  #18

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14306254 (external link)
I really hate people that use crap tactics like this. Sure, it's not bad to ask for something, but going from a 50mm f/1.8 to a f/1.4 is asking a lot. Do you really expect them to not only lose all profits, but take a loss just to accommodate your sense of entitlement? Bemoaning up the chain for something you don't really deserve is a douche move.

totally agree. he fails to realize that not only does it end up costing him more in the end, but it costs me more too, and that makes me mad. don't mess with my purchase price!

A9 | A7R3 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,884 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 22, 2012 00:22 |  #19

I really hate people that use crap tactics like this. Sure, it's not bad to ask for something, but going from a 50mm f/1.8 to a f/1.4 is asking a lot. Do you really expect them to not only lose all profits, but take a loss just to accommodate your sense of entitlement? Bemoaning up the chain for something you don't really deserve is a douche move.

Understand your point, and his suggestion was maybe a bit too much, but sending out a camera in that condition and forcing the OP to now spend his time and money to send it back deserves some kind of compensation. Unfortunately, most companies won't provide any compensation unless the unlucky customer makes a real stink.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,834 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 22, 2012 03:03 |  #20

I just got my 60D yesterday and also took advantage of the 20% off refurb price. Shipping was free so with sales tax added, it was $678. Amazon has them new for $888. Mine only had 144 shutter actuations and is in pristine condition.

I was worried when I ordered it... and I feel for the OP. Sending stuff back... then the re-wait is a boo hiss.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,838 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 22, 2012 06:36 |  #21

TheRightLight wrote in post #14306194 (external link)
Canon's track record when it comes to refurbished items isn't quite as clean as the internet would have you believe.
That being said, I still buy them, because the money you save overrides most of the flaws you encounter.

However, if I were you, I would send that particular camera back. This seems pretty extreme.

Canon's track record actually comes from the internet, unless you have insider info about failure/return rates of refurbs.

mwsilver wrote in post #14306587 (external link)
Understand your point, and his suggestion was maybe a bit too much, but sending out a camera in that condition and forcing the OP to now spend his time and money to send it back deserves some kind of compensation. Unfortunately, most companies won't provide any compensation unless the unlucky customer makes a real stink.

You box it up and drop it off at a UPS location. No funds needed for a warranty issue.

mjmackinnon wrote in post #14306177 (external link)
Yes, send it back, and I'd give them a call and ask to speak with the manager. Send him the photo's and say that you'd like them to give you something for your trouble. You should not have to waste your time on products that were supposed to been inspected as part of the Referb program. I'd push for an upgrade from the 50f/1.8 to a 50f/1.4, or a couple of spare batteries.

If he doesn't agree, go up the food chain. This is Canon you're buying from, not Goodwill.

There are risks buying new or buy used, that is why the warranty exists. You don't get extra compensation when utilizing a warranty, you received the peace of mind the warranty gave you when you make that initial purchase, that is your compensation.

People need to apply this thought to their own lives. If, every time you mess up at work or at home, somebody demanded that not only you fix the issue to their satisfaction and expectation, but that you also pay them a lump sum of money or give them something they really long for, think of where you would be right now.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mjmackinnon
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 22, 2012 07:19 |  #22

You are entitled to your opinion. I have worked in the 'real world' where sales people will spend thousands on meals, booze and travel gifts given to people like Ken Rockwell to get him to write a favourable review on the product. Do you think that comes for free? All that comes from profit made on camera's and lenses, that you and I have bought regardless of what he said on his blog. Is he a 'douche' for driving up the cost of your camera and equipment because someone has to pay for it?

And some executive is getting a big fat bonus on raising the profit margin on refurb units by cutting staff and the amount of time they spend to inspect the product going out the door. As a result, this OP didn't get what he paid for. He now has to spend time away from family and other commitments to return a product that should not have made it out from Canon like it did. We are not talking about a product failure. I know things happen, but this is a pure and simple screw-up on Canon's end. Somebody didn't do their job, and unless you complain and take away from some executives big fat bonus, where is the reason for anything to change?

Were the 5D2 owners a 'douche' for complaining to Canon about features they thought the Camera should have? They spent profit in forcing Canon to re-write a firmware.

The list can go on..

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

mjmackinnon
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 22, 2012 07:36 |  #23

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14307311 (external link)
People need to apply this thought to their own lives. If, every time you mess up at work or at home, somebody demanded that not only you fix the issue to their satisfaction and expectation, but that you also pay them a lump sum of money or give them something they really long for, think of where you would be right now.

If you went out to a restaurant with your family, and in your meal you find a big clump of someone else's hair or a fingernail, would you just shrug 'oh well' and send the meal back. They can make another one, and i just won't eat my meal with the rest of the family. Too bad for me? Or would you make a big deal of it?

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 22, 2012 07:52 |  #24

No , Canon deserve a kick in the pants for this .
I'll tell you what a douche move is , selling a camera in this state and claiming it has been refurbished by Canon technicians !

Also , just because someone is prepared to fight their corner and you are not , doesn't entitle you to insult them does it ? (douche move=a move made by a douche)

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 22, 2012 07:59 |  #25

mjmackinnon wrote in post #14307446 (external link)
If you went out to a restaurant with your family, and in your meal you find a big clump of someone else's hair or a fingernail, would you just shrug 'oh well' and send the meal back. They can make another one, and i just won't eat my meal with the rest of the family. Too bad for me? Or would you make a big deal of it?

let them know, send it back, don't eat there anymore. even if they gave you a free meal, you wouldn't be eating it with your family anyways, and even if they gave you. free meal, would you then be ok and give them repeat business? I really doubt it. so what's the point except to excercise what good old Ralph Nader done fer ya?

A9 | A7R3 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 22, 2012 09:10 as a reply to  @ Higgs Boson's post |  #26

Rich. Welcome aboard. Send it back. Canon will probably fix it for free or send you a new one.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 22, 2012 09:25 |  #27

mjmackinnon wrote in post #14307446 (external link)

That meal didn't come with a written warranty which spells out the seller's liability. I get a bad meal (under or over cooked or some other culinary error), I would offer my input to the management, ask for a replacement, but I wouldn't expect anything extra. What I would expect is the meal I ordered, properly prepared and served. If the management offered something additional as recompense, whether a free dessert or even to cover the cost of the meal, I'd take it, but I'm not so full of myself as to expect it or demand it as long as I end up with what I ordered.

In the case you pose, I'd get up and walk out, never to return. I certainly don't want to give that restaurant any further opportunity to poison me, no matter how much they offer.

To the OP: Return the camera for repair or replacement.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2012 11:05 |  #28

I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurbished from Canon. That said, I would just send it back. My dealings with them were very simple and straight forward. They made it very clear if I had a problem with the camera, just send it back.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

rpadula
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 22, 2012 12:23 |  #29

Thanks everyone for the welcome and replies. Yes, I had made up my mind to call them tomorrow and send it back. I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like it and might know what it could be.

guitarfish wrote in post #14305869 (external link)
No, keep it. It might grow on you..literally!
Yuck, send 'er back!

LOL, yeah. What I'm guessing is that some kind of liquid got in there, dried, and it's the residue of whatever was dissolved in the liquid. The worst case with sensitive electronics would be that it is from salt water, and I don't know if this material got any deeper inside the camera to slowly degrade its performance later. There are 3 small screws that appear to hold a plate onto the body around the viewfinder. I wonder if that's how it got in?

mwsilver wrote in post #14306122 (external link)
I'm curious how much you saved over buying new. A new one will generally cost $899 or a bit less. Did you save enough to make buying used worthwhile?

The total was $678, same as Kim's below. I'm sure I will find the savings worthwhile. I've bought around a dozen refurb items from Apple over the years for family and myself, and they are always indistinguishable from new, except for the brown box they come in. And they last just as long as well. From reading around, it seemed like Canon's refurbs are good, too. Besides the viewfinder, my 60D appeared new. I certainly didn't intend to impugn their reputation over one bad unit. Things happen. There are escapes even in Six Sigma processes.

Phoenixkh wrote in post #14306928 (external link)
I just got my 60D yesterday and also took advantage of the 20% off refurb price. Shipping was free so with sales tax added, it was $678. Amazon has them new for $888. Mine only had 144 shutter actuations and is in pristine condition.

I was worried when I ordered it... and I feel for the OP. Sending stuff back... then the re-wait is a boo hiss.

My first click rang up as shot 2000!

The one thing I left out in my first post is I'm an engineer, so I analyzed my buying decision for about a month. Some close to me would say over-analyzed. :D

So, yes, the extra re-wait does stink. But I'm sure Canon will make it right.

-Rich

-Rich
Canon 60D + EF 50mm f/1.8 II + EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 + EF 70-200 f/4

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,884 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 22, 2012 13:31 |  #30

rpadula wrote in post #14308522 (external link)
Thanks everyone for the welcome and replies. Yes, I had made up my mind to call them tomorrow and send it back. I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like it and might know what it could be.

LOL, yeah. What I'm guessing is that some kind of liquid got in there, dried, and it's the residue of whatever was dissolved in the liquid. The worst case with sensitive electronics would be that it is from salt water, and I don't know if this material got any deeper inside the camera to slowly degrade its performance later. There are 3 small screws that appear to hold a plate onto the body around the viewfinder. I wonder if that's how it got in?

The total was $678, same as Kim's below. I'm sure I will find the savings worthwhile. I've bought around a dozen refurb items from Apple over the years for family and myself, and they are always indistinguishable from new, except for the brown box they come in. And they last just as long as well. From reading around, it seemed like Canon's refurbs are good, too. Besides the viewfinder, my 60D appeared new. I certainly didn't intend to impugn their reputation over one bad unit. Things happen. There are escapes even in Six Sigma processes.

My first click rang up as shot 2000!

The one thing I left out in my first post is I'm an engineer, so I analyzed my buying decision for about a month. Some close to me would say over-analyzed. :D

So, yes, the extra re-wait does stink. But I'm sure Canon will make it right.

-Rich

What are you basing the 2000 on? Did you use the EOS shutter count program? If you you're basing it on the number that pops up from your SD card when you view a photo, that is more than likely not the real shutter count. Unfortunately the EOS shutter count program only works on PCs not Apple. Here's the link. http://eoscount.com (external link)

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

sponsored links

6,673 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you return this refurb 60D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.