Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 09:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

recommend a printer

N.V.M.
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 18, 2012 09:14 |  #1

i'd like to start printing my images and am having trouble deciding what to buy. i'd like to keep it in and around $500 for the printer and of course i'm looking for quality prints, and should i be looking for a printer brand/model that uses less expensive inks?

anyways, which way should i go?

sponsored links
paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 18, 2012 10:47 |  #2

My suggestion is that you start by deciding whether you want pigment or dye. Pigment inks are much longer lasting (although modern dye inks can last for a long time). Dye-based inks produce fewer clogs, which is particularly an issue if you don't print all the time and leave the printer idle for substantial periods.

N.V.M. wrote in post #14106671 (external link)
i'd like to start printing my images and am having trouble deciding what to buy. i'd like to keep it in and around $500 for the printer and of course i'm looking for quality prints, and should i be looking for a printer brand/model that uses less expensive inks?

anyways, which way should i go?

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 19, 2012 09:18 |  #3

Would you use the printer much for anything else? Because I didn't use mine much & whenever I wanted to print something the heads would be clogged up. So now I've got a B&W laser printer & for the past 6 years I've used Costco for color printing.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,267 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 19, 2012 10:00 |  #4

PhotosGuy wrote in post #14112549 (external link)
... So now I've got a B&W laser printer & for the past 6 years I've used Costco for color printing.

I've done the same thing. My Canon printer sits idle most of the time. And I figure with the cost of a printer, the ink, the haste of getting everything right, color calibrating the thing, it was all too much trouble. With Costco I've got over $500,000 worth of printers some capable of poster size prints, and someone is adjusting/cleaning/cal​ibrating them daily. The printers all have color profiles so I can match my images to their printers and it's only 15 minutes away. From download to pickup is about an hour all printed on some of the best professional printers out there for not all that much more than what it would have cost me at home.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 19, 2012 11:08 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #14112745 (external link)
I've done the same thing. My Canon printer sits idle most of the time. And I figure with the cost of a printer, the ink, the haste of getting everything right, color calibrating the thing, it was all too much trouble. With Costco I've got over $500,000 worth of printers some capable of poster size prints, and someone is adjusting/cleaning/cal​ibrating them daily. The printers all have color profiles so I can match my images to their printers and it's only 15 minutes away. From download to pickup is about an hour all printed on some of the best professional printers out there for not all that much more than what it would have cost me at home.

+1 to that...

... but, I still use Epson printers (R2400+9800pro) in cases where I need quick turnaround (print done on the double) or for specialty use such as printing on canvas without having to rely on external sources.

Unless you absolutely need full control over your prints and/or need them quick, something like Costco is a sound idea, if you're printing for business purposes like I do, investing in your own equipment might make more sense.

If you insist on having your own printer, don't be cheap on the price of the printer itself, cheap printers (oddly enough) use more expensive inks, while a $2000 printer will keep churning forever and a half. Also, my print heads never clogged up once.
That much money sounds expensive? Not if you plot out ink/paper prices, a $500 printer will already double in price without much printing even done on it.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

FeXL
493 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 19, 2012 13:33 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #6

We've been using Epson printers since 2005: R800 for a couple of years, R1800 from 2007 until last year, R2000 since last summer, 4800 from 2007 until present.

R2000 highly recommended for reasonably priced, good quality, print your own option up to 13" wide.

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 19, 2012 15:08 as a reply to  @ FeXL's post |  #7

Using an Epson 3880, bought refurbished from the Epson store for less than 1K with a full set of inks. Had it a year know and still loving it. Switched to refillable carts and Cone inks, beautiful prints up to 17X23. Have owned several other brands at fist, but using Epson since they brought out the 1200 many years ago!

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,729 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 21, 2012 13:56 |  #8

The cost of ink (and paper), even for printers with the lowest cost per print, exceeds the price per print from Costco. Investigate the Costco in Vancouver!

Printers and ink are like razors and razorblades...the companies virtually give away the razor/printer, making all of their profit from the consummables.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 21, 2012 16:48 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #9

Costs me a little over .30 for an 8X10 using the Cone Inks and Red River paper, haven't found any lab that cheep in a quantity of one. Never got a print from a lab yet that was up to my expectations without a hassle. Plus Imdo not have to make a trip anywhere!

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 21, 2012 16:49 |  #10

I really am enjoying my Canon PIXMA Pro 9000 MkII

Gear List

Wilt
41,729 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 21, 2012 17:03 |  #11

ralff wrote in post #14304671 (external link)
Costs me a little over .30 for an 8X10 using the Cone Inks and Red River paper, haven't found any lab that cheep in a quantity of one. Never got a print from a lab yet that was up to my expectations without a hassle. Plus Imdo not have to make a trip anywhere!

The numbers that I previously saw were based upon tests of several pro grade photo printers from Epson and Canon. I just found a newer test of a large number of brands and models of all-in-one showing typical photo page (4x6" image, "The best photo paper recommended by each manufacturer.
A4 or 8 ½" x 11" papers were used to print a borderless 4" x 6" (approximately 10 x 15 cm) photo. (See individual test reports)"
)
was $0.125 - 0.494 per 4x6 page, or $0.42 - $1.65 per 8x10" image area for ink only. http://www.qualitylogi​c.com …Analysis-US-Apr192012.pdf (external link)

Red River itself figures $0.45-0.90 in ink cost per 8x10 at Red River pricing for ink alone.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 21, 2012 18:25 |  #12

I've used the Epson 1400 for the last four years and have been completely satisfied by it. Makes excelllent 13"x19" prints, that are estimated to resist fading for about 100 years. Highly recommended.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 21, 2012 18:47 |  #13

HughR wrote in post #14305079 (external link)
I've used the Epson 1400 for the last four years and have been completely satisfied by it. Makes excelllent 13"x19" prints, that are estimated to resist fading for about 100 years. Highly recommended.

Hugh, to be clear, what inks and papers are you using? I'm asking, because talk of the "inexpensive" prints seem to imply using non-OEM ink/paper combos, which may not be so "safe" for photo printing...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Kumsa
218 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 22, 2012 20:28 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #14

Lots of good comments. I think, of course, it depends on what you want to do. If you intend on printing lots of huge prints then spend your money on an Eizo and print at a professional service (or even Costco). If you are looking to get into printing on lots of different papers (e.g., linen, cotton rag, as well as traditional glossy) then get your own printer. For pure bang-for-the-buck you can't beat the Canon Pro9000 MKII (w/a rebate). It's dye ink, versus pigment. There is a chance that the permanence of the dye ink is not as archival as pigment (it will outlast both of us). However, the dye has slightly better tonal distribution.

6D / Canon 35 f2 IS USM / Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 / EF-S 55-250mm / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma Tele 2.x / Samyang 14mm / Yong Nuo flashes / Orlit Strobes Pixma Pro-100 / Epson P800 / ColorHug / Tokina 100mm AT-X M100 AF PRO D / Linux Ubuntu / PrintFab-TurboPrint / AfterShot Pro / GIMP / DarkTable / Zerene Stacker

Wilt
41,729 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 22, 2012 20:32 |  #15

Kumsa wrote in post #14310485 (external link)
It's dye ink, versus pigment. There is a chance that the permanence of the dye ink is not as archival as pigment (it will outlast both of us). However, the dye has slightly better tonal distribution.

OTOH, Epsons, which use pigment, are much more prone to clogging heads when not used frequently. I hope the Canon with pigments is not similarly affected by clogging.

sponsored links

4,641 views & 0 likes for this thread
recommend a printer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.