Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Apr 2012 (Monday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of going D800. Can you talk me out of it?

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 23, 2012 21:58 |  #31

mafoo wrote in post #14316586 (external link)
I have held the 5D3, at B&H, and really liked it. It felt a lot better then the 5D2. And while the AF system is awesome, is the real world, no one has yet to say it outperforms the D800. Oh, and it's not the same as the one in the 1Dx. The 1Dx gets a dedicated CPU for the AF system.

The FPS of the Canon is a nice thing to have over the Nikon for sure. And I do love how quiet the shutter is in quite mode.

It's basically the same system with no dedicated CPU. Canon used the same educational video to help people understand the system better. I bookmarked it somewhere. I'll link it later. Technically someone did say the 5D3's AF was just a little better. :p
Go to 5:24 in this youtube video by TheCameraStoreTV based in Calgary.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=omTo7UxbJX8 (external link)

The silent shooting mode on the 5D3 is crucial in Church-like settings. I've used it to capture some great shots during church since literally no one notices it.

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
mafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 23, 2012 21:59 |  #32

KeyserSoze1 wrote in post #14316640 (external link)
What do you shoot?

Wildlife, food, conference events, portraits, whatever.

I am not a pro, just an enthusiast. I shoot anything I can get a chance to shoot.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

aegid
506 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 23, 2012 22:07 |  #33

I hope supply catches up as fast as you think it will. One of my friends has had the new 50 and 85 primes on order for quite a while and they still haven't shipped. He does have the D800 but that's because he ordered it within the first few minutes of it appearing on Amazon.

5d3,17-40,24-105,24 1.4,85 1.4,70-200 2.8 is ii

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,860 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 23, 2012 22:11 |  #34

mafoo wrote in post #14316660 (external link)

I am not a pro, just an enthusiast. I shoot anything I can get a chance to shoot.

The real question is what do you think a new body from a different manufacturer will do to improve your photography?

If it's just geekdom and you feel the geek need to try out another high tech camera for the sake of it, well thats ok. But if you think your photography is going to go up a notch all of a sudden, I'd be interested in your thoughts as too why?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 23, 2012 22:16 |  #35

I think he's watching that youtube review that I posted on here. :p

Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2012 22:18 |  #36

Life's too damn short to care what others do with their photography.

You wanna jump and start over? I'll hold the door for you.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 23, 2012 22:19 |  #37

I've looked at buying a D800 too, but not as a switch but to use the extra pixels to help with the heavy cropping I sometimes need to do to get a usable image. UNFORTUNATELY there aren't ANY Nikon mount lenses that I'd be able to use that meet my needs, AT ANY PRICE. You'll need lenses, and good ones to get the most from a D800 so do your homework carefully re what you now use, what you think you'd add later & reality price wise.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Jason ­ B.
344 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 23, 2012 22:21 as a reply to  @ bikeboynate's post |  #38

I had pretty much the same equipment you have now and made the switch to the D800. I am still learning it but I can assure you the AF is no slouch and not tried the liveview yet but cant imagine it sucking. I had no other reason to switch other than I was curious about nikon. I am very pleased so far. One word however, if you dont have pro level technique be prepared to put some time in learning. Its very unforgiving in the camera shake department.

5DMarkII|24-105 F4L|70-200 2.8L IS II|580EXII|

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,860 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 23, 2012 22:23 |  #39

Jason B. wrote in post #14316780 (external link)
not tried the liveview yet but cant imagine it sucking.

Wow....thats a great review, thanks!

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 23, 2012 22:25 |  #40

fotoworx wrote in post #14316793 (external link)
Wow....thats a great review, thanks!

LOL :lol::lol::lol:
You're such a comedian foto! :lol:

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 23, 2012 22:26 |  #41

Assumer wrote in post #14316434 (external link)
I went to Nikon when I purchased the D700. Great camera but I just missed the ergonomics of the Canon. Nikon may be for you. I would say get your hands on one and see if it is a fit. I just returned to canon and it was like coming home.

Mafoo
The issue is not going to be switching from Canon to Nikon. The real issue is going to be when you try to return and see how much it costs you then - about a year or so from the time you jump..... ;)

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

joema2
85 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 23, 2012 22:30 |  #42

mafoo wrote in post #14316350 (external link)
...I am almost ready to make the switch, but before I do, I would like to hear from you guys as to why you think it would be a bad idea. I mostly want this kind of feedback, to help me see something I might have overlooked...

The D800 has a great sensor, esp. regarding low ISO dynamic range. However a camera is more than a sensor. How important specific features are varies with each photographer and their shooting style.

The 5D3 has three different silent shutter modes and can shoot 3 fps continuously with phase detect AF, or 6 fps continuously in Live View mode. The D800 has a single more rudimentary silent shutter mode that works for single shots. If you shoot in quiet venues, a capable silent shutter mode is a big deal.

The 5D3 flushes its buffer to CF card very fast. The D800 is a lot slower. This was illustrated in The Camera Store review, where the professional photographer evaluating both said of the D800: ""...the buffer is very slow compared to the Canon...with the Nikon it's whistle a merry tune as it empties the buffer..."

In the test video at 07:00, you can clearly see the D800 struggling to flush its buffer. After they talked a while about how slow the D800 was, the video finally cut away, and it still wasn't done flushing: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=4W9EeDCaVFM (external link)

The 5D3 has much less noise than the D800 in high ISO video. This may not be important for everyone, but it's a significant difference: http://vimeo.com/40113​110 (external link)

They are both great cameras and it's fair to say the D800's sensor generally improved more than the 5D3 compared to the preceding models. The D800 also has a more comprehensive metering system, 91k pixels with face and scene detection.

When I shot Nikon, I liked their Capture NX2 raw conversion/editing program -- once they finally made it 64 bits and somewhat stable. You use an entire camera ecosystem, not just the body & sensor. This includes various lenses, software, 3rd party information, etc. Changing your entire camera ecosystem based on the sensor in one particular body (which is often replaced periodically) shouldn't be a cavalier decision.

Jason ­ B.
344 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 23, 2012 22:44 as a reply to  @ joema2's post |  #43

I was simply referring to the earlier post that said it "sucked". Having not tried it I didn't want to speculate. The world would be a much better place if comedians like you would just keep their mouths shut.

5DMarkII|24-105 F4L|70-200 2.8L IS II|580EXII|

KeyserSoze1
525 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 23, 2012 22:44 |  #44

mafoo wrote in post #14316660 (external link)

The d800 sounds like its the perfect camera for you tbh. it offers better IQ. the 5d3 doesn't really offer that much improvement in that regards. if AF is your thing then obviously the 5d3 fits the bill otherwise, for what you shoot I think a d800 is much better. The only thing you will miss is Canon's lens lineup.

Canon 5DM III, 35 1.4 II 50 1.2L
Canon 6D/// RX1

sunking39
403 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 23, 2012 22:46 |  #45

Yes, jump ship.
If you can, do it. I wish I could.

That Fred Miranda is a huge eye opener (although we already knew it, I guess). I laugh at the people who say dxo is a sham.

Of course, it depends on you priorities. For me IQ is the most important thing. No need to ETTR, what a treat, you no longer have to stumble along, tryng to guess exposure!

sponsored links

42,025 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of going D800. Can you talk me out of it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.