Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 23 Apr 2012 (Monday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first take at doing some HDR

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 23, 2012 12:09 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

OK, try not to be TOO harsh... I'm nowhere near a pro photographer, I've still got a TON to learn, which I hope to do on this forum :)

First one was done at night with only 3 exposures in JPG. The daytime ones I was taking 9 exposures in RAW and I'm only using Photoshop CS5 to compose them, as its all I have. I plan on taking more and trying this again tomorrow on my trip to Yosemite, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Please forgive the trash cans in the background of the second shot, I was only trying out HDR, not trying to make a perfect picture. They are posted in the order I did them in.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Josh
https://www.facebook.c​om/ShutterwolfPhotogra​phy (external link)
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

sponsored links
Shutterwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 24, 2012 00:05 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Well, heres one i just did today. Please comment on what im doing right or wrong so i know and can improve!

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Josh
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

thomatis
158 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2012 04:42 |  #3

Heaps of halos, and weird 'orb' lights in #1.

Shutterwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 24, 2012 04:45 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

thomatis wrote in post #14317917 (external link)
Heaps of halos, and weird 'orb' lights in #1.

Yea, got a bit of lens flare. Not sure how to avoid that, while keeping the street light in view. It was my very first attempt at HDR also.

Josh

ejenner
Goldmember
3,624 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 29, 2012 11:39 as a reply to  @ Shutterwolf's post |  #5

These are some of the most challenging situations for HDR - trees against a bright sky. From my experience you have to decide if you are OK with the halos or would rather the trees went very dark and you use the HDR to open up some of the other shadows.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 29, 2012 20:50 |  #6

three ways to reduce flaring
1. do not shoot into lights and use a hood
2. correct the flaring in post processing
3. get better glass

not bad for the first try. HDR takes awhile to get a hang as you need experience to know what scenes will work and what wont work. so you need an idea of how you would process it in your mind before you even take it. not all scenes can be enhanced with HDR. If youre savy with photoshop, halos with trees shouldnt be a problem as you can fix it with PS.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,368 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first take at doing some HDR
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.