Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 24 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 00:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PaintWars

skwirnmn
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 24, 2012 00:23 |  #1

This was a super fun school event I got to shoot. If I wasn't asked by the school to shoot this event and I had brought the right clothes, I most definitely would have participated. The following two days, students were still washing paint out of their hair.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=FJsR8gnNRkM (external link)

sponsored links
skwirnmn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 24, 2012 14:35 |  #2

uploaded to vimeo

https://vimeo.com/4095​8228 (external link)

Arson24
308 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 24, 2012 14:54 |  #3

great video man, by the title i thought it was the paintball documentary i was in a couple of months ago

7D-Gripped/70-200mm USM F4L/sigma 70-200mm F2.8/40mm STM "Pancake"/Canon 430ex II/
Match Strike Digital Productions (external link)
"Imagery Under Fire" (external link)

Chopper ­ Al
743 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 24, 2012 15:45 |  #4

Great video and looked like a lot of fun!

Al

drvideo
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 24, 2012 17:29 |  #5

Had trouble streaming on YouTube, Vimeo played fine; what a trip, looks like sheer mayhem !!

60D/Tam 17-50 f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD/Tam 70-200 f2.8 Di LD/Tam 60 F2 Macro/Tok 11-16 f2.8
Sunpak Auto544/Sekonic L758CINE

skwirnmn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 25, 2012 14:07 |  #6

Arson24 wrote in post #14320855 (external link)
great video man, by the title i thought it was the paintball documentary i was in a couple of months ago

i assume you play for mw arson..? who are you? didn't know you were on potn.

Arson24
308 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 26, 2012 14:26 |  #7

MW?
sorry not sure what you are talking about

7D-Gripped/70-200mm USM F4L/sigma 70-200mm F2.8/40mm STM "Pancake"/Canon 430ex II/
Match Strike Digital Productions (external link)
"Imagery Under Fire" (external link)

Maverick530
107 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 26, 2012 20:36 |  #8

my suggestion for next time is to get a Variable ND filter so that you can lower your shutter speed so that there is more motion blur, because it looks like your at like 1/2000th of a second, with that nd filter you can go down to 1/50th of a second to get that nice movie like quality :)

6D |60D | 24-105 L | 50mm 1.8 | battery grip | 18-135 |bw! |

skwirnmn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 27, 2012 09:35 |  #9

Maverick530 wrote in post #14335599 (external link)
my suggestion for next time is to get a Variable ND filter so that you can lower your shutter speed so that there is more motion blur, because it looks like your at like 1/2000th of a second, with that nd filter you can go down to 1/50th of a second to get that nice movie like quality :)

because i can shoot 1/50th at 60fps..? O.o i don't even know how to construct a response to your post.
adding "motion blur" to a motion picture is not a rule. it creates a cinematic film quality to an image which is absolutely the opposite of what i was trying to accomplish. you can clearly see that these kids are running at speeds of up to 10 miles an hour, with limbs swing at over 40 mph. do you photograph any sports at 1/50th of a second? why would you capture movie clips at 1/50th.?

Arson24 wrote in post #14333591 (external link)
MW?
sorry not sure what you are talking about

midwest arson, a team out of the badlandz.. never mind, i don't think you play for them or i'd know you. was just curious.

megawatz
124 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 27, 2012 10:18 |  #10

skwirnmn wrote in post #14338173 (external link)
because i can shoot 1/50th at 60fps..? O.o i don't even know how to construct a response to your post.
adding "motion blur" to a motion picture is not a rule. it creates a cinematic film quality to an image which is absolutely the opposite of what i was trying to accomplish. you can clearly see that these kids are running at speeds of up to 10 miles an hour, with limbs swing at over 40 mph. do you photograph any sports at 1/50th of a second? why would you capture movie clips at 1/50th.?

I'f I'm right, (at least with my T3i), I can't go below 1/60th shutter to shoot anything in MovieMode. (Please correct me if I am wrong though)

BTW, that was an awesome video. Almost makes me want to start my own paint wars. I love how you're following different individuals to get perspectives on their battles, but the mid shots of a group of people make it seem like everyone involved is just having a ton of fun. Great shoot skwirnmn.

Gear List
5∞px (external link)
My DIY dSLR Rigs Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

skwirnmn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 27, 2012 11:09 |  #11

megawatz wrote in post #14338425 (external link)
I'f I'm right, (at least with my T3i), I can't go below 1/60th shutter to shoot anything in MovieMode. (Please correct me if I am wrong though)

BTW, that was an awesome video. Almost makes me want to start my own paint wars. I love how you're following different individuals to get perspectives on their battles, but the mid shots of a group of people make it seem like everyone involved is just having a ton of fun. Great shoot skwirnmn.

you're correct. when shooting at 60 fps, you cannot go below 1/60th. when shooting at 30 fps, you cannot go below 1/30th.

definitely a ton of fun though. get a group of your friends together and a few cans of paint and start slinging! document it for the rest of us on potn though!

megawatz
124 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 27, 2012 13:39 |  #12

skwirnmn wrote in post #14338729 (external link)
you're correct. when shooting at 60 fps, you cannot go below 1/60th. when shooting at 30 fps, you cannot go below 1/30th.

definitely a ton of fun though. get a group of your friends together and a few cans of paint and start slinging! document it for the rest of us on potn though!

Have you done any research on it? Any good sites to look at? I'd love to get this going since my college is nearing exams, would be a great load off of everyones day

Gear List
5∞px (external link)
My DIY dSLR Rigs Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Maverick530
107 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 27, 2012 13:59 |  #13

skwirnmn wrote in post #14338173 (external link)

midwest arson, a team out of the badlandz.. never mind, i don't think you play for them or i'd know you. was just curious.

i didnt know you were shooting at 60fps, which is then 1/120th of a second to make the motion blur to make it more smoothly, but sorry for my constructive criticism did'nt.

and for sports photo your trying to freeze motion, and video your trying to capture it,
i got to film school so i figured i would give you my input, but it looks like you dont want it.

6D |60D | 24-105 L | 50mm 1.8 | battery grip | 18-135 |bw! |

skwirnmn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 28, 2012 22:46 |  #14

Maverick530 wrote in post #14339596 (external link)
i didnt know you were shooting at 60fps, which is then 1/120th of a second to make the motion blur to make it more smoothly, but sorry for my constructive criticism did'nt.

and for sports photo your trying to freeze motion, and video your trying to capture it,
i got to film school so i figured i would give you my input, but it looks like you dont want it.

pick up your 60D and shoot it at 1/120th.. this ss doesn't exist. O.o

i'm not saying i don't want input.. i'm correcting your statement because you believe that a stylistic choice is the only way to shoot something. (just like some people believe that shooting with only natural light is the ONLY way to shoot.. it's only a stylistic choice, not a rule) indeed it is a technique that some people use to achieve a certain look, but it is not the only way to shoot video. I'm double majoring at the art institute of california in digital photography and video production. going to a film school adds no credibility to your post.

using the 180 degree rule creates motion blur similar to what our eyes see. creating motion blur is counterintuitive when you slow-motion any footage.

this video would not have been possible shooting at 1/125th.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=TTe2pB9VXIM (external link)

alancanon
161 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 29, 2012 00:32 |  #15

great video, nice work.

Canon T3i, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6, Tamron LD A17 70-300 mm F/4.0-5.6 Di AF

sponsored links

2,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
PaintWars
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.