Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 00:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paying for events

HammerCope
795 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 24, 2012 00:46 |  #1

Just wondering how everyone feels about photographers paying to shoot sporting events. Ive run in to this a lot more in the past year or so. Events that I have shot for years are all of a sudden off limits to me. All because some local studio paid the group to be the shooter for the event. It really gets under my skin because all I here from everyone then is where where you the pictures the other guy took suck.

Wish I had the extra money to go sit outside their studio and offer to pay people to shoot their Wedding or senior picture! See how they like it!

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

sponsored links
JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 24, 2012 01:20 |  #2

who are you shooting it for?

Just because you're a 'photographer' doesn't entitle you to anything.

As a freelancer, incurring costs is just part of the job. Your goal should be to make more revenue from your photography than you spend, whether those expenses are travel, equipment, or entrance fees.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

HammerCope
THREAD ­ STARTER
795 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 24, 2012 01:23 |  #3

I'm a rodeo photographer. I am a paying member of the associations. An I contribute to the news letters so they have something to put in them.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 24, 2012 01:29 |  #4

Do they pay you for your contributions for the letters?

Sounds like they are getting maximum revenue from you, and you are getting minimum benefit.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 24, 2012 01:31 |  #5

Pete-

Event producers want media exposure to promote events or happy customers to generate losts of $$$. The quality of the photos is a minor concern as part of their overall business. When you can clearly show you can deliver good value to them, they will choose your services. If you are getting locked out-make a new plan.

-Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

HammerCope
THREAD ­ STARTER
795 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 24, 2012 01:35 |  #6

Most do pay for the photographs. I have acouple that helped me get my start so we trade out the pictures for membership. My biggest comlaint that I'm getting at is photogrpahers paying the event organizers $500 $500 and up to shoot a one or two night event.

Pete

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 24, 2012 12:45 |  #7

If the organizers can get away with it, more power to them!

The Long Beach Grand Prix has a special pass known as a 'super photo' pass which can give the 'average' fan access to select 'photo towers'. The pass is more expensive than nearly all passes except the special hospitality passes - http://gplb.com/ticket​_prices.html (external link)

Here's the restrictions of the super photo pass - http://gplb.com/super_​photo.html (external link)

Of course, working media are granted a less restrictive photo pass gratis, because of the exposure they offer. I assume this is likely a similar situation. Surely the event organizers you speak of aren't telling the local tv station news crew or newspaper that they have to pay $500 to show up to their event and run a bit on it.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,563 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 24, 2012 21:11 |  #8

I'm not certain that I'm understanding exactly what you're talking about. Are you talking about a commercial venture taking place where a photographer or company is paying to have exclusive rights to the photography for the event and they then sell the photos?....or are you talking about them charging more to private individuals who want access to take photos?
If it's a business buying exclusive rights to the photography for the event, then they are most likely covering those fees through the sales they are making and still turning a profit after that (otherwise they wouldn't pay it). If that's the case, couldn't you offer to buy the rights to the photography for the event and then make the money back plus some? It sounds like you have pretty good connections.

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 24, 2012 22:40 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #9

They are probably paying for an exclusive. This creates revenue for the organization and minimizes the liability of the organization by keeping all the GWAC's off the sidelines.

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 25, 2012 07:02 |  #10

HammerCope wrote in post #14317553 (external link)
Most do pay for the photographs. I have acouple that helped me get my start so we trade out the pictures for membership. My biggest comlaint that I'm getting at is photogrpahers paying the event organizers $500 $500 and up to shoot a one or two night event.

Its just a way to make some additional cash for an event organizer, since things are tough these days. I know of an organization that wanted photographers to pay for access and give them photos to use for PR also.

These photographers will have to hustle to help overcome that $500+ price of admission, and it may take a few events for them to realize they are getting shafted.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

sponsored links

1,187 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paying for events
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.