Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 09:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

recommend a printer

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 24, 2012 15:59 |  #16

tonylong wrote in post #14305145 (external link)
Hugh, to be clear, what inks and papers are you using? I'm asking, because talk of the "inexpensive" prints seem to imply using non-OEM ink/paper combos, which may not be so "safe" for photo printing...

I use Epson Luster paper, and the Epson inks for the 1400, which are new generation dye inks (the more expensive Epsons use pigment inks, but 1400 uses dye). The trade-off for using dye is 98 years without fading versus 200 years. I'm already over 60, so 98 years will do nicely.

Regarding cost, I once calculated the number of prints per set of six ink cartridges. It turned out to be 87 8.5"x11" prints. At the current price of ink at Henry's in Toronto, that is $1.52 per print. Luster paper in this size is $0.80 per sheet, so average cost per 8.5"x11" print is $2.32. I suspect it can be done cheaper with other papers and inks, but this is a hobby for me, and I get very high and reproducible quality this way.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 25, 2012 10:41 |  #17

Wilt wrote in post #14310497 (external link)
OTOH, Epsons, which use pigment, are much more prone to clogging heads when not used frequently.

I have an R2880, and do not use it regularly.
I've yet to have a second time it clogged…
First clog (after about a year) was solved with 1 cleaning pass.

I print maybe once a month. YMMV

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 25, 2012 11:49 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #18

I agree completely with Kumsa. Printing your own is not a way to save $$. You probably won't, and you certainly won't save enough to make it worth the effort. I print my own because I like to. I like to print when I want, I don't want to wait to see whether the results are satisfactory, and I like to use whatever paper strikes my fancy. If that is not appealing to you, then use a lab. I have used Bay Photo a few times, and their prints were very good. I would have no hesitation about using them again if I had some things I did not want to print on my own.

I also agree about the Canon Pro 9000II. I bought one recently -- $250 after a rebate--and have been delighted by the quality of the prints it produced. I deliberately chose dye--I often leave my printers idle for long periods, and despite that, I have never had a single clog in 4 or 5 years of using Canon dye-based printers.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 25, 2012 19:30 |  #19

paddler4 wrote in post #14326710 (external link)
I agree completely with Kumsa. Printing your own is not a way to save $$. You probably won't, and you certainly won't save enough to make it worth the effort. I print my own because I like to. I like to print when I want, I don't want to wait to see whether the results are satisfactory, and I like to use whatever paper strikes my fancy.
I also agree about the Canon Pro 9000II.

+1
It's FUN!!!

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 27, 2012 10:40 |  #20

I agree with paddler4: I do all my own printing because I enjoy the process and the rapid feedback. This has enabled me to refine my CS5 PP techniques so that I almost always get exactly the print I want the first time. Printing is part of the joy of digital photography for me (as wet darkroom work was in my film days), but if you don't enjoy printing, by all means send your files to a lab you find acceptable.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,600 views & 0 likes for this thread
recommend a printer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.