Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New dilemma re T3i

Fabb
49 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 25, 2012 20:48 |  #1

I decided to start a new thread about the T3i I just purchased yesterday instead of continuing my T2i/T3i thread.

I charged up the battery which took less than 15 minutes. The body looked fine and the lens too other than a smudge on the lens glass. I went to put in my new SD card when I found an 8gb in the slot with 782 vacation pictures from Costa Rica on it. Obviously this camera was not bought and returned in 24 hours (as the sales rep said) but was rented for a week. There are pictures of their dolphin excursions with a lot of water splashing around. I'm concerned about the salt water exposure considering they used it on their vacation only to return it. I used EOScount to find 1371 shutter actuations. I guess this isn't much but I'm still a little steamed right now.

Should I take it back? I only got a $30 (to $719) discount for open box (it was also the only T3i with a kit lens available at this location). I turned in my old broken Canon P&S for the $100 credit to make my purchase $619. Should I drive a harder bargain? Better discount? Or return it and find it at another location for $649? The sales guy assured me it wasn't used and that he gave it a *thorough* inspection.

Ugh.

My Stuff

sponsored links
chrisinont
155 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 25, 2012 21:25 |  #2

My inclination would be to take it back. Canon is selling the camera for $799.99 on their e-store. http://estore.canon.ca …/subCategoryHom​e?subid=53 (external link)
Take the card back with you so you have proof. Look around, you might be able to get a better deal elsewhere.

KennyD
88 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 25, 2012 21:40 |  #3

I would take it back. First of all, the salesman wasn't truthful, saying it was never used. Like you, I'd be concerned about the exposure to salt water. I don't know if you'll get that camera for that price anywhere. You expected brand new and it should be brand new. Just my opinion...and yes, bring the card and show them the shutter actuations.

3Ti | EF 50mm 1.8 | EFS 18-55mm |EFS 55-250mm| Tamron 18-270 Di II VC PZD | Tamron SP 90mm macro | EF12 II | Bower SDF680C

nyc2sd
368 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 25, 2012 21:45 |  #4

Take it back. $30 isn't worth not just getting a new one.

Canon 70D, 580EXII, 16-35mk 2.8IIL, 50 1.4, 70-200 F2.8 ISL
Webmaster at The Millionaire Car Club (external link) -
My FLICKR (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 25, 2012 22:55 |  #5

Take it back. Not worth saving $30.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 26, 2012 04:56 |  #6

Fabb wrote in post #14329640 (external link)
I decided to start a new thread about the T3i I just purchased yesterday instead of continuing my T2i/T3i thread.

I charged up the battery which took less than 15 minutes. The body looked fine and the lens too other than a smudge on the lens glass. I went to put in my new SD card when I found an 8gb in the slot with 782 vacation pictures from Costa Rica on it. Obviously this camera was not bought and returned in 24 hours (as the sales rep said) but was rented for a week. There are pictures of their dolphin excursions with a lot of water splashing around. I'm concerned about the salt water exposure considering they used it on their vacation only to return it. I used EOScount to find 1371 shutter actuations. I guess this isn't much but I'm still a little steamed right now.

Should I take it back? I only got a $30 (to $719) discount for open box (it was also the only T3i with a kit lens available at this location). I turned in my old broken Canon P&S for the $100 credit to make my purchase $619. Should I drive a harder bargain? Better discount? Or return it and find it at another location for $649? The sales guy assured me it wasn't used and that he gave it a *thorough* inspection.

Ugh.

this was a local camera shop?
I would be inclined to take it back and show the salesman the "vacation" photos

Fabb
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 26, 2012 08:29 |  #7

watt100 wrote in post #14331348 (external link)
this was a local camera shop?
I would be inclined to take it back and show the salesman the "vacation" photos

No, it was a big box. I'm all set to buy a flash at a local shop this weekend but I need to sort out the camera situation first. I am returning the camera today.

My Stuff

svassh
302 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 26, 2012 08:37 |  #8

Take it back, buy a refurb from Canon Loyalty Program. 20% Discount off the web price, 90- day warranty and free shipping.

Samsung NX1, NX 500, 16-50S, 50-150S, 12-24mm, 45 1.8

slickooz
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 26, 2012 08:42 |  #9

Take it back and complain. Saving of only 30 dollars for a used camera is not worth it. I would ask them to give you a bigger discount and tell them to exchange it for new one. Just wait till they stock up again.

Facebook: Gary Feng Photography (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 26, 2012 08:45 |  #10

Fabb wrote in post #14329640 (external link)
I turned in my old broken Canon P&S for the $100 credit to make my purchase $619.

Are you going to be able to recover the old camera to use as a trade-in elsewhere? If not, make sure you get CASH for the credit when you return the "new" camera.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

chrisinont
155 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 26, 2012 08:48 as a reply to  @ svassh's post |  #11

Remember this is in Canada. I don't think we have a refurb program here, at least not one that I am aware of. You might want to talk to the manager of the box store to get some results. Do you have Henry's stores in Calgary? Just another place to check out. Good luck, and let us know how things work out. Also, check out Canadian store prices online and then let the place where you are buying know. Quite often they will match prices of other retailers.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,343 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 26, 2012 08:55 |  #12

I would definitely take it back. First of all even if the camera was essentially "open box" I don't think you got the best of deals. The Canon refurb site is at http://shop.usa.canon.​com …gory_10051_1005​1_-1_29252 (external link). At the site the current T3i related equipment is the EOS Rebel T3i EF-S 18-55mm IS II lens Kit at $680
and the EOS Rebel T3i body only at $560. Under the Canon Loyalty Program (CLP) that someone mentioned you would get 20% off those stated prices for the return of the old broken Canon P&S that you mention. That would have made the prices $544 for the kit with lens and $448 for just the body.

Assuming you live in the States and can thus can take advantage of the CLP, have the advantage of some time, I would return the camera for a full refund, even to the extent of getting back your "trade". Then deal with Canon and you'll have a replacement in a matter of days. If the can't give you back your trade, show them this thread and tell them they owe you a different camera/lens and about $75. [Added comment, I see by other posts you live in Calgary and are female. That means you aren't eligible for CLP (the Canada part!) but I wonder if the store even knows that? Anyway be firm on the return to get what you deserve at a fair price.]

I assume you put this on a credit card, if so be prepared to be stern and tell them you won't allow the payment to be processed.

zrock
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 26, 2012 09:39 |  #13

I would also be worried about the warranty and if it was registered in the previous owners name and when it started. You are losing out on warranty as well

Canon T1i
EFS 18-55mm
EFS 55-250mm
430EX II

Fabb
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 26, 2012 09:51 as a reply to  @ zrock's post |  #14

Thanks everyone for the replies.

No, there is no loyalty program here unfortunately. I don't think the camera was registered either as the previous owners went to great lengths to ensure the camera looked unused. They just wanted a decent camera for their jungle eco-tour.

I'll post an update later today.

My Stuff

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,343 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 26, 2012 10:05 |  #15

This whole scenario sounds like a neighbor. He always had a great camera for vacations but never really owned any...

As the saying goes, there are more horses asses in the world than there are horses.

sponsored links

2,897 views & 0 likes for this thread
New dilemma re T3i
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.