Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 25 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 23:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mt. Bike Self Portrait Experiment

MadTony
430 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 25, 2012 23:24 |  #1

I needed to get out on the bike after a long race last weekend, but my legs were still telling me to take it easy. I decided to load up the pack and do some experimenting with mountain biking self portraits on a solo "goof off ride".

I brought my small travel tripod, 5DII, 24-105L, and wireless remote. I set the camera to 2 sec timer with +/- 1/3 stop AEB (mainly for 3 closely-spaced shots off one remote shutter press). I composed the shot and pre-focused on the turn. It took a few passes to get the timing down- it was hard to get up to speed one handed, hit the remote trigger through my pocket, then grab the bar in time to make the turn.

Here's the result:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

[ISO 1600, f/4, 1/1000 sec.]

A few notes:
-You can see the remote peeking out of my right shorts pocket
-I didn't realize I stuck my tongue out when cornering...now i know!
-I'm totally doing more of this when there is a bit more light out. It was fun to set things up and get a halfways-decent result!

Adam Pender
5DIII | 7DII | 16-35 f/4L IS | 24-70 f/2.8 L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100-400 L IS II
Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24 f/3.5L II | | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | 100 f/2.8L IS | 1.4x III | 2.0x III | 580EXII | 430EX
For sale:24-105 f/4L IS, 24 f/1.4L II
www.adampenderphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
biffstephens
43 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 25, 2012 23:41 |  #2

LIKE!!!

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 25, 2012 23:44 |  #3

Good job! I'd like to see more of this.

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 25, 2012 23:45 as a reply to  @ biffstephens's post |  #4

Great shot. I want to see some of the rejects!

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 26, 2012 00:00 |  #5

bueno!

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

SgtBourne
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 26, 2012 05:53 |  #6

Nice mate, and nice lean!!!!

Nikon Imposter!
flickr (external link)

missjenniferrae
262 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 26, 2012 06:19 |  #7

really really cool idea!

Which of my photographs is my favorite?
The one I'm going to take tomorrow
25. Connecticut. 50D
Sports & Lifestyle Photographer

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 26, 2012 08:26 |  #8

well done! thanks for the motivation to go give this a try. I don't have a remote trigger but Id imagine I could set the timer for a longer period to allow me to setup. A few (probably many) test runs should hopefully show you right where you'll be when the camera fires.

again, thanks for the motivation to try this out, looking forward to seeing some more from you (perhaps with some fill or off camera flash as well).

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

tdp_photos
170 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 26, 2012 08:37 |  #9

Nice bike, good shot and idea.

Ever think about taping or zip tieing the remote to your handle bars where your thumb can reach it while the rest of your hand holds on to the handlebar?

my flickr (external link) - my 500px (external link)

Gruffalogill
90 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 26, 2012 08:37 |  #10

MadTony wrote in post #14330459 (external link)
It was fun to set things up and get a halfways-decent result!

I think you're selling yourself short - you've taken a better shot than a lot of people (me included) could have taken had they been stood on the corner :)

Buyer/Seller Feedback

Aressem
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 26, 2012 09:57 |  #11

Excellent! Thinking outside the box - I like it!

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

greg ­ h
55 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 26, 2012 10:44 as a reply to  @ Aressem's post |  #12

Very nice. Way to think creatively.

Greg

www.haugenphoto.com (external link)
1D MkII, 7D, some L glass, bunch of speedlites..

PNPhotography
812 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 26, 2012 17:40 |  #13

Why dont you just have a friend take the shot?

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

MadTony
THREAD ­ STARTER
430 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 26, 2012 23:43 |  #14

Thanks everyone for the kind words and feedback!

namasste wrote in post #14331877 (external link)
well done! thanks for the motivation to go give this a try. I don't have a remote trigger but Id imagine I could set the timer for a longer period to allow me to setup. A few (probably many) test runs should hopefully show you right where you'll be when the camera fires.

again, thanks for the motivation to try this out, looking forward to seeing some more from you (perhaps with some fill or off camera flash as well).

I think it is definitely possible, especially for "biking away" shots. (Tougher with a 10-second timer to get "biking at the camera" shots, I bet) I am going to work in some flash on my next outing, I think. I skipped it here because of the overcast, soft light, but I regret not having it a bit.

tdp_photos wrote in post #14331925 (external link)
Nice bike, good shot and idea.

Ever think about taping or zip tieing the remote to your handle bars where your thumb can reach it while the rest of your hand holds on to the handlebar?

That's a good idea. The shape of the remote would not work well with a zip tie, but black electrical tape would be perfect to secure it to the bar and keep it unobtrusive.

Gruffalogill wrote in post #14331927 (external link)
I think you're selling yourself short - you've taken a better shot than a lot of people (me included) could have taken had they been stood on the corner

Thank you! I appreciate that! I hope to raise my game some over the summer-see below the photos for more on this topic.

canon rookie wrote in post #14334640 (external link)
Why dont you just have a friend take the shot?

Sometimes when I am on a solo ride, I don't have a friend handy. ;)

Actually, I do most of my riding solo. When I am with friends, I try to limit the "long set up" photos to keep the flow of the ride going. I pull out a point-and-shoot every now and then, but the guy I ride and race with most often is an ironman triathlete, and we are usually out to train, so long setups are a bit counterproductive. We will both be done with our races for the year soon though, and will be switching to more "fun" and "adventure" rides, so I am hoping to try to do more of this in the future.

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14330549 (external link)
Great shot. I want to see some of the rejects!

Here's a few more from the 30 minutes or so that I was shooting:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

(Same corner as the shot in the first post, looking the other way)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

(Heading back uphill between "takes")

IMAGE NOT FOUND

("Almost" got it. I just missed the focus point, which was a bit behind me in this shot.) Still kinda cool.)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

(Experimenting with intentionally slow shutter speeds here.)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

(Here too.)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

(I wish I had a higher vantage point on this shot for more of an "s-shaped" trail to lead the eye better.)

As I mentioned before, I really enjoyed this experiment, and I am going to see what other fun stuff I can get as a bit of a mini-project over the summer. Once I have a few more from more than one ride, I might start a thread for everyone to share theirs. One or two of these pictures might make it on there in the future, too. Hopefully we can learn from each other-I know I picked up a few good ideas from the comments here, so thanks, everyone!

And a few more thoughts:
-Usually I hit the turn (in the first photo) just once as I ride through the trail, but taking multiple runs at it was a good way to optimize the line on it. I am looking forward to going back!

-Splitting concentration between the shot and the bike made it a bit easier to lose control or take a bad line. It took some practice to coordinate hitting the remote at the right time and still riding smoothly through the turns.

-Try to keep the rubber side down-you can always go back for another try, unless you crash and hurt yourself, your bike, your camera, or a combination of these.

-Brakes only slow you down! :D

Adam Pender
5DIII | 7DII | 16-35 f/4L IS | 24-70 f/2.8 L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100-400 L IS II
Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24 f/3.5L II | | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | 100 f/2.8L IS | 1.4x III | 2.0x III | 580EXII | 430EX
For sale:24-105 f/4L IS, 24 f/1.4L II
www.adampenderphotogra​phy.com (external link)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Apr 27, 2012 00:28 |  #15

A slow shutter speed in conjunction with the flash can give you some interesting results. Second curtain sync with the bike heading at the camera.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

sponsored links

3,130 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mt. Bike Self Portrait Experiment
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.