Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 22:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Withdrawing from an e-shoot

this thread is locked
TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 25, 2012 22:51 |  #1

Diplomacy seems to be working. Thanks for the feedback!

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 25, 2012 23:07 |  #2

I am not sure how the entire conversation went, but it seems like she's just excited about all of this, no? I certainly don't sense there's a Bridesilla lurking somewhere in there. Hard to tell.

BTW, one hour for an e-session?

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 25, 2012 23:09 |  #3

That is a very smart move on your part - At that point, any other decision would lead to a very awkward shoot, which would produce undesirable results, which would unleash an even bigger 'bridezilla.' Your email doesn't seem angry at all. It's concise and professional, I couldn't have written it better myself.

(Assuming she's been trying to haggle/argue over time and copyright for a good while)

Richard
Your friendly neighborhood photographer/organist-in-the-making
www.anvil.cc (external link)

TheBrick3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 25, 2012 23:13 |  #4

nicksan wrote in post #14330392 (external link)
I am not sure how the entire conversation went, but it seems like she's just excited about all of this, no? I certainly don't sense there's a Bridesilla lurking somewhere in there. Hard to tell.

BTW, one hour for an e-session?

She only wants to pay for an hour to get the couple pictures she needs.

I've never heard of a three outfit e-shoot. I expected her to go with one, if anything, rather than three given concerns over changing time.I have been worried about her before. I have tried to be accommodating. But If I'm going to travel far enough that it's not going to make economic sense, it needs to be fun for me and look like something that'll pay off long term.

Website (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 25, 2012 23:53 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Well, one thing you can bank on is bad publicity.

If someone asks her for a recommendation for a photographer, even if she doesn't know any others, you can bet your last dollar that she'll bring your name up as the guy not to hire...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

TheBrick3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 26, 2012 00:45 |  #6

BreitlingFan wrote in post #14330595 (external link)
Well, one thing you can bank on is bad publicity.

If someone asks her for a recommendation for a photographer, even if she doesn't know any others, you can bet your last dollar that she'll bring your name up as the guy not to hire...

I was aware of that. It's better than being the guy who screwed up her wedding.

In any event, I've decided to tell her (nicely and gently) that we're cutting it close anyways and it's not feasible to do this is an hour with three outfits. I will offer her an additional hour at a discounted rate less than the first which works out to really a pretty nominal (IMO) difference. I don't really pay that much attention to shooting times when pricing things, anyways, but don't care for her "I'm sorry this is going to take more than an hour, but I'm really excited" attitude, in addition to other concerns.

There's four outcomes, three of which are good.

1) She'll take the deal
2) She'll cancel the shoot (I think this would be the most likely, but hopefully she can be reasonable. At least I'm not totally the bad guy)
3) She won't take the deal but will understand and settle for two outfits (unlikely)
4) She won't take the deal, she won't cancel the shoot, she won't understand and will be mad during the shoot. (I think this is really unlikely, but obviously quite bad, I will also send over a contract to help protect against her madness).

Website (external link)

TheBrick3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 26, 2012 00:47 |  #7

artemisn wrote in post #14330404 (external link)
That is a very smart move on your part - At that point, any other decision would lead to a very awkward shoot, which would produce undesirable results, which would unleash an even bigger 'bridezilla.' Your email doesn't seem angry at all. It's concise and professional, I couldn't have written it better myself.

Thanks! Hopefully there is room for diplomacy.

Website (external link)

biffstephens
43 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 26, 2012 01:09 as a reply to  @ TheBrick3's post |  #8

Simply increase the price per 5 min block...I have an app on my iPhone that keeps track. Gift them the extra processing time.

I have a feeling your not going to make her day unless you give it to her (that's what he said) for free or accommodate. Good thing is in 5 years they will be thrown away to make room for the new boyfriend (too soon?)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 26, 2012 01:13 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

TheBrick3 wrote in post #14330772 (external link)
but don't care for her "I'm sorry this is going to take more than an hour, but I'm really excited" attitude, in addition to other concerns.

That's not a problem, that's an opportunity. You need to treat it as one.

I would much rather have a client who's excited than one who doesn't want to be there, is sullen, and just wants to get it over with. You say you don't really pay attention to shooting times, but you seem to be putting your foot down because she's excited?

I don't know, man. I don't get it...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 26, 2012 01:14 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

TheBrick3 wrote in post #14330772 (external link)
I2) She'll cancel the shoot (I think this would be the most likely, but hopefully she can be reasonable. At least I'm not totally the bad guy)

You're saying this from your perspective, not hers.

To everyone she talks to about photographers and, more specifically you, you will absolutely be the bad guy...

Gear List

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 26, 2012 01:30 |  #11

If she is so excited, isn't this the perfect time to upsell her another 1/2 to 1 hour?

Tell her how relaxing it will be for her being able to change into 3 outfits and do her her makeup etc.......but an hour isn't going to work so upsell her. Then if she doesn't want it.....it's her pulling out of the deal...not you.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Alan-Chapman
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 26, 2012 01:37 |  #12

Your gut reaction is normal right, trust it. good letter.

Alan Chapman
Photography Marketing Coach

www.alan-chapman.com (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 26, 2012 01:39 |  #13

I don't know the entire story but I think that you're being a little too quick to cut things off. To me, it just sounds like she's excited about the shoot and wants to work in several different looks. IMO, that's better than a couple who are completely lackadaisical about the whole thing.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 26, 2012 04:46 |  #14

nicksan wrote in post #14330392 (external link)

Agreed. Doesn't sound Bridezilla to me. Just sounds like an excited girl wanting to know what her money is buying exactly - since there's no contract spelling it out for her. If I didn't know what I was getting, I'd ask. If my service provider freaked out over that I'd wonder if they had all their marbles.

I always work it that they get so many hours minimum, with no promises but every attempt made to accommodate beyond that. Within that x number of hours, we're unlimited in outfits, locations, etc as long as logistics support it. It's also in writing, and signed. A contract is more than a model release and no one gets a session without signing. That's where I do put my foot down and make no exceptions - but I tell them it's for both of us, not just me. There are terms in there that cover them as well. Not a single client has ever had a problem signing a legal document that protects them and spells out exactly what they'll get and what it costs.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 26, 2012 06:20 |  #15

TheBrick3 wrote in post #14330346 (external link)
I have a shoot scheduled for Friday, but after getting an e-mail at 10:30 tonight my bridezilla alarm has boiled over. I should have bowed out earlier and will be smarter next time.

To give a little context, she e-mailed last week and asked if changing clothes time counts against her hour, essentially haggling for an extra ten minutes. I told her kindly and gently that is part of the hour, but I don't stick to the clock and would never cut her off at 7:00 p.m. She didn't respond to that and I checked in Monday to see if she had any questions for Friday. Tonight she e-mailed that they they're going with three outfits and closes with: "I hope this isn't too much. I know we are trying to stay as close to an hour as possible. But as you can tell we're pretty excited! Thanks again for your help :)"

I realize I could just say she has to go with two outfits, but I can just see this isn't going to end well and I'm not touching the wedding with a ten foot pool. I realize many may say this is unprofessional and it is, but we do not have a contract and this is something that can be rescheduled. I do usually work with contracts, but hadn't here since the contract mostly serves as a model release that she won't sign.

I have a draft of an e-mail below.

I am amendable to cutting it down to the first sentence of each paragraph and then just the last sentence if that's better. Eitherway, I'll contact her first thing in the morning.

...hold on: it looks like you never told her that she couldn't do three outfits. It looks like you gave her an extra ten minutes: and maybe she thinks that she can change her clothes twice in that time. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

It looks like you are the one that is communicating poorly: and to cancel based on what you describe is a bit strange to say the least.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links

4,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Withdrawing from an e-shoot
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.