Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 08:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blackrapid (or knock off) failure...

Newb777
160 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 26, 2012 08:49 |  #1

Hey!

On another thread on this forum, a user wrote to Canon and asked if the Black Rapid system is safe to use with his camera and Canon replied that

"Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital Camera.

To confirm, the tripod mount on the EOS series camera is designed to support the camera when being used on a tripod (optional accessory). It is not designed for the manner in which this neck strap is being attached. In addition to this, the weight with which it can support, is not a documented specification. Therefore using such an accessory would be at your own accord and is not recommended by Canon."

My question is simple:
Has anyone had a problem with their BR failing to hold the camera?
If you have an ebay knockoff of the BR - feel free to comment as well.

Thanks!

MK III ;) (Nope, sold!) 70D
50mm f/1.4 EF 24-105mm f/4L(SOLD!) EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii
Speedlite 430 EX II Strato II TX

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 26, 2012 09:09 |  #2

Never had a problem with my black rapid.

Gear List

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2012 09:17 |  #3

Newb777 wrote in post #14331978 (external link)
Hey!

On another thread on this forum, a user wrote to Canon and asked if the Black Rapid system is safe to use with his camera and Canon replied that

My question is simple:
Has anyone had a problem with their BR failing to hold the camera?
If you have an ebay knockoff of the BR - feel free to comment as well.

Thanks!

That's a typical cya response. As for the Black Rapid, can't answer that. I very happily use an Optech and have it mounted quite differently.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

Newb777
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 26, 2012 09:35 |  #4

Thanks for replying guys!

That's a typical cya response

Yep, thats what I figured as well and so picked one up from eBay... but just to be a bit more sure I asked in the forums to see if anyone has had any "failures" using the system.

Cheers!

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2012 09:48 |  #5

For the weight of your lenses I'd say you'll never have a problem. I usually carry a ten pound lens so I made a plate that fits between my QR plate and the lens. Different situation than you have. I wouldn't trust mine to the tripod screw in the body. Not only the weight on the threaded hole but the weight being carried by the lens mount in the front of the body.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

Newb777
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 26, 2012 10:24 |  #6

luciddreamer wrote in post #14332282 (external link)
For the weight of your lenses I'd say you'll never have a problem.

Thanks!
I may be going FF this year as the Mark III is _TEMPTING_! I'm thinking I'll also rig up something with fishing wire to the strap braces as a "just in case" - What do you think?

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 26, 2012 10:32 |  #7

the knock off failures ive seen (havent experienced it first hand) are caused by the knock offs craftmanship and not because of the cameras tripod socket. and as lucciddreamer said, the weight of your gear shouldnt be cause for alarm.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

marcosv
775 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 26, 2012 10:45 |  #8

I have meet three people who's camera bodies fell when using a Black Rapid. Some were due to user error where they didn't properly wet the rubber gasket when attaching to the camera's tripod socket.

Personally I wouldn't hang long, heavy lens on a BR strap, such as a 70-200/2.8L IS, when attached to the camera body's tripod socket. Would rather attach to the lens' tripod collar.

EOS-M | 40D | 5DII | 5DIII | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-55 | 10-22 | 17-55 | 17-40L | 24-70L mk II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS mk II| 35L | 85L II |35/2 | 40/2.8 pancake | 50/1.8 | 50/1.4 | 100/2 | Rokinon 14/2.8 | 90 EX | 270 EX II | 580 EXII | 600 EX-RT

Newb777
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 26, 2012 11:28 |  #9

marcosv wrote in post #14332591 (external link)
Personally I wouldn't hang long, heavy lens on a BR strap, such as a 70-200/2.8L IS, when attached to the camera body's tripod socket. Would rather attach to the lens' tripod collar.

But what about for lenses that dont come with a collar (for instance when Canon gets cheap and does not include one in the 70-300L :mad: ) ?

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 26, 2012 11:56 |  #10

marcosv wrote in post #14332591 (external link)
I have meet three people who's camera bodies fell when using a Black Rapid. Some were due to user error where they didn't properly wet the rubber gasket when attaching to the camera's tripod socket.

I used a Domke Gripper strap for 20+ years on various cameras. Any failure of the strap or if I install it wrong, and I would drop my camera and lens.

I own a BR strap, but I've stopped using it. I don't like the carabiner design. It has a tiny pin welded to it, and I can't judge the quality of the weld. The pin joins the pre-manufactured carabiner to the rectangular shaped strap loop. If that weld is a bad one, or if it fails, then the camera and lens fail the drop test. I shall either find a connector I like, replace the strap, or continue to use a conventional camera strap. That's my choice, but comes from past experience. I regret not buying a Luma Loop strap when it was offered. And I'm reluctant to spend more money on sling straps.

Dave

sponsored links

2,706 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blackrapid (or knock off) failure...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.