Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 07:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom or Photoshop

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 26, 2012 18:17 |  #16

dirtylens wrote in post #14334218 (external link)
Can someone comment on the learning curve on the software? For instance, LR. For a total newbie, is it difficult to use? if so, what is the best way to learn the software?

For Lightroom, the big part of the "learning curve" is to me learning a good "workflow" that incorporates the organizational tasks as well as the development tasks. I recommend getting one of the Lightroom "primers" by Scott Kelby, Victoria Bampton or Martin Evening. Work through one (or more) of the books completely and you should be in good shape. I gather that maybe only Victoria has the LR4 version out, but for most things the LR3 version would be very good.

As to the image development/processing​, again one of the books, but there are many online resources as well giving pointers in using Lightroom, and really it can be quite quick to get "up to speed".

Photoshop is a much more complex program and will be a much longer process to learn its various features and tools, although you can get "started" pretty quickly with a few tasks.

For both Lightroom and Photoshop a good step would be to go to either Lynda.com or KelbyTraining.com and sign up for an "essentials" course.

Ltdave wrote in post #14334743 (external link)
in reading the responses, i gather that for standard editing for IQ, LR or PS will work but for RETOUCHING images, PhotoShop is the preferred software?

thanks for the responses

It depends on what you mean by "retouching". Lightroom can do a whole lot, but for some tasks you will need an app like Photoshop. Many people do the great majority of their work in Lightroom but at least have Photoshop Elements on hand.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
curlydog
143 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 26, 2012 18:37 |  #17

René Damkot wrote in post #14329070 (external link)
Only for those who subscribe for a year and already own the entire CS3 (or newer) suite

https://creativecloud-specialoffer.adobe.com​/special-offer/?loc=en_US (external link)

And that's subscription based, which you may not like (I don't).

Partly correct, however you only need to own Photoshop CS3 not the entire suite. An I too have always hated the cloud idea, however in this case the software actually runs locally and when you add in all the other piece it is an awesome deal if you use those pieces which my wife and I will. While I assume we will only be allowed to loaod the software on one of our laptops(both are beefy enough to handle any of the suite items) I only work on CS in the evenings and weekends and the wife uses them in the Church office during the day so 1 should do it.

Canon 50D / Canon 6D
-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon 24-105mm L Sigma EF 500 DG Super Photoshop CC Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM Alien Bees 2-ab400 2-ab800 http://photos.curlydog​.com (external link) Just a Guy With a Camera Shooting His Daughter and Her Friends Dancing

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 26, 2012 21:46 |  #18

Ltdave wrote in post #14325389 (external link)
What kind of learning curve do these programs have? Are they just "get them and start playing with them" type software?

dirtylens wrote in post #14334218 (external link)
Can someone comment on the learning curve on the software? For instance, LR. For a total newbie, is it difficult to use? if so, what is the best way to learn the software?

The learning curve is dependent on the user. Some will grasp it easily and quickly, some might not. LR IMO is extremely easy to grasp compared to PS.

There are many places online where you can learn these programs easily. If you are determined to learn, you'll probably do well.

I'm just throwing out some random number with no data to back this up. But I think a newbie who's determined and dedicated could learn LR and know everything there is to know in about 3 months. This is someone who's very determined and reads / watches tutorials and regularly practices. As far as PS is concerned, maybe 2 years of dedicating yourself to the software.

In PS there are many ways to accomplish the same thing and imo it's good to learn as many ways as possible to perform certain tasks since one technique might work better in one situation, where a different technique might be better in different situation. And you can determine which techniques fit your workflow better.

in reading the responses, i gather that for standard editing for IQ, LR or PS will work but for RETOUCHING images, PhotoShop is the preferred software?

That sounds right to me. LR is your digital darkroom with great organization options. You can do some basic retouching in LR too, such as selective coloring, selective sharpening, etc. In PS you have more control and flexibility (if you need it) and there are many things you can do in PS you simply can't in LR, such as liquify, warp, transform, layers, etc. But not everyone needs that.

I finally started taking the time to really learn PS and few weeks ago. So far I've learned a ton though I've been using LR since the 2nd version. Thank goodness for the internet and all these fabulous tutorials!!

tonylong wrote in post #14334860 (external link)
For both Lightroom and Photoshop a good step would be to go to either Lynda.com or KelbyTraining.com and sign up for an "essentials" course.

These are great places to learn and you can have LR or PS open and practice while you learn.

There are many great videos on youtube and other sites, for free, but be careful who you learn from.

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 26, 2012 22:49 |  #19

If you shoot RAW and simply want a means to refine and develop your images then LR is the way to so. If you want to do multiple layers and create composite photos you need at least PSE if not PS. I had both PSE and LR and after a few months of using both I uninstalled PSE and now just use LR. I am not trying to create something I did not see, I am just trying to make what I saw show up in my output. I am just a hobbyist so my success rate varies. I really love the LR program and have learned a ton at slrlounge.com about it.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

sssc
716 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 27, 2012 07:08 |  #20

Ltdave wrote in post #14325389 (external link)
What kind of learning curve do these programs have? Are they just "get them and start playing with them" type software?

I need to get one soon...

. Was new to digital.Didn't know anything about raw. Learned about raw and all of that here on POTN. Got LR3. now have LR4. Learned a bunch from this here https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=684360 .Got PS played with it. bought a book .Now doing some of the online courses with it. At this point there are things i rather do in PS than LR. But 98% of my stuff runs through LR with out PS.Pretty much what Tony and the others have said. The one thing i have really learned from my experience at this point is .I need to know my lenses better than what i do and take better shots.

Keith-EOS R 7D MarkII EOS REBEL T2i 18-55,55-250.85 1/8. 100-400L. 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. 24-105mm f/4L IS,70-200 II,RF 24-105

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 27, 2012 13:21 |  #21

If you want to boil it down to black and white: YES, you are correct.

Just be aware that there is quite some substantial 'grey' overlap.

Donate if you love POTN

ratempa
438 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 27, 2012 13:24 |  #22

To OP, get lightroom first. It is much easier to use than photoshop. Once you've outgrown lightroom then go for photoshop.

FaceBook (external link)
500px (external link)
InstaGram (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,893 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 27, 2012 18:31 |  #23

LR is a RAW conversion program, and heavy duty photo database management.

Programs like Elements and Paint Shop Pro are often used to complement LR, when the user needs to do some pixel-level editing.

ACR is a RAW conversion program, and normally is used alongside Photoshop for pixel editing and graphic design, as part of the Adobe CSn suite of programs, which also includes Bridge for some data management; 'Photoshop CSn Extended' = Photoshop + ACR + Bridge.

So 'LR or Photoshop?' is like asking if I need 'Microsoft Office or Word?'.
"LR or Photoshop CSn Extended?" is a direct comparison of purchase alternatives.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 28, 2012 03:38 |  #24

curlydog wrote in post #14334949 (external link)
Partly correct, however you only need to own Photoshop CS3 not the entire suite.

You're right. I read a bit too fast ;)

An I too have always hated the cloud idea, however in this case the software actually runs locally

Obviously.

and when you add in all the other piece it is an awesome deal if you use those pieces which my wife and I will.

Depends. http://macperformanceg​uide.com …0426_1-The-Adobe-Tax.html (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 28, 2012 03:47 |  #25

ratempa wrote in post #14339396 (external link)
To OP, get lightroom first. It is much easier to use than photoshop. Once you've outgrown lightroom then go for photoshop.

I respectively disagree with this position...

Despite an exponential growth in my own CS5 skills over the last 18 months, Lightroom is still an integral part of my workflow. It's my "home base" where all my projects start through culling, basic exposure and white balance adjustments, leveling and cropping for aspect ratio all take place. It's also where all my CS5 edits come home to roost at the end of the entire production process.

I've grown into other applications by Nik, Filter Forge and others but I don't think I'll ever reach a point where Lightroom no longer matters.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

4,205 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom or Photoshop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.