Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 23 Apr 2012 (Monday) 22:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Florida 2012 Sampler: Dancing in the Mangroves

SacMac
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2012 05:13 |  #31

Oh, Steve, one of my favourite places in Florida. It was on the beach here that I first got my chin down on the ground to take some photos - the fact that it took me about half an hour to get back up is neither here nor there!! Great shots as always. I haven't been in here for months, but always fantastic to find some of your shots when I do come in :)

Sheryl

sponsored links
Oldjackssparrows
Jeeeez, incredible comments!
13,449 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 27, 2012 07:06 |  #32

Excellent....... Excellent

1DX, 400/f2.8 and other Canon gear
The shadow of a feather is one of the goals

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,629 posts
Gallery: 204 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 27, 2012 21:29 |  #33

bettyn wrote in post #14330312 (external link)
Glad you were able to finally get to Estero, even for a short while. Also prefer to shoot there in the evening, too. The light can be really nice then and give some great color to your shots.

It seems that one time I did see a Reddish Egret at Estero with some white on its body. I thought maybe it was an immature bird, but maybe it was leucistic. Only saw it once, however.

Usually, when we go to Estero, we use water socks or flip flops. You can always go barefoot, but you end up running around in bird poop! Not the greatest feeling! LOL!

You got some great shots on your visit down here. Have really enjoyed looking at them. "Red", though, is always my favorite!

I went with the sandals but the crushed shells were a bit uncomfortable. Still not a problem with all the interesting areas and birds all I could think about was to get shootin'. I meant to ask you if you ever get any nesting Terns, Plovers or others in the taped off areas along the beach. I didn't see any while I was there.

CamFan01 wrote in post #14334998 (external link)
What an interesting series of behavioral captures Steve!
I'm certain I've never seen images of the neck frilling as you've shown here, although I'm certainly aware of the behavior. Your "belly" perspective certainly highlights the height of this Reddish so very well too. Excellent....again!

Thanks very much Steve. The straight on angle reminds me of a cobra. I missed some very good straight on shots by firing a bit late but I was happy to see what I did get. I think I'd fill every card I have with them if they'd stay long enough.

LunarE wrote in post #14336992 (external link)
These are the kind of quality shots I aspire to. ...sigh...., long way to go yet.

Thanks very much.

catsith wrote in post #14337091 (external link)
gee Steve, you are making it hard for me!!! I so want to go to Florida next year, but until my son moves to texas, I would rather go somewhere else until he does. Fabulous images!!

Thanks Tina. I hope to go again next year, it would be awesome to meet up and shoot some with you.

m52 wrote in post #14337192 (external link)
Excellent shots Steve.

Thanks very much Randy.

SacMac wrote in post #14337219 (external link)
Oh, Steve, one of my favourite places in Florida. It was on the beach here that I first got my chin down on the ground to take some photos - the fact that it took me about half an hour to get back up is neither here nor there!! Great shots as always. I haven't been in here for months, but always fantastic to find some of your shots when I do come in :)

Thanks very much Sheryl. I get up slower these days as well but as long as I can I'll keep belly shootin'. Don't be a stranger, missed you around here.

BGgraphy wrote in post #14337487 (external link)
Excellent....... Excellent

Thanks very much Bret.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Diamond ­ Lil
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 27, 2012 22:45 |  #34

The bubbles. The drops, droplets and ripples. The feathers standing on end. The crystal clarity throughout. The compositions. The subject and poses. Steve, as always, all come together oh, so perfectly!

Wow do I have a lot to learn! The Chosen Spot, NY
50D, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM, EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, EF 1.4X III Extender, Flight Brace (external link)

dbriz
POTN MILLIONAIRE
8,984 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 28, 2012 08:49 |  #35

Studio lighting on each and every one Steve... exceptional work and presentation as always.

Dave

7d, 50D, 400mm f/5.6, 300mm f/4, 70-200mm f/4 IS, 50mm f/1.8

kenn3d
Goldmember
2,977 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 28, 2012 14:09 |  #36

yeah wow Steve... ha I always know your posts will make me sigh... But somehow I'm still never prepared when I open them. ;)
Outrageously cool poses, and altogether gorgeous captures.

Simply outstanding ... again.

Kenn

Kenn & Temple
Backyard Birders in St.Louis, MO
Canon S3-IS w/Sony DH1758 1.7x TC (external link) ; S5-IS ; SX-30; SX40; SX50; Fuji S100fs
Favorites (external link)
Blog: Backyard Birding with Kenn & Temple (external link)

chubri777
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 28, 2012 16:21 |  #37

Steve these are fantastic images. The poses are among the best I've seen. Reddish Egrets are one of my favorite birds.

Regards,
Chuck

bettyn
Goldmember
3,439 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 28, 2012 17:25 |  #38

Steve, those are areas set aside for Least Terns, I believe. They'll be nesting there later on in the spring as I recall.

My Gear: 6D, 7D, EOS-M w EF-M 22 f2 STM and EF-M 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, 17-40L f4, 24-70L f2.8, 100 f2.8 non-IS macro, 70-200L f/4 IS, 400L f5.6,, Canon 1.4x II TC, Canon Speedlite 430 EX II, Better Beamer. Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod, 2 monopods, Manfrotto ballhead and pistol grip tripod heads.

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,629 posts
Gallery: 204 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 29, 2012 13:06 |  #39

Diamond Lil wrote in post #14341946 (external link)
The bubbles. The drops, droplets and ripples. The feathers standing on end. The crystal clarity throughout. The compositions. The subject and poses. Steve, as always, all come together oh, so perfectly!

Thank you Lil.

dbriz wrote in post #14343175 (external link)
Studio lighting on each and every one Steve... exceptional work and presentation as always.

Dave

Thank you Dave. Evening at this location is so well lit. I shot these a bit earlier than optimal but I wasn't about to complain, anytime is a good time for the Reddish.

kenn3d wrote in post #14344294 (external link)
yeah wow Steve... ha I always know your posts will make me sigh... But somehow I'm still never prepared when I open them. ;)
Outrageously cool poses, and altogether gorgeous captures.

Simply outstanding ... again.

Kenn

Thanks Kenn, you'e too kind.

chubri777 wrote in post #14344691 (external link)
Steve these are fantastic images. The poses are among the best I've seen. Reddish Egrets are one of my favorite birds.

Thanks Chuck, they're my favorite heron and they always delivers great action.

bettyn wrote in post #14344905 (external link)
Steve, those are areas set aside for Least Terns, I believe. They'll be nesting there later on in the spring as I recall.

We have areas marked here as well for the beach nesters and they start around mid to late april with their mating. Nesting usually begins around the beginning of May. I guess I figured they would be ahead of the timing here, especially given the mild winter. I guess I'll need to come down and stay about six weeks to get the real experience. :D (sign me up)

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,638 views & 0 likes for this thread
Florida 2012 Sampler: Dancing in the Mangroves
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.