Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2012 (Friday) 02:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bells and Whistles...

madjack
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2012 02:27 |  #1

I doubt they ever will, but I'd like to see Canon jettison the video features in their DSLR's and focus on giving customers better features for making still photos. I for one would rather have a better AF system than video in my camera, but then again I'm old and set in my ways.

Just curious to see if anyone else feels the same way.

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

sponsored links
LMP
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 27, 2012 02:33 |  #2

Agreed, more than happy if they produced a non video version alongside the current models. I can see why they have integrated video but we don't all need this feature.

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 27, 2012 06:28 |  #3

If you don't want video then just don't use it. I personally have only ever taken about 30 seconds of video on a 550D that I started with, just to see if it worked. I'm sure as the technology has been developed for video, Canon and the other leading manufacturers aren't going to produce a camera with and a camera without in the same case, and then produce a different set of firmware, features and menu system just to sell very few models to people who don't want video on a camera.

The video technology has been produced to go hand in hand with the still photo technology and the difference in price wouldn't make it viable to produce a different body. And where do you stop, if you get people who don't want to change their ISO would you expect them to make a separate camera without an ISO button, or without a rear screen etc. Like I said. if you don't want it don't use it but if you want a camera without it go buy a film camera.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 27, 2012 06:36 |  #4

I understand the 7D has great video capabilities.
fooled with it like twice

I think it's much like a skylight that opens or not.
You may never open it but you'll be glad it can if you ever wish to.

serious question...what is sacrificed to include video?

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 27, 2012 06:37 |  #5

madjack wrote in post #14336916 (external link)
I doubt they ever will, but I'd like to see Canon jettison the video features in their DSLR's and focus on giving customers better features for making still photos. I for one would rather have a better AF system than video in my camera, but then again I'm old and set in my ways.

For me, video is just as important as stills and it's amazing to have both in one tool, particularly when you need to travel light.

Not that DSLR's are ideal camcorders of course. Plus I don't really think that video is getting "in the way" of photography features anyway - these cameras are still very much stills cameras with some extra video features in software - video hasn't influenced the form of these cameras at all (yet).

You could argue that R&D invested in video features might be R&D taken away from stills features, but then what's camera R&D really going into anyway - sensor design really, which still needs to happen.

Best most people suggest is, if you don't use a particular feature, don't use it. It's not making your camera any more expensive to buy in the marketplace, so you lose nothing. And those that *do* want the feature have access to it.

And there are still classy stills-only cameras being made - but these are *more* expensive because they are more niche compared to the mass consumer marketplace.

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 27, 2012 06:56 |  #6

It looks like people here make wish lists on what they don't want other people to have...:rolleyes:

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2012 06:57 |  #7

If it would lower the cost, then I'm all for removing features. Hell, all I ever use are ISO/aperture/shutter speed. If it's available only in the Menu, I could do without it.

I do admit that I am looking at using the video feature more in the future.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

borism
Goldmember
3,417 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 27, 2012 07:00 |  #8

Video does not affect the production cost of the body dramatically. But it affect sales as its a wanted feature for many. Video is here to stay , the better AF is also here in the 7D, 5D3 and 1Ds, it will slowly move down the lower models in the following models of xxD and xxxD , but Canon will not trump sales of the semipro models at this time.

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,289 posts
Gallery: 444 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 27, 2012 07:03 |  #9

don't you like a bonus feature? i hate to bring two gadgets in a family trip... it's cumbersome.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,157 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 27, 2012 07:25 |  #10

Right on cue, just about one every month for the past 3-4 years now. :)

Let's say the same thing that goes into every other "I wish Canon would stop adding video to my camera because it takes away capability and adds cost"...

1) Video on a DSLR is here to stay
2) Video costs on a DSLR is neglible to say the least, Canon had video figured out a decade ago, and once they added Live View to DSLRs, video was a no brainer
3) Video on a DSLR does NOTHING to your still capabilities
4) If you don't like it, don't use it. In fact on cameras like the 1D4 and 5D2, it is so hidden that it is easy to even forget it has video, unlike the 7D and 5D3... :D

I don't care for video either, but it doesn't bug me one iota that it is on my cameras. In fact, I even find a use for it from time to time, like shooting an ISSMA advanced band competition, and being able to switch to video and do a few snippets of the flute section, then go back to stills for the conductor.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 27, 2012 07:36 |  #11

Personally,

I would love the video feature if it would autofocus on your subject. Without the autofocus feature of a regular camcorder it is just a PITA.

TB

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,157 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 27, 2012 07:37 |  #12

General_T wrote in post #14337594 (external link)
Personally,

I would love the video feature if it would autofocus on your subject. Without the autofocus feature of a regular camcorder it is just a PITA.

TB

I just shut down the aperture to increase DOF, and try to remember which way the focusing ring goes for focus front to back. I have been somewhat successful in keeping focus that way. Those that do this for a living probably have it down to a science. Most video I shoot though is "static action", meaning that I am not tracking movement front to back or side to side very much, just stage action which means focus is somewhat static once set.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 27, 2012 07:51 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14337605 (external link)
I just shut down the aperture to increase DOF, and try to remember which way the focusing ring goes for focus front to back. I have been somewhat successful in keeping focus that way. Those that do this for a living probably have it down to a science. Most video I shoot though is "static action", meaning that I am not tracking movement front to back or side to side very much, just stage action which means focus is somewhat static once set.

Hi TeamSpeed,

I never thought about stopping down as usually my shooting venue is a somewhat dark building. I may give that a try!!

I would only be using the video for my little girls gymnastics, so you can appreciate how it would be tough to keep focus as she does a tumbling run across the floor - heading towards you.

Man, if Canon could get these to focus like a camcorder then I would never have need of a dedicated camcorder ever again!! This would be Nirvana.

TB

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2012 08:33 as a reply to  @ General_T's post |  #14

I would postulate that adding video decreases the cost of cameras considerably, simply because it is a feature that sells more cameras. A stripped down stills only no frills camera would be a small production niche market item, and probably cost a lot more.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

madjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2012 13:35 |  #15

MakisM1 wrote in post #14337454 (external link)
It looks like people here make wish lists on what they don't want other people to have...:rolleyes:

Really? I merely stated what I'd rather have and not have as options in a camera. Never said I wanted to deprive anyone else of anything.

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

sponsored links

3,790 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bells and Whistles...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.