Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 28 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon S100 File Format

Tandyman100
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 28, 2012 14:38 |  #1

Howdy, this is my first post here, and I'm hoping y'all can help me out with a puzzler.

I bought a Canon S100 recently, and saw in all of the spec sheets that it could record in H.264 (which I learned later was .MOV files) as well as MP4. However, when I record a video, no matter what I try it always comes out as a .mov file. Any clues on how I can force this thing to record my 1080p or 720p videos in the MP4 format it can supposedly save in?

sponsored links
lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 28, 2012 19:24 |  #2

H.264 is the codec (encoding method) used by the video stream. ".MOV" is the commonly used file extension for a certain type of container for video. It is sometimes called Quicktime format. So what you have is H.264 encoded video, inside a "Quicktime" (MOV) container.

MPEG-4 (MP4) is another container format, similar to MOV but not the same. I'm curious where you saw Canon saying that the S100 can save videos in an MP4 file.

Tandyman100
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2012 20:45 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #3

http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com/2012/01/21/r​eview-canon-s100/ (external link)

Movies: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, MOV

According to my dad (who's camera this actually is, and on whose behalf I'm asking this on) all of the reviews and spec sheets he saw for the camera said it could shoot these two different formats.

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 30, 2012 20:52 |  #4

im looking at Canon's spec sheet, i do not see mpeg-4. i only see .Mov

http://usa.canon.com …rshot_s100#Spec​ifications (external link)

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 30, 2012 20:55 |  #5

From Canon: Video: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Stereo))

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 30, 2012 21:48 |  #6

I think you are seeing (in that review) a different way of saying the same thing. For more than any of us probably want to know about this, see http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/H.264 (external link)
In brief, H.264 and MPEG-4 AVC (MPEG-4 Part 10) are technically identical standards. maintained by different standards bodies.

Bottom line: S100 and other recent Canon cameras store video in Quicktime MOV format, using H.264 (a/k/a MPEG-4 AVC) encoding. There is no option to use a different format.

Now, if you (or he) are asking: Can device "X", which says it plays "MP4" files", play Canon video clips - that is a harder question, but I would assume the answer is no until someone tries it and finds out.

sponsored links

4,224 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon S100 File Format
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.