Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW Processor: ACR vs. Lightroom

kitjv
230 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 28, 2012 22:39 |  #1

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the strengths & weaknesses of LR vs. PS/PSE. Since a lot of us rely on Adobe Camera Raw, I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the RAW processor in LR compared to ACR.

Thank you.

sponsored links
TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 28, 2012 23:42 |  #2

I believe they both use ACR as their conversion tool. I use LR after using PSE for a while. I really like LR in comparison as the workflow is much easier and seems less resource intensive.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 29, 2012 00:22 |  #3

kitjv wrote in post #14345986 (external link)
There has been a lot of discussion regarding the strengths & weaknesses of LR vs. PS/PSE. Since a lot of us rely on Adobe Camera Raw, I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the RAW processor in LR compared to ACR.

Thank you.

Heh! When you mention "a lot of discussion" have you actually read many discussions? It gets repeated over and over here that LR and ACR share the same processing engine with the same tools, assuming your versions of LR and ACR are "equivalent"! At this point you will need Photoshop CS6 to get the full features that you get in LR4, but once CS6 gets out of Beta, same ol' same ol'!

TTuna Eye wrote in post #14346188 (external link)
I believe they both use ACR as their conversion tool. I use LR after using PSE for a while. I really like LR in comparison as the workflow is much easier and seems less resource intensive.

Although this goes beyond what the OP seems to be asking about, it is still the relevant matter as to why so many people prefer to do their work in Lightroom even if they have Photoshop -- Lightroom was designed to be an efficient workflow manager built around the Camera Raw processor, and for many of us it indeed does that very well!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kitjv
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 29, 2012 07:45 |  #4

Be it as it may .... I was unaware of the fact that ACR & the RAW processor in LR are identical. The reason I ask is that in PSE8 (at least my copy) the full version of ACR is "hidden" in Adobe Bridge. That apparently is not the case in subsequent versions of PSE.

I discovered that the version of ACR (5.7) in PSE8 does not support the Canon 60D -- well, that is unless I convert the CR2 files to DNG. Not a problem; just a hassle.

LR just might be a bit more seamless to work with.

Thank you kindly.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 29, 2012 12:51 |  #5

It depends on your platform. The Mac version of PSE includes Adobe Bridge as its front-end viewer and the full version of ACR. The PC version of PSE differs; it has its own viewer/browser called Organizer and many of the batch-processing functions in ACR are disabled.

kitjv wrote in post #14347266 (external link)
Be it as it may .... I was unaware of the fact that ACR & the RAW processor in LR are identical. The reason I ask is that in PSE8 (at least my copy) the full version of ACR is "hidden" in Adobe Bridge. That apparently is not the case in subsequent versions of PSE.

I discovered that the version of ACR (5.7) in PSE8 does not support the Canon 60D -- well, that is unless I convert the CR2 files to DNG. Not a problem; just a hassle.

LR just might be a bit more seamless to work with.

Thank you kindly.

Gear List

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 29, 2012 13:39 |  #6

That apparently is not the case in subsequent versions of PSE....I discovered that the version of ACR (5.7) in PSE8 does not support the Canon 60D

Have you tried the normal upgrades that you're entitled to?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 29, 2012 14:54 |  #7

Adobe added support for the 60D in ACR 6.2:

http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=4806 (external link)

So, you may want to look at upgrading Elements to PSE 10.

But, as you say, the Elements version of Camera Raw is "stripped down" and so yes, Lightroom would have the full-featured Raw processor. As you say, the alternative of using the full Photoshop is, well a nice but spendy route.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 29, 2012 16:35 |  #8

The raw processing engine is the same, but the interface to it is different. To say I'm not a fan of Lightroom would be a massive understatement.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
RAW Processor: ACR vs. Lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.