Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 28 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 08:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blurb book = disasters ?

AntonioCorreia
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 28, 2012 08:04 |  #1

I can hardly believe how photographers like Jean Paul Caponigro (external link) just to name one among many, sells with success his books through Blurb in such a medium with so poor quality. Perhaps his are made special.

I have just received two books by Blurb which I was wishing to sell on line. I gave up.
Both black and white photography Portraits (external link) and Street Photography - India (external link) and both are complete disasters.
The cover is not B&W, it is bluish. The images inside have different tones, on the right bluish, on the left an acceptable B&W but the next pages are reversed, the left is bluish and the right is correct. Sad.

That depends of course on the viewer, how demanding he is when looking at the book. I do know people who looks at blurred photos and say they are very nice. It is incredible.

Blurb has been investing strongly in publicity and promotions lately. I believed them but I can't be doing so in the near future.
I prefer to get a box (external link) and collect my images one by one/separated with correct printing - what is more expensive obviously - than having books which I am not proud of.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

:-D My Pictures (external link):-D (external link)
* Apressemo-nos a sucumbir à tentação antes que ela se desvaneça
Hurry up and give in to temptation before it fades away
* Dépêchons-nous de succomber à la tentation avant qu'elle ne s'éloigne - Epicuro

sponsored links
Locuus
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 28, 2012 14:44 |  #2

I had a similar experience with them. I ordered a book from Blurb last summer, paid almost $150 and the picture quality was sub-par to say the least.
I got one of the "professional" paper choices and all that, yet the pictures were pixellated and just ...grainy on paper.
They looked almost like newspaper print on high quality paper - nothing like the smooth shiny prints you see in photo books in the store for example. The only way to not see the graininess was to look at them from 3+ feet away.

No idea which company does a good job printing photo books, but from my experience Blurb isn't it.

Amateur enthusiast with Canon 60D; EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 85mm f/1.8 USM; EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II / Yongnuo YN-565EX Flash

AntonioCorreia
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 28, 2012 15:33 |  #3

Locuus wrote in post #14344393 (external link)
I had a similar experience with them. I ordered a book from Blurb last summer, paid almost $150 and the picture quality was sub-par to say the least.
I got one of the "professional" paper choices and all that, yet the pictures were pixellated and just ...grainy on paper.
They looked almost like newspaper print on high quality paper - nothing like the smooth shiny prints you see in photo books in the store for example. The only way to not see the graininess was to look at them from 3+ feet away.

No idea which company does a good job printing photo books, but from my experience Blurb isn't it.

Locuus, I decided not to procede using Blurb as I was making my grand-son's book of the year. I also decided to print the photos on the shop and collect them in a sophisticated box.
Thank you for your reply :)

* Dépêchons-nous de succomber à la tentation avant qu'elle ne s'éloigne - Epicuro

KurtGoss
453 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 28, 2012 15:36 as a reply to  @ Locuus's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I have printed MANY books with Blurb, with great results.

But I think they are NOT a good solution for black and white, because the printer is a CMYK printer. It will print your images in CMYK, and it requires a RGB file. So you are not getting a greyscale printing -- thus the various casts are easy to see with the eye on b&w images.

It's not a good solution for B&W, but it works well for color images. You do need to run a test book on anything that is critical color, there tends to be more dot gain than you think, so images print darker in the midtones than your average photo lab. That is because of the paper, even the pro paper.

The hardbound binding is top notch on the Blurb products.

I think the service has limitations, but when used on the correct product it looks much more like a "store bought coffee book". Other Book services print on real photo paper, which makes the images look better, BUT the paper is real thick, not like a normal printed book. So that drastically limits the page count, since the paper is so thick. So if you have a book with 40 pages, then go with a service that is photo paper. If you want a 200 page book, go with Blurb... but not b&w, only for color.

AntonioCorreia
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 28, 2012 15:42 |  #5

Thank you Kurt :)

I think I am stopping making books. At all.

I want - absolutely - have entire control over my images and this, I get with the lab I am used to work with even spending more or/and printing less images.

:)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,769 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 28, 2012 17:05 |  #6

Its John Paul not Jean Paul.... The son of the great Paul Capinigro. Great guy (JPN) BTW. I met him a few years back. The decision is probably driven by cost? I know he sell portofios that he has printed maybe this is a way that those that aren't big money collectors can afford to have his work.

AntonioCorreia
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 28, 2012 17:53 |  #7

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14344840 (external link)
Its John Paul not Jean Paul.... The son of the great Paul Capinigro. Great guy (JPN) BTW. I met him a few years back. The decision is probably driven by cost? I know he sell portofios that he has printed maybe this is a way that those that aren't big money collectors can afford to have his work.

Maybe. But do you think that the supposed low quality of the books contribute to the image of John Paul ?

I doubt if - I mean if - his books are like the others which are sold to the "common" people.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,769 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 28, 2012 20:08 |  #8

AntonioCorreia wrote in post #14345014 (external link)
Maybe. But do you think that the supposed low quality of the books contribute to the image of John Paul ?

I doubt if - I mean if - his books are like the others which are sold to the "common" people.

Maybe he has more control over the output. I donno :confused: His work is amazing. I can't imagine him settling for anything but a high quality product even if the price was lower than say his prints and his portfolios. Adams had a calendar company printing his images before he died.

AntonioCorreia
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 29, 2012 05:47 |  #9

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14345451 (external link)
Maybe he has more control over the output. I donno :confused: His work is amazing. I can't imagine him settling for anything but a high quality product even if the price was lower than say his prints and his portfolios. Adams had a calendar company printing his images before he died.

Most probably he has control over the output.
I would dare: he does have control over the quality.
How could it be another way ?
How would he guaranty his consistent quality over the same book/works ?
Could he risk his reputation with the same book with different colours for example ?
Perhaps he has a printer in Blurb for himself, who knows ?
Would he make publicity to Blurb without any benefits ?
Would the books be different if I buy in Europe and someone else buys in Canada ?

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 29, 2012 05:52 |  #10

I tried Blurb three times - all color books and the quality was bad for all of them. I ended using Adoramapix and they are much, much better than Blurb.

J ­ Michael
991 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 30, 2012 06:25 |  #11

A compromise between the book and box might be a folio as promoted by Brooks Jensen at Lenswork. I am aware of one source for these who I believe will ship internationally, if any interest.

MidnightUK
160 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 30, 2012 07:00 |  #12

Have you discussed your situation with a professional book binder? I would think it possible to print out your images, take them to a small book binding company or individual and ask them to bind them into an archival quality volume. You would need to speak to them first about possibilities and appropriate media to print on. If they could do this for you, the quality of finish would be high and very personalised in cover colour / lettering etc. It would not work for bulk sales, but for high art or personal gifts etc it would be very nice.

AntonioCorreia
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 30, 2012 09:45 |  #13

Thank you J Michael :)
I will manage something nice and convenient in here. :)
-
The idea MidnightUK is just great.
I'll have to talk to someone I know who could do such personal job.

sponsored links

2,138 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blurb book = disasters ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.