Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 21:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help - 7D focus issues, can't replicate

Kingnog
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 29, 2012 21:12 |  #1

Hi all,

I went out for a photo shoot today with my 7D, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-VC, and my Canon 100mm macro. I took about 30 pictures with each lens. With the same ISO & aperture settings, shutter speed 1/500 or more, and focus point selected on the eyes, every single 100mm picture was "hazy". The 17-50mm was consistently OK.

After I came home I tried to replicate this problem indoors and I couldn't. I checked for focus issues, and there is no back focus/front focus issue using a chart.

It was sunny outside and I was using a flash. The problem occurred when the subject was back-lit, front-lit, side-lit, and in the shade...like I said, every single picture. I never noticed this with my XSi and today was my first time outside with the 7D.

Examples below, 100mm first and then 17-50mm @ 50mm. SOOC, no sharpening. ISO 100, f/4.0, 1/500

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 29, 2012 21:13 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

cheap filter? Focus limiter set at the wrong place?

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Kingnog
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 29, 2012 21:15 |  #3

kin2son wrote in post #14350451 (external link)
cheap filter? Focus limiter set at the wrong place?

Focus limiter is on 0.31-infinity. Both have a multicoated Hoya.

Hitthespot
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 29, 2012 21:31 as a reply to  @ Kingnog's post |  #4

Were you shooting in manual, auto, AV, TV, mode? You said you cannot duplicate the problem? So the lens is working fine now?

I have a 7D also and will need a lot more information, so forgive me if I ask a lot of questions to try and help you figure it out.

Canon 7D, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430EX II,

j1mmyj4m
66 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 29, 2012 21:35 |  #5

Kingnog wrote in post #14350462 (external link)
Focus limiter is on 0.31-infinity. Both have a multicoated Hoya.

I'd try removing the filters (on both) and test again.

Hitthespot
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 29, 2012 21:48 as a reply to  @ j1mmyj4m's post |  #6

I would not think the filter is the problem if he hasn't removed it and can't duplicate the problem.

j1mmyj4m
66 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 29, 2012 22:18 |  #7

Hitthespot wrote in post #14350667 (external link)
I would not think the filter is the problem if he hasn't removed it and can't duplicate the problem.

True, but why not eliminate something simple first? I'd take them off and shoot for a week or two and see if it pops back up. Then put them back on and see if it returns. There are too many variables to give a definite armchair analysis in this situation, imo.

Kingnog
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 29, 2012 22:41 |  #8

I was shooting in single shot manual with flash. I chose the AF point and focused on the eyes. The lighting was similar with both lenses. Here is another "hazy" image @ F/2.8 (even the focus point wasn't in focus). Maybe it has something to do with the bright sunlight? I can't duplicate it indoors but I will try tomorrow with and without the filter.

It looks like a strange glowing effect.

HOSTED PHOTO

xenophobe
116 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 29, 2012 22:54 |  #9

My 100L is tack sharp @ portrait range in all sorts of lighting conditions... it's actually quite a forgiving lens. Try again without the filter?

■ Canon 5D MkII ■ 14LII ■ 35L ■ 85LII ■ 100L ■ 24-105L ■ 70-300L

Hitthespot
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 29, 2012 23:07 as a reply to  @ xenophobe's post |  #10

Your absolutely positive the lens was set to auto focus and not manual focus? I know that's a simple question for an experienced photographer but I can't think of anything that would cause the picture to be out of focus but that. In single shot mode you should be getting a focus lock confirmation and the focus square should blink red. Was you getting that?

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,483 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 29, 2012 23:14 |  #11

Send the camera in and have Canon look at it. I used to get intermittent issues like that when I first got mine and they cleared it right up....and get the UV filters off of there.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

dscri001
487 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 30, 2012 00:43 |  #12

Might sound silly but you said you were in one shot, is it possible you locked focus, fired off a few pictures with out refocusing? I.e. You/subject started moving. This happened to me once. Had the focus 'beep' off and completely forgot to fully take my finger off the shutter and didn't refocus after the slightest movements.

-Tyler I II
EOS 6DII, EF 16-35mm f/4 ISL, EF 35 f/1.4L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,630 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 30, 2012 01:19 |  #13

I probably missed it but are you shooting with the 100L. If yes, then did you at least let the IS spool up about 1/2-second before taking the picture? I know it sound somewhat stupid to have a more expensive but then need to wait for the IS to spool, but sadly, that is the case. If the IS wasn't already activated and stabilizing prior to focus-lock and exposing the shot... sometimes, the camera will go ahead and take the shot (because AF-locked) but the IS is still spooling.

I've seen "blurry" images like this in the past with my 100-400L with picks taken at the airshows. Only other time I've seen the blurriness is when I'm shooting (regardless what what lens I'm using) through the windshield of my car. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 30, 2012 05:10 |  #14

dscri001 wrote in post #14351392 (external link)
Might sound silly but you said you were in one shot, is it possible you locked focus, fired off a few pictures with out refocusing? I.e. You/subject started moving.

This is my guess also. The 100mm image was at f2.8, the 50mm at f4. That's going to mean a substantial difference in the depth of field. So large that the sort of movements you're talking about would show up in the former case, but not in the latter.

If people want to test their gear for problems then you need to minimise any possible interference. That means using a static subject and a static camera - i.e., on a decent tripod.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Kingnog
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 30, 2012 16:59 |  #15

OK - I did some more testing when I got home. It's not the filter or the camera settings. I put the 100mm macro up head-to-head with the 70-300mm IS USM and the 100mm is soft all the way up to f/8, worst at f/2.8.

Here are two shots with the 100mm at f/2.8. Focus was at center point.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

3,108 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help - 7D focus issues, can't replicate
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.