Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 26 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sound not syncing with video

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 26, 2012 15:42 |  #1

i've been plagued w/ videos having the audio out of sync w/ the video and can't figure out a way around it...I read the sticky thread and tried the setting change w/ VLC playback and it worked fine...but how do i then save a file that will have no sync issues?

take a look at this sample vid; skip to ~4 minutes when the drums have kicked in, which will make the issue much easier to see...there's a long lag between the sound of drum hits and the visual of them.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ouRr-R6kCYI (external link)

i used AVS to convert this vid to 720p. i can't recall the format i saved to, whatever the option for 'Youtube' provides.

any ideas? this is occurring on pretty much all of my videos, and i would like to correct it.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

sponsored links
Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 26, 2012 17:08 |  #2

You are not putting the clips through any type of editing program? Just converting them and then posting to Youtube straight from the camera?

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 26, 2012 18:10 |  #3

correct...what sort of editing should i be doing?

gear list

mesakid
364 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 26, 2012 23:28 |  #4

What camera are you filming with. Plus is the the "raw footage" synced properly before you convert. If that's the case check the frame rate your conversion program uses. If you film 24p, make sure the conversion program has 24p and not 30p checked off. Good luck

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A9|A7RIII|A6500|A6400|​A6300|A6000

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 27, 2012 06:04 |  #5

camera = 5D2 or 5D3 and i am pretty sure i am at 30 fps.

i am assuming the footage is synced as i am just using the on-board mic of the camera, not anything external or an alternate source. shouldn't be that much to expect the sound and vision are in sync when i am shooting, should it?

i guess i am unclear why this 'raw' footage needs any additional work from this perspective? it's not like i am looking to do any color-correction, distortion-correction, etc. i am looking for the jpg of video!

gear list

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 28, 2012 08:33 |  #6

Anyone else have any ideas? I can't be the only one with this issue.

gear list

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 28, 2012 10:49 |  #7

maybe the fact that you are converting compressed raw footage and uploading straight to youtube with no edits. part of exporting edited footage is the settings you chose and codecs that are compatible with the intended way to view. youtube kind of suggests specific settings for footage to ensure optimized playback.

if you convert to prores, then edit, then export into a final video file you are more likely to not have this problem. also not many computers playback raw footage very well in a media player and youtube definitely will not play it back the way it was recorded.

http://support.google.​com …ide=1728585&pag​e=guide.cs (external link)

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 28, 2012 12:59 as a reply to  @ Brian_R's post |  #8

Yeah it has to have something to do with the conversion you are doing right from the RAW camera footage. Mac users are converting the footage to ProRes then editing, then exporting from the editing program to a 720p format, Premiere CS5+ users can just put the RAW files through editing then export to 720p for Youtube.

Id try some different 720p conversion settings that will work with Youtube and see which one gives you playback that is in Sync.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

hootmon
101 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 28, 2012 22:24 |  #9

Kento wrote in post #14344052 (external link)
Yeah it has to have something to do with the conversion you are doing right from the RAW camera footage. Mac users are converting the footage to ProRes then editing, then exporting from the editing program to a 720p format, Premiere CS5+ users can just put the RAW files through editing then export to 720p for Youtube.

Id try some different 720p conversion settings that will work with Youtube and see which one gives you playback that is in Sync.

how do you conver the footage

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 30, 2012 07:33 |  #10

not sure if you are asking me or Kento, but i have been converting to mpeg or avi using AVS as a converter.

if someone could share their simple workflow that would be helpful.

gear list

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 30, 2012 09:28 |  #11

The chances that the audio and video are out of sync in the camera is virtually nil. What you are experiencing is most likely related to your computer and it's ability to process all the data you are throwing at it.

What sort of computer are you using?

What is the processor and it's speed rating?

What graphics card does it have?

These are the things that will cause your audio to go out of sync.

Mark
My Gear List

"I don't travel to get to work, travel IS my work!

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 01, 2012 06:20 |  #12

my computer is fine...i'm running 16GB RAM on a i7 processor, SSD boot drive.

has anyone bothered to look at the youtube clip i put up? at that point, my computer's specs has nothing to do with the issue, correct?

gear list

sponsored links

3,554 views & 0 likes for this thread
sound not syncing with video
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.