Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 30 Apr 2012 (Monday) 14:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canadian - Be aware of returning stuff to BH(USA)

joelmarineau
360 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 30, 2012 14:01 |  #1

I am located in Canada and like to buy from BH for the fast shipping and relatively good price.
I bought a 85L from used department and decided to return once I received it as the 30-day return policy offer the chance to return it.
I got refunded but BH did not refunded the sales taxes as they told me they cannot refund the custom charges with is basicly the sales tax (5%).
This was the first and probably the last time i return something to the US. This cost me around 100$, if i knew that before I would have kept it or sell it for the same amount i paid.
Is that fair from BH to refuse refunding me the sales tax as they were canadian one ? Can I ask the custom to refund me those taxes ?

sponsored links
whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2012 14:13 |  #2

Who charged you the 5% tax? BH or customs? Because the way I read what you posted, BH didn't charge you the tax, and therefore they shouldn't have to return it either.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

JDCPA
108 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 30, 2012 14:24 |  #3

Good point. B&H can't return something they did not collect.

I think that needs to be taken up with the taxing authority?

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 30, 2012 14:51 |  #4

If you shipped using Purolator Ground and B&H charged the tax and duty, B&H will refund it to you with the purchase price.

If you shipped using UPS or Canada Post / USPS, you'll have to fill out a B2G "Customs Informal Adjustment Request" form to get your tax refund. We wrote an article with the details here: http://www.photoprice.​ca/article/refund-tax-on-return (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 30, 2012 15:37 |  #5

fill that form out, report back if you get your 5% back.

joelmarineau
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 30, 2012 15:57 |  #6

PhotoPrice wrote in post #14354568 (external link)
If you shipped using Purolator Ground and B&H charged the tax and duty, B&H will refund it to you with the purchase price.

If you shipped using UPS or Canada Post / USPS, you'll have to fill out a B2G "Customs Informal Adjustment Request" form to get your tax refund. We wrote an article with the details here: http://www.photoprice.​ca/article/refund-tax-on-return (external link)

I used Purolator Ground and paid for duty and tax directly by B&H but the are still saying that custom charges are not refundable ?

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 30, 2012 17:00 |  #7

joelmarineau wrote in post #14355116 (external link)
I used Purolator Ground and paid for duty and tax directly by B&H but the are still saying that custom charges are not refundable ?

I'm a bit surprised and that's something that you can probably ask B&H about. (Maybe Henry Posner can chime in here.)

It may be that they've already remitted the tax & duty to the CBSA. In that case you can file a B2G form and ask the CBSA for a refund. All you need is the CBSA import receipt number (which Purolator or B&H should have), with proof of your return.

I've personally done the adjustment process several times. All it costs is a stamp, and you get a cheque from the CBSA in about 6-8 weeks.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 30, 2012 17:27 |  #8

PhotoPrice wrote in post #14355529 (external link)
I'm a bit surprised and that's something that you can probably ask B&H about. (Maybe Henry Posner can chime in here.)

It may be that they've already remitted the tax & duty to the CBSA. In that case you can file a B2G form and ask the CBSA for a refund. All you need is the CBSA import receipt number (which Purolator or B&H should have), with proof of your return.

I've personally done the adjustment process several times. All it costs is a stamp, and you get a cheque from the CBSA in about 6-8 weeks.

My wife has done the same with purchases from the US many times.

BTW, are you Gordon from PhotoPrice.ca?

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 30, 2012 22:46 |  #9

frugivore wrote in post #14355677 (external link)
My wife has done the same with purchases from the US many times.

BTW, are you Gordon from PhotoPrice.ca?

Yes, that would be me. :)

joelmarineau
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 01, 2012 07:13 |  #10

Thanks Gordon, I have asked BH to give me the CBSA import receipt number, waiting from them...

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 01, 2012 07:22 |  #11

Cheap price to rent an 85L for a month.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

joelmarineau
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 03, 2012 06:51 |  #12

Finally, BH refunded me the taxes...:)

sponsored links

2,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canadian - Be aware of returning stuff to BH(USA)
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.