Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Apr 2012 (Friday) 01:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Other photographers "bashing" eachothers gear!

irwaffles
161 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 27, 2012 23:10 |  #46

I just started doing some paid graduation portrait work... using a t2i. One of my clients emailed me before a session and said that he had a D700 and he knew a lot about photography and he was just using my service because he didn't have any studio backdrops or lights :(

I didn't want him to walk out on the shoot (money is money) so I borrowed my neighbors 7D for the day. Luckily when we met we just started talking about Lightroom and editing the whole time so we didn't even bring up equipment. Felt like I dodged a bullet, hell maybe he wouldn't have even noticed my t2i since he shoots Nikon and all...

I think in your situation I would've kept my cool. If you're doing paid work, chances are it's because they have seen your past work.

flickr (external link)
5d mark 2 - Canon 24-70 2.8

sponsored links
ejenner
Goldmember
3,860 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 28, 2012 16:13 |  #47

shawncorson wrote in post #14336852 (external link)
don't you know you need something heavier and nicer than that to get good shots?

I know I didn't hear the tone, but this sounds like tongue-in-cheek to me. 'Heavier'?

Even if it was said in a nasty way, I'd probably just have sad something like 'yea, I should put some rocks in it'.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 30, 2012 00:26 |  #48

bikeboynate wrote in post #14336939 (external link)
See, that's the thing! the general American public doesn't give a rat's arse about Sputnik or Yuri Gagarin! What's been taught to us is that we won the space race because we got to the moon first!

To Russians they know that they were the winners of getting someone into space but not too many Americans care about that. :lol:

That always amused me. We were able to make smaller nukes with the same power so we didn't need the heavy-lift capacity to effectively launch an attack. We could get by on smaller rockets. But the Russians as a PR stunt decided they wanted to orbit something which would make people fear their ability to put weapons in space hanging over our heads. They were more prepared to do it since they had to have larger rockets to launch their heavier warheads but they weren't prepared to actually put anything up worth fearing. But the stunt worked, Americans were scared, and we had to start designing bigger rockets. The race was on. From sputnik to Laika to Gragarin they had us because they all required those larger rockets which he never saw a need for. So we appeared to be behind them when really we just saw no use for launching such large payloads. Finally after appearing to get our rears whipped we decided to do something we knew they couldn't - go to the moon. This required them to build a while new rocket system - the N1 - but they started about 4 years after we started on the Saturn V. So we got to the moon first and then found it wasn't worth going to. So everyone else stayed home.
I don't think we "won" anything. Instead it pushed us to go to the moon prematurely and the expectation was much greater than what it turned out to be. The result was a major setback in US space programs that we never fully recovered from.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 30, 2012 00:34 |  #49

kfreels wrote in post #14351334 (external link)
That always amused me. We were able to make smaller nukes with the same power so we didn't need the heavy-lift capacity to effectively launch an attack. We could get by on smaller rockets. But the Russians as a PR stunt decided they wanted to orbit something which would make people fear their ability to put weapons in space hanging over our heads. They were more prepared to do it since they had to have larger rockets to launch their heavier warheads but they weren't prepared to actually put anything up worth fearing. But the stunt worked, Americans were scared, and we had to start designing bigger rockets. The race was on. From sputnik to Laika to Gragarin they had us because they all required those larger rockets which he never saw a need for. So we appeared to be behind them when really we just saw no use for launching such large payloads. Finally after appearing to get our rears whipped we decided to do something we knew they couldn't - go to the moon. This required them to build a while new rocket system - the N1 - but they started about 4 years after we started on the Saturn V. So we got to the moon first and then found it wasn't worth going to. So everyone else stayed home.
I don't think we "won" anything. Instead it pushed us to go to the moon prematurely and the expectation was much greater than what it turned out to be. The result was a major setback in US space programs that we never fully recovered from.

I.E. Not having reliable and reusable launch vehicles yet right?

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 30, 2012 06:06 |  #50

kfreels wrote in post #14351334 (external link)

Which is why nowadays if one wants a satellite launched, one goes to the Russians or the Chinese, not NASA to do the job…

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Seek
33 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 30, 2012 06:53 |  #51

Wow! what a piece of work that guy is!?! I'll tell you what, I did some paid gigs with my old T1i!! I finally upgraded to a 5d mark iii but truly I find it easier to get nicer pictures with the mark iii. With the T1i I got some amazing shots but it doesnt have the AF or the same DOF and coloring and so you really have to have good skills and technique to pull it off. Shooting with the mark iii is easier to me. Having bought the mark iii doesnt make me a better photographer - I just have more features on my camera. Dont mind that guy - there are always people in the world that is just full of negativity and self righteousness

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 01, 2012 03:00 |  #52

To quote myself from a similar conversation earlier this week "Show me results, not methods. I don't care if you shoot with a pinhole camera carved out of a potato"

I wouldn't typically pay it any mind, but to do so in front of a client (even assuming they possibly never heard it) shows that the person doesn't have the professionalism to go with his shiny expensive toy.

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

May 01, 2012 05:01 |  #53

I though that is another Nikon Vs Canon thread, which should be lots more fun ;)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 01, 2012 06:53 |  #54

[QUOTE=shawncorson;143​36852]

Funny part about this (to me) is I had a t2i with a 70-200 hanging off the end of mine while he had his plastic 50 1.8 hanging off of his

I was all with you untill this part....

So, you spend the whole thread crying because someone made a comment that something of his was better than yours?

Now your saying it was funny (To you) because you had a more costly lens, made of metal when his lens is a plastic lens???

ARE YOU F****G KIDDING ME?

Sorry sir, but you're already him!

Oh...Hello :)

shawncorson
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 01, 2012 09:57 |  #55

[QUOTE=Cosha;14359008]

shawncorson wrote in post #14336852 (external link)
Funny part about this (to me) is I had a t2i with a 70-200 hanging off the end of mine while he had his plastic 50 1.8 hanging off of his

I was all with you untill this part....

So, you spend the whole thread crying because someone made a comment that something of his was better than yours?

Now your saying it was funny (To you) because you had a more costly lens, made of metal when his lens is a plastic lens???

ARE YOU F****G KIDDING ME?

Sorry sir, but you're already him!

It was said to make a point. He bragged because his camera was so much more expensive than mine yet he had a 100 dollar lens hanging off the front of his yet mine was visa versa so it was pointed out as irony not in the same light as him. ;)

Equipment: 5D MKii / 50mm 1.8 / 70-200mm F4L / 100mm 2.8 / 430ex II (x2)
http://facebook.com/re​galrebelphoto (external link) | http://regalrebelphoto​.com (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 02, 2012 08:28 |  #56

Channel One wrote in post #14352019 (external link)
Which is why nowadays if one wants a satellite launched, one goes to the Russians or the Chinese, not NASA to do the job…

Wayne

Wow. It's exciting to learn that there are some armchair astronauts here! Of course, it makes sense that there would be. Rather than hijack the OP's thread further I'll start a space discussion thread in the general area. I'm curious how many of us there are!

The armchair astronaut's thread is here: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1180614

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

7,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
Other photographers "bashing" eachothers gear!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.