Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 17:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Classic Lovers !!!

kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 01, 2012 04:34 |  #6991

kay188 wrote in post #14214194 (external link)
Battery Modification Try #2. SUCCESS!!! The first LSD Eneloop NP-E3 battery pack!!!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

An update to the battery life of this pack.

If I had to estimate, I would say I could probably get over 1000 shots with this pack if the camera was used constantly.
Being Eneloop LSD, the charge is held very well obviously.

I shoot around 100 photos a night. I shoot 2 nights a week.
I probably got about 500 shots with 1/2 the time the camera being idle, and the other 1/4 in sleep mode, and 1/4 taking photos.
The LCD is on (low brightness) for about 4-5 seconds for review about 3/4 of every night.
Review because people want to see their photo afterwards.

I use it for the club and most of the time the camera is in the air idling. I take a shot between every minute so the camera barely has a time to go into sleep mode.
This should give you a rough idea of how the LSD pack lasts given my baseline of testing.

----------
I also bought a 2000mah regular NIMH battery pack from ebay for $25. This pack says to use "genuine Sanyo cells".
Since the pack is regular NIMH, it does not hold a charge as well as the Eneloop LSD pack obviously.

I would say I can probably hit 1000 shots with the ebay pack too if the camera was used constantly. I get around 400 photos at the club before the ebay pack dies.

Again, my baseline for testing is 100 photos a night. I shoot 2 nights a week.
1/2 the time the camera being idle, and the other 1/4 in sleep mode, and 1/4 taking photos.
The LCD is on (low brightness) for about 4-5 seconds for review about 3/4 of every night. I shoot 2 nights a week.

I'm thinking of making a 2700mah pack just in case I need the camera to last an entire day.
I know a 2700mah battery pack will last a whole day if not more.
I will probably mod the ebay 2000mah pack when I'm starting to notice the battery decrease in performance.

---------
I know I can get even MORE power from my battery packs if I can charge the whole pack at a 200mah current.
The lower the current, the more fuller charge the cells will gain. Too bad the Canon NP-E3 charger charges at 850mah and there's no aftermarket charger that charges even slower.
I wonder how good the refresh function is. All I know is that it discharges to a certain voltage, and that voltage to the charger is "completely discharged".
The lower the discharge, the more reconditioning the batteries will get.

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

sponsored links
Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 01, 2012 09:13 |  #6992

How many pins does the charger actually use? Couldn't you possibly buy some kind of aftermarket trickle charger for AAs and just run leads from the terminals? It would be far from elegant, but it might be cheap enough to test your theory.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

hemmings
443 posts
Joined May 2009

May 01, 2012 12:11 |  #6993

THE Phreak wrote in post #14358022 (external link)
Beautiful shot!

Thanks Phreak!;)

goonico
199 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 01, 2012 14:47 |  #6994

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hM1O9lf85SM/T6A8thHY54I/AAAAAAAAFdA/rX3u-FjC5DE/s800/DPP07DC05010C2C43.jpg

Flickr (external link)
mY bLoG (external link)

kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 04, 2012 21:32 |  #6995

Virto wrote in post #14359650 (external link)
How many pins does the charger actually use? Couldn't you possibly buy some kind of aftermarket trickle charger for AAs and just run leads from the terminals? It would be far from elegant, but it might be cheap enough to test your theory.

I need to use a smart charger because it detects the delta v and all that good stuff while charging, and when to terminate charging.

My theory is not exactly a theory.
The pack is a NiMH pack but at 12v so it's no different than a regular 1 AA NiMH battery.

The attributes of 1 AA NiMH battery applies to this pack.
I just need a smart charger that allows me to discharge, and have various charge amperage.

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

barronchung
200 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 05, 2012 21:10 |  #6996

So I've been stalking this thread for a while, as well as watching the price of 1Dc's drop. I know it's older tech but I've had no problems producing decent results with a D30 (yes that's right, the 3.2mp one; hint: it took the photo below!) that I picked up a while ago for the heck of it, so when I saw one go up for sale on craigslist for dirt cheap (no battery/charger, but has the AC adapter) I decided to bite the bullet. She has 88k on the shutter, I guess that's getting up there, but everything seemed to be working fine when I tried it out and it is in very good condition for its age so I want to believe it's been taken care of.

Here's a quick shot of my beauty (oops, I guess the plexiglass floor protector I have in my den is not the best surface lol):

IMAGE: http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/4306/crw0388.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://imageshack.us …y-images/818/crw0388.jpg​/  (external link)

I actually know kay188 who posted here about the eneloop battery mod, and seeing him play with one also made my want one too! Hahaha. Now, I'm just deciding if I should keep it and invest in a Lenmar and a microcontrolled nimh charger (Canon NC-E2 would be too expensive), or just give it up to kay188 who also has his eyes on it and the AC adapter :P

Some bodies, some lenses, and that's all I'll list in case the wife sees this. ;)

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 06, 2012 04:54 |  #6997

Welcome Barronchung ,hope you enjoy using your 1D as much as I do.
Here in NZ it is aproaching winter but the weather remains fine and warm with beautiful sunny days with blue sky.We decided to go have a look at Lake Rotorua today and I ran off a reel of film with my old autocord and will compare the photos with the ones I took with the 1D and 24-70L with a PLD filter attached ,will be interesting.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

Steveod
766 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 06, 2012 04:59 |  #6998

goonico wrote in post #14361588 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Beautiful photo Goonico

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

Steveod
766 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 06, 2012 05:07 |  #6999

Here's two more from our day trip

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

barronchung
200 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 07, 2012 12:54 |  #7000

So far I'm liking the 1D. The high ISOs are not as bad as some would have you believe--the grain has a certain character to it. ISO 1600 converted to B&W looks kindof artsy/moody, and somehow it doesn't seem as bad as I've seen in other cameras. Operating speed is pretty good, AF indoors works much better with an AF assist light, but then what camera doesn't? I'm also really liking the small files and how fast I can cycle through photos in Lightroom. Importing into Lightroom is almost instantaneous too, I've only taken 60 photos in the last couple days, but when I hit import, I barely noticed anything happen and it had already finished! The convoluted button pressing and no zooming is kind of annoying though, and not sure how I would like carrying it all day due to the weight.. I must admit though that the shutter sound is quite pleasing! lol

Some bodies, some lenses, and that's all I'll list in case the wife sees this. ;)

THE ­ Phreak
244 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 07, 2012 22:49 |  #7001

Yeah, not being able to zoom in is killing me, but I love the thing.

1D classic | 50mm 1.8 | 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 270ex flash

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 08, 2012 09:47 as a reply to  @ THE Phreak's post |  #7002

zooming in? are the two of you talking about that live view focus check stuff? or cropping?

And I don't understand the convoluted button pressing statement either... I never have to dig in a menu for anything and the body isn't overcrowded with so many buttons that I'll never remember the location of.

Just give it time; it will either help you realize/remember the beauty of photography before it got too lost in technology, or drive you back to the tech-ridden brand new models of today. Honestly this one has everything you need unless you're shooting for a billboard ad.

Photography on my budget? WHAT WAS I THINKIN?!:confused:

barronchung
200 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 08, 2012 10:22 |  #7003

minitrucker wrote in post #14398544 (external link)
zooming in? are the two of you talking about that live view focus check stuff? or cropping?

And I don't understand the convoluted button pressing statement either... I never have to dig in a menu for anything and the body isn't overcrowded with so many buttons that I'll never remember the location of.

Just give it time; it will either help you realize/remember the beauty of photography before it got too lost in technology, or drive you back to the tech-ridden brand new models of today. Honestly this one has everything you need unless you're shooting for a billboard ad.

I'm talking about zooming in after taking a photo to check if focus is correct (it probably is with this body's AF), whether your hand shaked (more likely), and whether someone's eye is partially closed or if it only looks like that because of the screen resolution.

As for the button pressing, what I mean is having to hold down two buttons to change some settings. Also when you go into the menus you can't just scroll the wheel to move down to another setting, you have to hold "Select" to scroll down, release, then hold "Select" to change that particular setting. I suppose having to press "Select" to change something prevents accidentally changing a setting, but they didn't have to lock out scrolling through the menus without pressing "Select"...

Anyways, it's a change from the xxd and xxxd series, that's all. I suppose it takes time to get used to, but something like scrolling through the menus doesn't really need to be locked out does it?

Steveod
766 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 08, 2012 19:55 |  #7004

Hi Barronchung after 3+ years using my 1D zooming in does not worry me as you said it hits target 90% of the time with its AF
Try our 100-f2 on your 1D ,if its like mine it is very sharp

bob ­ reed
43 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 08, 2012 21:18 as a reply to  @ Steveod's post |  #7005

Yes one of the things I have learned with the 1D is I need the picture in the viewfinder that I want. Makes you think about the shot before you take it.

sponsored links

1,211,383 views & 33 likes for this thread
-=1D Classic Lovers !!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.