Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 01 May 2012 (Tuesday) 23:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

May Day Moon Shot

heldGaze
539 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by heldGaze. (2 edits in all)

May 01, 2012 23:08 |  #1

This is my first time shooting the moon with prime focus. My T-mount is also a 2x barlow lens, which with my telescope makes the moon too big to capture in a single exposure. So I took several shots and then did photomerge in PS to stitch them together.

My favorite part is the crater on the terminator, the rim, and a mountain in the center, are high enough to catch light despite the rest being in shadow. C&C always welcomed!

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/potn/Moons/May%20Day%20Moon%20Shot.1024.png

Happy Labour Day!

Note: in order to add this to my gallery I had to pick a lens, but no lens was used, I used my T-mount 2x barlow to connect my camera as a prime focus to my telescope a Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5.

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
C&C Always Appreciated

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 01, 2012 23:13 |  #2

that's awesome!

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 01, 2012 23:15 |  #3

Fantastic job especially with the Photomerge ! Do you have a link to the original size after photomerge anywhere online ? Bet it looks great !

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 01, 2012 23:34 |  #4

Thanks guys. I haven't uploaded a full size yet, but I will and will post a link. It's noisy, I stupidly shot at 800 ISO. I also have now noticed an error in the photomerge along the edge of the moon at about 2 o'clock. It's the first time I've ever used photomerge as well, I had to google for the feature :D

C&C Always Appreciated

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 01, 2012 23:42 |  #5

I'm looking through my exposures and I realize now that I have shots I took earlier in the evening that *are* at a lower ISO. I need to go browse them and see if I was smart enough to capture all parts of the moon. I see some at 100 ISO, but I don't think I got all of the moon, others are at 400.

C&C Always Appreciated

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2012 23:47 |  #6

That's high-quality moonage there! Well Done!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 02, 2012 00:45 |  #7

Thanks Flying.

Well, I was really unhappy with the disjointed stitching in the original I posted. So I went back and restitched it. Unfortunately I didn't save my Shadows/Highlights adjustments so I had to redo it by eye. Thus this image looks a bit different but the stitch job is better.

Not sure if the tonal quality is an improvement or degredation.

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/potn/Moons/May%20Day%20Moon%20Shot2.1024.png

C&C Always Appreciated

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 02, 2012 02:49 |  #8

Desaturate it in PS and you'll have all needed tonal quality.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 02, 2012 08:38 |  #9

heldGaze wrote in post #14364692 (external link)
Thanks Flying.

Well, I was really unhappy with the disjointed stitching in the original I posted. So I went back and restitched it. Unfortunately I didn't save my Shadows/Highlights adjustments so I had to redo it by eye. Thus this image looks a bit different but the stitch job is better.

Not sure if the tonal quality is an improvement or degredation.

QUOTED IMAGE

I think it's just fine . Colors are right on for the moon so don't mess with desaturation . Looks great !

BigRedNole
118 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 02, 2012 11:28 |  #10

Great photo. I am not sure of everything you did to capture it, but it is amazing. I can't wait until I learn enough to try this.

Canon 7D; Ʃ 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM; Ʃ 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HSM OS; Canon 50mm f/1.4 IS; Metz Mecablitz 48

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 02, 2012 13:12 |  #11

Thanks for the tips samsen and Celestron, you guys addressed both my questions really. One was does it look okay with more color, and how can I modify it if I want to. It looks like a desaturation of about -15 would make it look like the original.

I also started playing around last night with getting rid of the noisy "glow" off the edge of the moon. I did a magic wand selection and then played with the "refine edge" and finally just bucket painted black. It reduces the noise and the glow is noticeably gone, however I am also changing the terminator then, which I don't like.

BigRedNole, I set up my telescope and pointed it at the moon. I removed the eyepiece and in its place I attached my camera using a special mount that also magnifies the image by a factor of 2. I turned on Live View on my camera and used the LCD image to focus by turning the focusing knobs on the telescope. I set it up to do a 10s timer as the image seemed to stabilize around 5 seconds of not touching it. Since the moon didn't fit in the entire frame, I took several exposures as the moon moved through the FOV, then adjusted my telescope down perpendicular to the motion of the moon and repeated the taking several exposures. I found a set of 7 exposures I was certain contained the entire moon (through experimentation last night I also discovered that I could use a minimum of 3 exposures if I wanted) and then opened them in Photoshop using the Photomerge automation tool. The first time I did it with just "reposition only" but it gave me that jump in the edge of the moon. The second stitching I set it to Auto and it did better. Then I made a small adjustment in levels, some major work in Shadows/Highlights, and sharpening using USM. There was perhaps a final touch up of brightness/contrast, not sure if that applied to this image or not. I flattened the layers and pulled out the bucket paint tool and filled the white areas with black. For the second image I also extended the canvas to the left and filled it with bucket paint so my crop could be a proper square instead of an almost square. Crop, resize, post.

Now I gotta clean up my workspace and post a fullsize :D The only thing I really want to do is get rid of that noisy glow on the right side of the moon. We had some clouds moving in so not sure if that enhanced the noise there.

C&C Always Appreciated

BigRedNole
118 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 02, 2012 13:53 as a reply to  @ heldGaze's post |  #12

heldGaze: Thanks for sharing what you did. i am new to this and thinking of getting a telescope by the end of the year. Want to educate myself so I don't waste money.

Canon 7D; Ʃ 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM; Ʃ 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HSM OS; Canon 50mm f/1.4 IS; Metz Mecablitz 48

IanW
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2005

May 02, 2012 14:29 |  #13

Err, wow!

Canon 5DIII | BG-E11 | Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art | 24-105mm f4L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II | x1.4 & x2 III | 430EX
Yongnuo YN-622C | Kenko Tubes | LEE Filters | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3+498RC2, 694CX

flickr (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 02, 2012 16:18 |  #14

heldGaze wrote in post #14367364 (external link)
The only thing I really want to do is get rid of that noisy glow on the right side of the moon.

Remember that glow on the right side is normal , when the sun goes down that side is still facing the sunlight and that is the reason you see it like you do so i wouldn't mess with it much cause you'll end up messing it up ! I think it was mentioned earlier about a full moon doesn't have much detail and thats right but it also depends what setting you use when you take the image . for example this image i took of a 99% full moon . It still has some detail without being over bright :

http://home.grandecom.​net …10-23-2010_ronlhodges.jpg (external link)

and then here is one that was at 99% that i wanted it to be bright to show natural brightness :

http://home.grandecom.​net …dges/IMG_6134%2​0copy4.jpg (external link)

I don't want to hijack your thread is the reason i give links only .

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 02, 2012 16:30 |  #15

I meant the glow that is not part of the moon, but in the air, not the lack of shadow on the moon's surface. I've now got a full size uploaded and if you zoom in you can see the noise, just a bunch of white dots in the black space off of the moon.

Warning, click here for 19 MB file (external link).

I can do a magic wand selection, play with the edge and do a bucket file which gets rid of a lot of that noise, with changing the actual moon on the right side. But it is changing the moon on the left side, making it's terminator look different.

C&C Always Appreciated

sponsored links

6,513 views & 0 likes for this thread
May Day Moon Shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.