Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced

happy ­ hopping
261 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 02, 2012 03:00 |  #4036

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14257326 (external link)
I believe the D4 and D800 will do uncompressed video out via HDMI.

what feature does the Mark X has that the D800 does NOT? I like the prime lens of Canon, but this D800 seems to surpass all features of the Mark X. Name a few thing that the Mark X is better than the D800 please

http://gizmodo.com …tacks-up-to-other-cameras (external link)

click the Expand button to zoom in:

And here's a $1 million question:

why would any1 buy the Nkon D4 for $6K where the D800 has better features than the D4? I notice the fps is 9 vs. 4, but for those who don't need 9 fps, after all, 4 fps is quite good enough for a lot of us.

Likewise, I don't understand why any1 would buy the Mark X, where the 5d Mark III has pretty much all the features that the Mark X have? Again, it's solely the fps of 14 vs. 6. I can live w/ that for the extra $3K.

sponsored links
bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 02, 2012 03:24 |  #4037

Happy

Doesn't the 1Dx have better weather sealing? Also has the built in grip and although the 5DIII has good focus and is based on the 1Dx I bet the 1Dx's is better.

I am sure others will be along to point out other differences which will count for some.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 02, 2012 03:37 |  #4038

They're utterly apples and oranges...

The 1DX is a speed and action body and the D800 is not.

If you don't need the blazing fast speed of a 1DX, then it's not the tool for the job. Simple...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 02, 2012 05:14 |  #4039

Mark II wrote in post #14364868 (external link)
The thickness throws one hell of a shadow! :(

That's what she said.

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

happy ­ hopping
261 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 02, 2012 09:02 |  #4040

some1 just told me the D800 doesn't do 1920 x 1080, so I don't know if that's true or not

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 02, 2012 10:55 |  #4041

happy hopping wrote in post #14364979 (external link)
what feature does the Mark X has that the D800 does NOT? I like the prime lens of Canon, but this D800 seems to surpass all features of the Mark X. Name a few thing that the Mark X is better than the D800 please

http://gizmodo.com …tacks-up-to-other-cameras (external link)

click the Expand button to zoom in:

And here's a $1 million question:

why would any1 buy the Nkon D4 for $6K where the D800 has better features than the D4? I notice the fps is 9 vs. 4, but for those who don't need 9 fps, after all, 4 fps is quite good enough for a lot of us.

Likewise, I don't understand why any1 would buy the Mark X, where the 5d Mark III has pretty much all the features that the Mark X have? Again, it's solely the fps of 14 vs. 6. I can live w/ that for the extra $3K.

You answered it yourself--D4 and 1DX both have continuous framerates much higher than the D800. If you're shooting sports the D800 isn't the best choice. You don't have to identify with the need for a feature to understand why other people might want to pay for it. I don't need 14fps either but I can see how some people would.

I'm sure there are other differences as well, but higher framerate is a pretty easy one to spot. I also prefer Canon's cross-type AF point spread better than Nikon's, and I'm sure a lot of Nikon shooters would love to have cross-type AF points that aren't clustered in the middle a la cameras circa 2004.

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 02, 2012 12:40 |  #4042

Mark II wrote in post #14364868 (external link)
The thickness throws one hell of a shadow! :(

Yep, but it's the pocket version... ½ inch thick :cool:

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14365251 (external link)
That's what she said.

:lol::lol:

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2012 14:02 |  #4043

Does anyone know what is delaying the release of this camera?

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

May 02, 2012 14:38 |  #4044

rick_reno wrote in post #14367657 (external link)

I hear that they're waiting for the Olympics... in 2016:p

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 02, 2012 14:47 |  #4045

Todd Lambert wrote in post #14367827 (external link)
I hear that they're waiting for the Olympics... in 2016:p

Oh, SNAP!

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

HarrisonClicks
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 02, 2012 16:40 |  #4046

rick_reno wrote in post #14367657 (external link)

I'm not sure but I have learned my lesson. I pre-ordered the 1DXLVII just to be on the safe side.

Adam
Gear List Temporarily Removed

xenophobe
116 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 02, 2012 16:49 |  #4047

The 1DX interests me for several reasons... it's full frame but has that massive frame rate and I really like the fact that they decided to lower the resolution with a new sensor, faster shooting, faster processing in post and less hard drive space wasted... and it's a 1 series, so no need to buy a grip.

I could see myself buying one of these instead of the 5D3, which I decided against for a 5D2. :P

■ Canon 5D MkII ■ 14LII ■ 35L ■ 85LII ■ 100L ■ 24-105L ■ 70-300L

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

May 02, 2012 18:48 |  #4048

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14365047 (external link)
They're utterly apples and oranges...

The 1DX is a speed and action body and the D800 is not.

If you don't need the blazing fast speed of a 1DX, then it's not the tool for the job. Simple...

Dunno about that. I was invited to a CPS nature photography workshop with Martin Eisenhawer on Monday at a wildlife reserve. The CPS guys brought stacks of the newest lenses, a batch of 5D3s and not sure how many 1DXs.

I played with the 1DX with a 400L 2.8 II mounted for about an hour, though while talking with Martin and others at the same time. I can't say I really got to know the 1DX much in that time, it's a bit like suddenly finding yourself piloting the Mother Ship, but I did get a good idea how it is for wildlife.

I didn't really do much with the settings, just used it as set up by CPS for the context - birds in and around a marsh grass pond. The 1DX is very easy and beautiful to work with, so natural that it is only after a while that you realize how much it is doing for you without a hint of a struggle. I won't even talk about the continuous FPS, it's just insane. I had to reduce the FPS, then go to one shot to find my sanity again. While I can see the FPS for a lot of things, it wasn't what I wanted in this context.

I was mainly concentrated on shooting a Kingfisher, one of the most difficult birds to capture, as it flitted from perch to perch through the grasses and diving in the water. It was the AI servo color/face tracking that confounded me, never lost the bird, no matter where it flew through the grasses or dived, as long as I kept in the viewfinder, and it seemed like it found it again even after I had lost it from the viewfinder. Mesmerizing.

I can bear witness that that thing is about the most amazing body I have ever handled, but I won't go into anything else about it as you can read it all on CPN or wherever. If you get the opportunity to try it, do it. Here are a few of my shots. It was an overcast day, so the light wasn't that great, but I had the feeling that with a lesser rig I wouldn't have even gotten these.

IMAGE: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/33/655533.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/39/655539.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/53/655353.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/32/655532.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/31/655331.jpg

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 02, 2012 20:42 |  #4049

Great review, John. Makes me that much more anxious for mine.

They let you take your captures with you. Please tell me that you took home RAW files too?!?! :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

May 03, 2012 01:58 |  #4050

They let me take whatever I wanted with me on my card and change any setting I wished. We had absolutely free hand with the gear, other than "adopting" it and taking it home. :D

Frankly, I was interested more in other things than the 1DX, trading experience, thoughts and approaches to wildlife photography with Martin and others there, checking out the lenses, etc., such that I didn't think to even check whether I was shooting jpeg or raw, so as it were, sorry, jpeg. Had I been specifically interested in acquiring the 1DX as my next body, I certainly would have shot raw and kept it like a dog in a manger until I had played with every trick it had, but sorry, that was not a priority. As it is, I will be getting my 5D3 this week, and unless some other spontaneous opportunity arises, won't be looking at the 1DX before I have exhaustively explored the 5D3.

That all said, I can't possibly image you would be disappointed by the 1DX if you have speced it out in line with your needs and desires.

You will find more shots by Luigi who was sitting next to me on his website here:

http://www.rotondaro.c​om/x2/#/content/Eos%20​1Dx/ (external link)

Martin Eisenhawer's site:

http://www.eisenhawer-naturephotography.com/​en/index.htm (external link)

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

sponsored links

536,188 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.