Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Motorcyclists traveling with gear question

2cruise
Goldmember
4,017 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 28, 2012 07:33 as a reply to  @ post 14342364 |  #31

In a padded bag stored in the trunk. This thing rides better than my car.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5181/5731882309_eb5044fef0_b.jpg

5D Mark IV~70-300mm f4L IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~Canon 85mm 1.8~Rokinon 14mm~2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
erda
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2012 17:31 as a reply to  @ 2cruise's post |  #32

I've read on some motorcycle forums, where a few people have had their camera or lens fail and are attributing it to vibrations. I would have thought that if the gear was protected with some padding, such as a Lowe Pro camera case, that it should be fine.
Thoughts?

30D; 17-40 f4L; 70-200 f4L; 100 f2.8L macro IS; Tokina 11-16 f2.8; 430EX
G1-X
Olympus TG-1

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,407 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 28, 2012 18:37 |  #33

erda wrote in post #14344931 (external link)
I've read on some motorcycle forums, where a few people have had their camera or lens fail and are attributing it to vibrations. I would have thought that if the gear was protected with some padding, such as a Lowe Pro camera case, that it should be fine.
Thoughts?

Had my Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS L in a nice padded camera case, the case itself was surround with foam inside the trunk of the bike.

Premature lens failure. Internal focusing mechanism came loose.

That lens was babied and the only questionable use was transporting it in the trunk on the back of a V-Twin cruiser.

Could be the lens was a weak copy, could be the vibration caused the failure.

I'm not rich enough to do the testing required to make the determination so now I err on the side of safety.

On the bike I carry a high end P&S Canon camera.

If I need to put the DSLR gear into service, it goes in the Cherokee !!!

elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 29, 2012 19:05 |  #34

I wouldnt carry a dSLR on the bike except maybe a cheapie. I put 25K miles on my FJR1300 this year. Cant think that's good for a camera.

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 01, 2012 01:10 |  #35

For me I see the camera as a tool and don't care if it would indeed fail. I'd miss way too many awesome opportunities if I left the camera at home. Granted I don't ride as much as elader, I get maybe 10kkm per year.
When the weather is poor I just pick my 500D when I know it will get some rain on it anyway, it's survived the weather in Norway so it's can't be that bad ;) otherwise I carry my 5D.

We should have thread share motorcycle travel pics, or maybe there is already. I don't have time to search right now.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 01, 2012 02:37 |  #36

S100 in my jacket pocket :D

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 01, 2012 02:45 |  #37

2cruise wrote in post #14342962 (external link)
In a padded bag stored in the trunk. This thing rides better than my car.

QUOTED IMAGE

That's not a motorbike haha...that's a UFO with a licence plate ;)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Al ­ Rohrer
85 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2003

May 02, 2012 14:11 |  #38

I've carried Canon AE-1P, Elan 7, EOS 3, 10D, 20D, 1D MkII, 5D MkII, G2 and a G12 with a multitude of Canon lenses on my Harley and my BMW K1100LT. Toted them in the tank bag, trunk, side bags, and in a camera backpack strapped on the rear seat. With the exception of the AE-1P and 10D, I've still got all of the cameras and most of the lenses and they all still work fine. My daughter has the AE-1P and 10D.
What's the use of having equipment if you can't use it?

Canon Shooter and PSCS5 on a PC.

Persian-Rice
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2004

May 02, 2012 14:22 |  #39

Givi hard tail pack, I'm sport bike guy who gets close to the tank, the tank bag can get in the way, and are usually soft shell. Tail pack with inside padding will be more than fine. I've also thrown a body over my shoulder and hopped on for short rides, but I spend most of that time worrying about the camera, and not being able to shoot with leather gloves on. If you're really worried about vibrations, most cruisers I've tried shouldn't be a problem, only Harley I've been on was a sportster with pipes, but I'll choose a backpack over saddle bag or even padded tail pack because of all the pot-holes in my city. Oh and don't forget, make sure to zip lock any expensive stuff, dust and especially water can be really bad with a backpack.

FeXL
493 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 02, 2012 16:46 as a reply to  @ Persian-Rice's post |  #40

Carry a Mk IV, 70-200/2.8 II (mounted) & 24-70/2.8 along with other assorted pieces of gear fairly regularly in the Tourpack on our Ultra. Gear is usually in a Lowepro Classified 160 AW, occasionally in a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 (when we bring the laptop along).

No problems.

John37
609 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 02, 2012 17:39 as a reply to  @ post 14342364 |  #41

I'm thinking that, provided you have decent suspension on the bike, there shouldn't be THAT much difference in vibration between a car and bike. That is unless your camera bag is directly over the rear wheel. Next time you drive a car, put your hand on the passenger seat and feel how much it vibrates. It's a lot more than one would think. It's a lot worse if you place the bag on the floor. My current bikes are a KLR, and Softail. Both are relatively smooth while riding.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!' ~ Neil Peart
5Dii, 5Dc, 135L, 70-200 f2.8, 24-105L, 17-40L, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 430exll, Yongnuo 560ll x 2, wife, 2 kids :cool:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dajaphotographs​/ (external link)

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 04, 2012 05:22 as a reply to  @ John37's post |  #42

Not so much for worry about vibration damage, but simply for bulk, my vote is for a high end point and shoot. This is why there is a Fuji X10 in my gear list where the 40D used to live. The better compacts have come a long way. I used to carry the 40D in a tail bag along with the 24-70. Wrapped it in towels, never had an issue. Won't say I did it extensively, but I never really gave it much thought when I did. Not a fan of carrying a backpack on a bike at all. Crazy, really. Should you experience an unplanned dismount, I see the back pack being a source of injury. You know that will be where you land! Ouch.

DSLR bulk and weight is getting hard to bear with so many great compacts out there. The advantage of fast focus and shutter speed still goes to the SLR for now, but the IQ advantage is diminishing. Do you really need what the SLR has to offer on a bike or in a travel camera in general?

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Joined May 2003

May 04, 2012 07:18 |  #43

Statements like "The bike is pretty smooth, not a lot of vibration." and "Comfortable, no worries about vibrations..." may not quite be correct. In the peak of the film days, 1950's and onward, when 35mm was probably just beginning its run of popularity, it was well known that cameras carried on aircraft could develop loose screws. I traveled extensively and can remember having a Konica Autoreflex stripped down for a CLA; I was told it was about ready to come apart. It was reassembled with essentially clear nail polish on most of the threaded components. At the time you read about this happening quite often.

Of course cameras hopefully are assembled better today. I suspect they even go through "shaker" tests (and I don't mean an HD) to identify components that might be resonant and thus tend to loosen readily. In addition cases are probably much improved with the thought of vibration always in mind in selecting case components.

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 04, 2012 08:10 |  #44

Lacks_focus wrote in post #14377617 (external link)
Do you really need what the SLR has to offer on a bike or in a travel camera in general?

Yes because depending on my mood I like my UWA or for the option of shallower depth of field. I like to take environmental portraits when I go out riding with friends, even if I don't happen to carry a super fast lens I still get a lot nicer portraits with just my 500D and kit compared to a pns.

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 04, 2012 14:09 |  #45

Xcelx wrote in post #14378047 (external link)
I still get a lot nicer portraits with just my 500D and kit compared to a pns.

That depends a lot in the P&S... Just a few years ago, I would agree with you without question. Now, not as much. There are many great compacts these days that rival entry level SLRs for IQ and functionality. As everything goes in this world, only you can decide what works for you.

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

sponsored links

8,317 views & 0 likes for this thread
Motorcyclists traveling with gear question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.