Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 May 2012 (Wednesday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 50mm 1.4 or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

alexxn
396 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 02, 2012 10:54 |  #1

I'm looking for a 50mm for my newly acquired 1Dmk3, is a Canon a better bet over the Sigma ?

Nikon D4S, D3, Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4G, Nikkor AF-S 85 f/1.8G, Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED, Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G E VR II
www.alexnikolis.com (external link)

sponsored links
whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 02, 2012 10:57 |  #2

I just upgraded to the Sigma from the Canon. The Sigma feels like it is built better to me, is sharper at 1.4, and I like the bokeh a lot better. You may have to go through a few to get one that focuses well, or just adjust it with your body.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

tb1891
168 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 02, 2012 11:25 |  #3

The Sigma is excellent if you get a copy that will focus accurately. My first one last fall was all over the place on my camera, so I switched to the Canon 50. After a few months, I gradually got the itch to give the Sigma another try and just buy new this time so I could get a free calibration if necessary. Second time around, it's perfect. I had to MA it to +20, but on my 5D2, after a few thousand photos, I'd say the focus is accurate 99% of the time - and that 1% is probably just some user error. The bokeh is just amazing, it's a bit sharper, and the build quality isn't even close. I couldn't be happier with my decision, but just know there is some inherent risk if you choose the Sigma.

Flickr (external link)

PandaSPUR
98 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 02, 2012 12:01 |  #4

I bought my Sigma 50 used. It does front focus slightly when I tested it, but in actual use I didnt notice it (user error at f/1.4 is more likely than lens error in my case).

The build quality is amazing.

I really like the look of the lens itself a lot.

My copy has the new plain matte black finish, except the focus ring area, which still has the "fuzzy" matte black finish. Perfect combination in my opinion :D

The front element is huge (77mm filter size), so there isnt much vignetting even at f/1.4 (although I tend to use LR profiles to correct it anyway).

Focus ring feels good too. Although, the distance meter is small and not as useful as it could be (but some people dont ever use the meter anyway lol). It also takes a very small amount of turning to go from MFD to Infinity so you might find it hard to precisely adjust focus, for me I think its just fine.

The lens is HEAVY. Big and heavy. (compared to the Canon 50 1.8/1.4)
With the Canon 50 1.8, my camera will sit happily on its ass.
With the Sigma 50, the camera tips forward to rest on the tip of the lens. And this is with a L plate on my 5D. Might be fine with a 1D though. Either way, no big deal, just felt like mentioning it.

And I agree with the others. The lens is pretty good wide open and the bokeh is amazing.

Canon 5D Classic: Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8
Panasonic G1: Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens
Pentax K-r: Pentax DAL 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens

kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 02, 2012 12:12 |  #5

Sigma

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=6uaOC-q6nP8 (external link)

Here's another, but he reviewed it on a Nikon body. Still gives you what you want to know about the Sigma though.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=pfyrGfqZQ-A (external link)

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

mkville
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 02, 2012 12:12 |  #6

I've had the Canon, but used both and could say the Sigma was the better of the two.... provided you don't experiance any of the aformentioned focusing issues, that unfortunetly the Sigma lenses suffer from. I liked my Canon 50 but it just wasn't sharp at 1.4 to 2.0, I know you get what you pay for, but if your advertising it at 1.4 then it should shoot at 1.4 . I say go Sigma

Rant off

Mark
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2012 13:51 |  #7

Sigma is a much better feeling lens, very solid feel to it. It looks better too. However, the three that I tried didn't work. Hopefully you'll have better luck - if you need more info, search "sigma lottery"

alexxn
THREAD ­ STARTER
396 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 02, 2012 14:17 |  #8

rick_reno wrote in post #14367590 (external link)
Sigma is a much better feeling lens, very solid feel to it. It looks better too. However, the three that I tried didn't work. Hopefully you'll have better luck - if you need more info, search "sigma lottery"

So I'm guessing if I buy used from here even if it's sharp on one camera it may not be sharp on mine ?

Nikon D4S, D3, Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4G, Nikkor AF-S 85 f/1.8G, Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED, Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G E VR II
www.alexnikolis.com (external link)

SamuelYCWang
280 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 02, 2012 14:32 as a reply to  @ alexxn's post |  #9

I had both in the past. In fact, I recently let go of the Sigma just a month ago. IMO, the Sigma is better built, faster, and the new matted finish looks and feels great. However, like what most people already know, or will find out the hard way is that, with Sigma it's a hit or miss. It's literally like playing the lottery. If you get a good copy, it's wonderful piece of glass. If you don't and your body does not support micro adjust, you'll have to send it in for calibration and hope they don't give you the runaround. If your not the original owner of the lens, and it also happens to be under warranty, then you will get the runaround cause they will only ship the lens back to the original purchaser of the lens. That being said, good luck.

Canon 5D MK III
EF 17-40 f/4L USM
ER 50 f/1.2L USM
EF 24-70 7/2.8L II USM
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM

tb1891
168 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 02, 2012 14:39 |  #10

alexxn wrote in post #14367736 (external link)
So I'm guessing if I buy used from here even if it's sharp on one camera it may not be sharp on mine ?

It would still be sharp - but it may not focus accurately/consistentl​y. When I first bought one last fall, I got it used on POTN. The guy I bought it from said it worked great on his 5D2 - but when I got it, it was horrific on my 7D. Whenever I eventually sold it to a friend, it worked great on his old 5D. So it's really just a tossup. Even my new one doesn't work perfectly on the 7D, but I don't really care, as it IS perfect on my 5D2.

Flickr (external link)

PandaSPUR
98 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 02, 2012 15:18 |  #11

Yea in terms of buying used, it seems like the lens will AF the same on bodies with similar AF systems.

The guy I bought it from used a 5DII and he told me he had to make a slight adjustment to compensate for front focusing.
On my 5D, I have the same slight front focusing (sadly the 5Dc does not have AF-MA)

I never heard of Sigma giving someone a hard time about calibrations though. From what I've read, they know its an issue so they gladly fix it under warranty. Apparently they'll honor the warranty even if you're not the original buyer. Although I havent tried this myself.
Under warranty, you'd just end up paying around $30 for shipping one way, they cover shipping back.

eye_projekt
349 posts
Joined May 2012

May 02, 2012 15:25 |  #12

I do like the tough rugged build of the Sigma, but like other have said, focus issues can be a bit of a challenge for some, I have the Sigma 30mm f1.4, love it!

Portfolio (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)Pinterest (external link)

svassh
302 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 02, 2012 15:43 |  #13

Had both currently have the Sigma 50mm and love it. As others have said solid build, BIG and beautiful bokeh. With a body that has MFA its a much better built lens than the Canon. The Canon performs well but not as sharp as the Sigma or as nice on the bokeh. On a budget the Canon is still a fine lens, if you can afford the Sigma its worth playing the focus lottery.

Samsung NX1, NX 500, 16-50S, 50-150S, 12-24mm, 45 1.8

PandaSPUR
98 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 02, 2012 15:46 |  #14

Oh also worth noting when considering the two...

During my research I found out that the Canon 50 1.4 has a fragile AF mechanism. A strike/bump on the front of the lens barrel can break the AF apparently. How hard the strike or bump has to be, I'm not sure.

So I guess in a way, both lenses have their own AF issues lol. But at least with the Sigma, you know that you have a good solid lens once you get a good copy.

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 02, 2012 16:04 |  #15

The question is how many copys does it take to you get a good copy and I think having to send your brand new lens in with your camera body is just unexceptionable!!

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,825 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50mm 1.4 or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.