Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 30 Apr 2012 (Monday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Unequal brothers

habakuk
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 30, 2012 07:24 |  #1

IMAGE: http://www.punctumsaliens.ch/nature/pub/unequalbrothers_600.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.punctumsali​ens.ch …b/unequalbrothe​rs_900.jpg  (external link)

(click > zoom)

cheers
®

More on my BLOG (external link) ::: www.punctumgallery.ch (external link) ::: www.driftingaway.org (external link) ::: www.goodeye.ch (external link) | Creativity & perception workshops (external link)
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringer (external link) | Sternspuren (external link) | Anderswelt (Otherworld) (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 30, 2012 09:22 |  #2

nice contrast

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 01, 2012 00:06 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #3

What exactly is that coming out of the dead bush? Are those the leaves from a water lily? It sort of looks like that, it's just that I'm viewing this on a small monitor and zooming in doesn't quite show me what I'm looking at. But those sort of look like leaves from a water lily. Is that what they are, or are they something else?

Anyway, I think that this is a very important detail. This picture DEFINITELY seems like a "departure from reality". You know, in the sense that, unlike your tree man picture, it's clearly not a "straight" shot. This is obviously a composite of several images, and that's not in any way a bad thing. The fact that it's so obvious is not a bad thing. Hell, Jerry Uelsmann's composites are also obviously composites, and he does that very well.

But there are really different kinds of photographs. Some photogrphs, the primary goal is to simply do stuff such as make product look appealing. other kinds of photographs, the goal seems to be more along the lines of making statements and challenging ways of thinking. At first glance, this SEEMS like more of the latter. And if that's the case, I think it'd be a bit unfair to ask you what the meaning and intent is without first giving my opinion on what the picture SAYS. That'd sort of be doing you a disservice.

But before doing so, I really have to ask, "those are lily pads, right?"

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 02, 2012 00:27 as a reply to  @ Clean Gene's post |  #4

Okay, it's been a day. Now I have to say something. I'm still not entirely sure what is what, but I've had at least an entire day to think about it. Also, not know d*** about s*** happens frequently during class critiiques. But if no one else is saying much, then someone needs to say something. That might as well be me, even if it makes me look like a jackass/dumbass.

Anyway, I think that this HAS to be symbolic (or metaphorical...I often get the two mixed up). We've got four things I can count. 1) The green grass/bush/whatever. 2) The dead bush. 3) The water lilies (I'm just going to assume that's what they are, since I shouldn't have to wait 24 hours to get answers to questions before judging a work of art). 4) The sky.There are a LOT of indications that this was stitched together. That's obvious because lily pads don't grow downward from dead bushes, and the lighting on the subjects doesn't match. So this is obviously not a single straight capture. Even if it was, the scene being shot has obviously been manipulated to the point where it no longer has any expectation of being "realistic". This photograph is clearly mostly about intentions/messages. This is clearly more about "saying something" than it is about "making a technically great aesthetically pleasing photograph."

I think I'm willing to state that much, based on what is being shown.

As far as WHAT is being said and how effectively the photograph conveys that message, let me take a break and come back to that in a little while. I haven't eaten in 36 hours, and I'm REALLY hungry.

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 02, 2012 15:21 |  #5

Easy now, Clean Gene... :)

Thank you both for your comments. Foremost: this is as plain a photograph as it gets. There is no manipulation/composing​/fake/whatever. It only is a perspective that you might not have expected and therefore you try to understand it "wrong".

And I'm sorry, but I never guaranteed anyone to get background information within 24h after posting the shot! ;)

So, what do we have here? What you see is a small pond in front of my house. Since we are repairing the roof, there is a framework (?) around the house and I went up to check the progress. From high above the ground, I had the chance to look straight down onto the pond. And there they are... the reflection of the branches of a huge tree, the leaves of a water lily and the green leaves of another lily variety, that grows on the side of the pond and that has not yet produced flowers.

There's absolutely nothing "wrong", doctored, composed. It is simply another view of the world as it presents itself to me. Personally I like the surealistic touch, the way the elements find together in a not so expected way. The sky and the water becomes one, the flowers and the tree too.

cheers
®

More on my BLOG (external link) ::: www.punctumgallery.ch (external link) ::: www.driftingaway.org (external link) ::: www.goodeye.ch (external link) | Creativity & perception workshops (external link)
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringer (external link) | Sternspuren (external link) | Anderswelt (Otherworld) (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Unequal brothers
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.