Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 May 2012 (Thursday) 20:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! Photo session with no card!

this thread is locked
AmandaLeigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 03, 2012 21:37 |  #16

mike_d wrote in post #14376288 (external link)
Also, you should really have more than one memory card. I have a card wallet tethered to my bag. So even if I were to leave a card on my desk, I'd have plenty more to use once I got on site.

I know. I will get another card. I usually keep this one in my camera at all times but Monday I took it out and forgot to put it in. I have never forgotten it since I had my second point and shoot and then I wasn't shooting a session so it wasn't a big deal.

I own a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. 50mm lens and 55-250mm lens. Canon rocks!
Amanda Leigh Photography
http://amandaleighphot​os.weebly.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 03, 2012 21:38 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Well, it is not rude. It is one of these things that shouldn't even be happening, especially when you are charging your clients money for the shoot. When you shoot and you chimp, you should quickly realize that you have no memory card. Of course, you always carry extras.

This is so stereotypical......I mean..... Well....good luck.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 03, 2012 21:40 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

Dan Marchant wrote in post #14376200 (external link)
You are going to have to apologise to your client and say there was an [Unspecified] technical problem, and that the camera didn't record the image to the card (kinda true). They will need to come in for a free re-shoot. You should probably throw in some extra prints or a discount for their trouble.

Going forward you will want to prepare a pre-flight check-list so that you never leave home again without a necessary piece of kit.

Well, that is still kind of tough to pull off since shouldn't you have a backup camera if this one the OP using wasn't working???

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

AmandaLeigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 03, 2012 21:55 |  #19

TooManyShots wrote in post #14376318 (external link)
Well, that is still kind of tough to pull off since shouldn't you have a backup camera if this one the OP using wasn't working???

My camera was working just fine? I didn't have a SD card was all. The shoot was free and I am working with the client to reschedule. I told her when I left that there may be a chance I couldn't get the photos, because at the time I didn't realize DSLR's had no internal memory. And she understood. I have only been a DSLR owner for a month.

Amanda Leigh Photography

Steve ­ of ­ Cornubia
459 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 03, 2012 22:00 |  #20

The most striking thing about this thread is that we apparently have here a photographer new to DSLRs, largely clueless about how to use it (no insult intended), using a cheap consumer body and a single kit lens - and charging for her work!

And looking at her site, she's doing fine, even without a bag full of pro bodies and L glass........

Methinks Amanda should provide us with some business tuition!

Also, how the heck did you get that pic of the Swallow with a 50mm lens, Amanda?

5D MK3, 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 1.4x TC MKIII, Nissin Di866 II, Nissin Di466
I hate being bipolar. It's great.

erdons
299 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

May 03, 2012 22:01 as a reply to  @ AmandaLeigh's post |  #21

Surely you are trolling us..... wow if true!

5D Mark III|7D Mark II|60D|T3|24-70/f2.8|70-200/f2.8L MK II ||Canon Speedlite 600 EX RT|Canon Speedlite 580EXII|2x Alien Bee B800

LHeyden
801 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 03, 2012 22:06 |  #22

I had to smile, cuz it happened to me (though I was just taking deer pictures, some of my best, mind you). I only had the camera a couple days when it happened, learned a very good lesson. I set my camera so it wouldn't work without a card, and put a little leather pouch (used to keep dog tags quiet on a dog's collar) on my neck strap with an extra card for this very reason. You won't soon forget this experience.

Laura Heyden
http://windyridgegolde​ns.com/ (external link)
7D, 5Dc Canon's 70-200mm f/2.8L, 24-105 f/4L, Tamron 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD , 55-250mm IS, 28-135mm IS, 100 2.8 Macro, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, and Tamron's 17-35 2.8-4

shawncorson
335 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 22:06 |  #23

I honestly cannot believe the level of rudeness in this thread. Someone comes to you on a informational forum asking for advice (whether you see it as stupidity or not) and this is the reaction she's getting from you guys? the experienced and non experienced all make mistakes. It doesn't matter if you own a 4k dollar camera or a 500 dollar camera, anyone can forget their memory card. The fact she's only been doing this for a month is her business and if someone is willing to pay her for her work whether you would or not, doesn't give you any right to crucify her for doing so -- hell some people can't get a dime for their work and they own some of the most expensive equipment on the market.

I'm sorry to hear you ran into this problem dear. Just always remember from now on you should continuously invest in backup memory cards.

Equipment: 5D MKii / 50mm 1.8 / 70-200mm F4L / 100mm 2.8 / 430ex II (x2)
http://facebook.com/re​galrebelphoto (external link) | http://regalrebelphoto​.com (external link)

AmandaLeigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 03, 2012 22:09 |  #24

Steve of Cornubia wrote in post #14376410 (external link)
The most striking thing about this thread is that we apparently have here a photographer new to DSLRs, largely clueless about how to use it (no insult intended), using a cheap consumer body and a single kit lens - and charging for her work!

And looking at her site, she's doing fine, even without a bag full of pro bodies and L glass........

Methinks Amanda should provide us with some business tuition!

Also, how the heck did you get that pic of the Swallow with a 50mm lens, Amanda?

I actually do know how to use my camera, and that was quite insultful, who are you to say if I know how to work it if you don't know me? I do not have a kit lens, I purchased them seperately. I took that photo of the swallow with my Canon Powershot actually, not my Rebel. I honestly can't tell if your post is serious or scarcastic.

Amanda Leigh Photography

AmandaLeigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 03, 2012 22:11 |  #25

shawncorson wrote in post #14376437 (external link)
I honestly cannot believe the level of rudeness in this thread. Someone comes to you on a informational forum asking for advice (whether you see it as stupidity or not) and this is the reaction she's getting from you guys? the experienced and non experienced all make mistakes. It doesn't matter if you own a 4k dollar camera or a 500 dollar camera, anyone can forget their memory card. The fact she's only been doing this for a month is her business and if someone is willing to pay her for her work whether you would or not, doesn't give you any right to crucify her for doing so -- hell some people can't get a dime for their work and they own some of the most expensive equipment on the market.

I'm sorry to hear you ran into this problem dear. Just always remember from now on you should continuously invest in backup memory cards.

Thank you. I've always recieved rude replies when posting on this forum, its quite sad. I've actually been into phtography for five years, and had my business for one, doing free shoots up until this month when I JUST started charging. I was not charging with a point and shoot and made sure to know how to work my Rebel and everything before I started charging.

Amanda Leigh Photography

shawncorson
335 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 22:14 |  #26

AmandaLeigh wrote in post #14376459 (external link)
Thank you. I've always recieved rude replies when posting on this forum, its quite sad. I've actually been into phtography for five years, and had my business for one, doing free shoots up until this month when I JUST started charging. I was not charging with a point and shoot and made sure to know how to work my Rebel and everything before I started charging.

No problem. Memory cards care some of the cheapest photography gear you can buy and THE most important piece of gear you can buy. That's what keeps my mind on whether I have one or not :)

Equipment: 5D MKii / 50mm 1.8 / 70-200mm F4L / 100mm 2.8 / 430ex II (x2)
http://facebook.com/re​galrebelphoto (external link) | http://regalrebelphoto​.com (external link)

AmandaLeigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 03, 2012 22:17 |  #27

shawncorson wrote in post #14376478 (external link)
No problem. Memory cards care some of the cheapest photography gear you can buy and THE most important piece of gear you can buy. That's what keeps my mind on whether I have one or not :)

That is very good to remember! I do know that I will always, always check from now on.

Amanda Leigh Photography

AmandaLeigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 03, 2012 22:19 |  #28

erdons wrote in post #14376417 (external link)
Surely you are trolling us..... wow if true!

I'm not trolling. This happen. You don't need to be rude!

Amanda Leigh Photography

Steve ­ of ­ Cornubia
459 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 03, 2012 22:34 |  #29

AmandaLeigh wrote in post #14376448 (external link)
...... I honestly can't tell if your post is serious or scarcastic.

Yet you chose to assume it was sarcastic?

5D MK3, 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 1.4x TC MKIII, Nissin Di866 II, Nissin Di466
I hate being bipolar. It's great.

AmandaLeigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 03, 2012 22:37 |  #30

Steve of Cornubia wrote in post #14376570 (external link)
Yet you chose to assume it was sarcastic?

Parts of it seemed sarcastic at first but i realize they aren't. Sorry I was just upset at the time when reading it.

Amanda Leigh Photography

sponsored links

11,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Photo session with no card!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.