Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 May 2012 (Thursday) 20:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! Photo session with no card!

this thread is locked
Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 04, 2012 08:49 |  #46

Murphy is always ready and available to mess with us with his dang laws.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

sponsored links
chadci
150 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 04, 2012 09:42 |  #47

CameraClicker wrote in post #14378147 (external link)
After the warning is in, That is another great point! ;) Helps keep the cards nice and tidy and free of corrupted files, etc.

Also, always "Safely Remove Hardware" before taking the card out of the computer.

Yeah, thanks for adding the warning :)

As for cards. I keep a small card wallet inside of my battery wallet. Keeps the cards with me at all times, safe, dry, clean etc. Always always always have 2 of everything that can break, get lost etc. when you're going for paid shoots.

Bishop ­ Gideon
77 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 04, 2012 12:30 |  #48

Oh man... I can remember packing up my bag, making sure I had everything, checking twice before leaving for a shoot.

Placed the bag down behind my truck, went unlocked the door to the truck, locked the door to the house, and promptly drove away. I didn't realize I left my bag with my main equipment sitting outside my garage at my townhome until I got to the shoot.

Panic sets in and I rush home to try and find my stuff. It's not there.

Luckily a neighbor had seen it and put it in their house for safe keeping.

So all of use forget things on the way to shoots. That's why they have stores like walmart and target on every corner it seems. Run in and grab a card to get you through the day. You're ready to go.

And yes, I remember a time when digital cameras had on board memory also. I can't remember the model, but I had one that you used the on board memory and then you could put in a memory card also for more space.

Bishop Gideon
---------------
7D :: 18-50 f/2.8 - 70-200 f/2.8 - 1.4 ext - 580exII - 420EX
Sears 32B :: 58mm f/1.7 - 135mm f/2.8
http://www.DigitalFree​ze.com (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 04, 2012 13:06 as a reply to  @ Bishop Gideon's post |  #49

With my 1d, I have it set to save to the CF card, but keep an SD card in it "just in case" because I have driven across town to shoot a ball game, arrived just in time and realized my card was at home.
A couple of weeks ago, I went on a field trip with the kids and decided at the last minute to use the school's XTi instead of my personal camera and did not realize there was no card until we arrived at the destination. It sucks, but we lived through it.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

adilh
468 posts
Joined May 2011

May 04, 2012 13:08 |  #50

wow....sorry about that! don't you review your pix when shooting? I highly recommend that :)

Once upon a time, I drove 4 hours to catch the sunrise over the Golden Gate bridge in SF...guess what I forgot, the BATTERY for my 5Dmkii ! Lucky I used my girlfriends camera to save the trip… laugh it, learn and move ON!

Keep shooting!

1Ds Mkii | 5DMkii | 50D | 7D |17-40 L|70-200 2.8 IS L |24-70 2.8 L| 50&85 1.8|100 2.8 | & Still Suffering from Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Flick (external link)er|Facebook (external link)]|Adil Photography website (external link)| Feedback1|Feedback2|
Zenfolio 10%off : F18-9FY-CYX

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 04, 2012 13:11 |  #51

i actually did this.
took pics in my house of people and the sort.. was funny when i told them it gave me experience in framing and the sort.. now i enabled the option to not take a picture if no memory card....
find that option and set it..

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 04, 2012 13:17 |  #52

Amanda, I'd suggest before you do anything else with your camera read page 166 of the manual and follow the steps to disable shooting without the card:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com/lit_files/16003.​pdf (external link)

Joel

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 04, 2012 13:31 |  #53

AmandaLeigh wrote in post #14376218 (external link)
For the rest of you all who responded you didn't have to act so rude. This is my first DSLR and i'm used to having an internal memory if i've forgotten the card. I didn't know that DSLR's didn't come with an interntal memory so ya'll saying, "wow" and "lol" really makes me feel more awful about the situation and makes me feel dumb.

Amanda,

Yes, sometimes people can be a bit rough, but in the kindest way possible I would like to suggest to you that before you venture out and charge people for your services, you need to be absolutely familiar and comfortable with how your equipment works. In the business world such an error can be the kiss of death for your reputation.

Since, by your own admission, this is your first DSLR, I would suggest going back and reading the manual from cover to cover and going thru every menu setting in your camera until you're sure you know what every one of them does and your are comfortable with how and when you would use those settings. For the record, there is a setting that permits you to shoot without a memory card in the camera. For reasons unknown, Canon defaults this setting to allowing you to shoot with no card, and you must change it to NOT let that happen. Personally I think they should have made the default to not allow you to shoot without a card in the camera because you're not the first person to have that happen to you.

Good luck, and good reading!

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 04, 2012 13:41 |  #54

DennisW1 wrote in post #14379560 (external link)
For reasons unknown, Canon defaults this setting to allowing you to shoot with no card, and you must change it to NOT let that happen.

It's probably for the camera displays at Best Buy, etc. so people can monkey with the camera without having a card installed...

Joel

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 04, 2012 13:45 |  #55

AmandaLeigh wrote in post #14376218 (external link)
For the rest of you all who responded you didn't have to act so rude. This is my first DSLR and i'm used to having an internal memory if i've forgotten the card. I didn't know that DSLR's didn't come with an interntal memory so ya'll saying, "wow" and "lol" really makes me feel more awful about the situation and makes me feel dumb.

There is a manual that comes with your camera. I suggest you read it.

Gear List

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 04, 2012 13:49 |  #56

Steve of Cornubia wrote in post #14376410 (external link)
The most striking thing about this thread is that we apparently have here a photographer new to DSLRs, largely clueless about how to use it (no insult intended), using a cheap consumer body and a single kit lens - and charging for her work!

And looking at her site, she's doing fine, even without a bag full of pro bodies and L glass........

Methinks Amanda should provide us with some business tuition!

Also, how the heck did you get that pic of the Swallow with a 50mm lens, Amanda?

What? The photos on the website are horrible and IMO she should not be charging people yet.

Gear List

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 04, 2012 13:56 |  #57

TeleFragger wrote in post #14379454 (external link)
i actually did this.
took pics in my house of people and the sort.. was funny when i told them it gave me experience in framing and the sort.. now i enabled the option to not take a picture if no memory card....
find that option and set it..

Aye, I am super spacey so first thing I do w/new camera is find that option and enable it. My gf once went an entire hike taking pictures without realizing auto focus was switched off, on the lens--oops...give her crap for that to this day. :P

amanathia.zenfolio.com

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 04, 2012 13:58 |  #58

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14379614 (external link)
It's probably for the camera displays at Best Buy, etc. so people can monkey with the camera without having a card installed...

Probably, and I guess the figure that the "experts" who work in those stores would never be able to figure out how to change the setting.

I usually mess with them, when I go in there, I change that one to see if anyone can figure it out. Came back to one store two weeks later and it was still set on no shoot without card! :)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,668 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

May 04, 2012 14:14 |  #59

DennisW1 wrote in post #14379714 (external link)
I usually mess with them, when I go in there, I change that one to see if anyone can figure it out. Came back to one store two weeks later and it was still set on no shoot without card! :)

Don't do that with the Canons, you'll hurt their sales. ;)

SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 04, 2012 14:14 |  #60

Numenorean wrote in post #14379660 (external link)
What? The photos on the website are horrible and IMO she should not be charging people yet.

I don't see any reason for this. If people like what she has to offer and are willing to pay, then she has every right to decide if she wants to charge.

I understand that was your opinion, however you could've chosen to be bit more tactful.

Gear & Feedback|Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|Facebook (external link)
www.sethdubois.com (external link)

sponsored links

11,504 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Photo session with no card!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.