Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 May 2012 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Battery Care and the EOS60D

brphotography
29 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 04, 2012 20:14 |  #1

Hi all

New owner of a Canon EOS-60D and a nice welcome upgrade from my Canon EOS-30D with the jump from 8 to 18MP

However I am interested on opinions on battery care, is it better to use the camera to the point that the battery is exhausted of charge, or continue to "top up" if you say after each use.

I found in the past that batteries would loose there charger quicker each time and wonder if there are any tricks of the trade to prolong a good battery cell.

I do try and make a habit of turning the camera off and removing the battery if its not in use.

Brians Hottub :: Canon EOS-60D :: Canon 430EX Flash:: 1 x 32Gb SDHC :: Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 (55mm) :: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 (52mm) :: Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (58mm) Lens :: Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG/HSM (77mm) :: Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro (58mm) Lens :: KONICA MINOLTA Light Meter ::250w Studio Flash Kit :: Freelance Photographer - http://www.brettrobson​photography.com.au (external link)

sponsored links
dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 04, 2012 20:20 |  #2

I am probably not a good example but I charge nightly. I am a motorsport photography and need fully charged batteries. 2 in the battery grip. Extras charged. I run them all day and then charge again. As I understand completely killing them works best in terms of longevity but not sure.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 04, 2012 21:08 |  #3

The Lithium Ion battery in the 60D is immune from the "memory effect" that NiCd and NiMH batteries have, so I think it does not matter if you top off or let it run down. It won't affect the battery life.

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,258 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

May 04, 2012 21:22 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #4

http://batteryuniversi​ty.com …g_lithium_based​_batteries (external link)

IQ ­ Zero
738 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 04, 2012 22:02 as a reply to  @ oldvultureface's post |  #5

I personally run mine all the way down every time but I have a couple so their is always one ready and full.

I have read some place that it is good to run them all the way down every once in awhile as to set the chip in the battery.

I'm No Rocket Surgeon

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 05, 2012 02:07 |  #6

While on vacation last year with my gripped 30D, I took about 1600 pictures before the batteries died. And that was on a used camera with used batteries I purchased a year ago.

So, when I, too, upgraded to a 60D (and bought a grip as well), I figured about 1600 pictures as well before they died. I think I ran it up to about 1200 before I 'chickened out' and recharged the batteries. I don't have spares. I figure the battery charge level in the viewfinder is a pretty good indicator of how many shots I have left before the die, using 1600 as a 'full charge' amount (with the grip). The day before I go out to do some shooting, I double the estimate of how many shots I'll be taking and check to see if I have enough battery left to handle it. But, of course, on important events, I always leave home with fully charged batteries.

I forget how I 'found' it, but there's a menu info screen that shows number of shots per battery, and if I recall, an estimate of how many shots left.

Of course, using the popup flash, Live View, or longer LCD display time or longer shutdown time will drain the battery(s) faster than the calculated number of pictures based on power/charge level.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

May 05, 2012 06:34 |  #7

I have always with my 20D, 40D,and now 7D rotated my battery use between my two batteries. I don't use a grip becasue I don't want to add any more weight to my rig with a 70-200mm 2.8 and a flash. I am a big guy and never had any problems with my gig hands needed more to hold. I shoot all day on a single battery with no issues. Next time out I use the other one. I have never had any issues.

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

sponsored links

922 views & 0 likes for this thread
Battery Care and the EOS60D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.