Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 05 May 2012 (Saturday) 11:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tonights Super Moon !

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,582 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 05, 2012 11:44 |  #1

Anyone wanting to take a picture of the super moon tonight here is a request to all giving it a try . Be out on the horizon where it is clear tonight and be ready with a tripod to take pictures as the moon starts to raise . Don't wait til it's up in the sky cause it will have shrunk in size and look like any other normal full moon . The atmosphere on the horizon is what makes the moon raising look super big !

sponsored links
victorelessar
187 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 05, 2012 11:52 |  #2

yeah lets all come back here tonight to share. im soon off to take some pics

Canon EOS 1100D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm | Helios 50mm 1:2 | sigma DL 70-300mm

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,582 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 05, 2012 11:53 |  #3

Here is another YouTube video that explains better :

-dave-m-
493 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

May 05, 2012 14:24 as a reply to  @ Celestron's post |  #4

If the cloud cover clears I'm gonna try and get some shots. I have never shot the moon before. Anyone have some tips to share?

I will be using my 5DMkII + 300 f/4L on a tripod.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 05, 2012 14:41 |  #5

Cloudy here as well.. *sigh* Never fails...

Yes, I have severe Equipment Deficiency. No, the pills don't fix it.

Phoenix_Jackson
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 05, 2012 15:11 as a reply to  @ JDPhotoGuy's post |  #6

4 am. About to sleep. Remembered this moon thing. Took a shot. First post. What do you think?

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7074/7145955297_6c62abf458_t.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/14872705@N02/7​145955297/  (external link)
Mooney (external link) by phoenix_jackson2002 (external link), on Flickr

I'm ­ Sasquatch
430 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 05, 2012 15:32 as a reply to  @ JDPhotoGuy's post |  #7

Very interesting. I've read that the effect is most noticeable at 11:30 or so ET. How about those of us on the west coast? Would the best view still be at moon rise? Will some of the perigee moon effect be lost by the time we see it? I'll howl at the moon just for fun. People already think I have a screw loose.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Bad ­ Habit
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Apr 2011

May 05, 2012 15:46 |  #8

Technically there is no "effect". It's just that the closest point (perigee)to the earth coincides with it being a full moon. The moon appears about 12% bigger than when it's at the apogee (farthest point) .

While it does appear the moon is bigger when it's closer to the horizon, there's a school of thought that it is just an illusion.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Moon_illusion (external link)

Here on the West Coast, moonrise is around 8:30PDT (plus or minus depending on where you are). The "official" full moon is at 8:35 PDT, real close to moonrise here.

JR / flickr (external link)

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,582 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 05, 2012 17:04 |  #9

-dave-m- wrote in post #14384251 (external link)
If the cloud cover clears I'm gonna try and get some shots. I have never shot the moon before. Anyone have some tips to share?

I will be using my 5DMkII + 300 f/4L on a tripod.

You'll do fine , just think of it as taking a landscape image only the exposure may have to be a few seconds longer . You don't want to blow out the moon and don't edit the color cause whatever color it is when it comes up will be correct but it will change and it rises out of the horizons atmosphere . The horizon actually is distorted and you really only see it in images of the moon rising . A good example tho is a mirage like the heat of summer (external link) on the ground at a distance . Best info i can give you is find a good landscape area you want to use and take some test shots prior to the moon rising . Reason is unless you know the exact spot the moon is rising it will catch you off guard . You have to be ready watching the horizon for when you first see the head popping up cause once you see it it will rise quickly and be over before you know it !! Do test shot and make your adjustments then cause even when it starts rising you'll probably make a few quick adjustments anyway but you'll be ready ! I live in Midland Texas and according to Cartes Du Ceil it risies on my horizon at just before 9:36pm . If you have Cartes du Ceil you can go to edit>animation and click the east button , and do a 5-sec animation and soon as you see the moon pop up stop it and see what time it shows in the frame bar at the top frame . Thats when you should already be setup and ready to take picts . You can get Cartes du Ceil HERE (external link) and it's FREE . I use the 2.76 version still and it works fine . And i use OS7 . Good luck !

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,582 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 05, 2012 17:14 |  #10

Im Sasquatch wrote in post #14384511 (external link)
=I'm Sasquatch;14384511]Ver​y interesting. I've read that the effect is most noticeable at 11:30 or so ET. How about those of us on the west coast? Would the best view still be at moon rise? Will some of the perigee moon effect be lost by the time we see it? I'll howl at the moon just for fun. People already think I have a screw loose.

I believe that will be about right time . I live in Texas and West coast is 2 hours behind us so hard to say what time but there is a way to find out . Follow thisLINK (external link) and put in you location and click get data and it will show moon and sunrise times . It will show previous rise which was the day before and you want the second rise time . According to the U.S. Naval Observatory Astronomical Applications Department your time will be at 7:38pm your time (external link).

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,582 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 05, 2012 17:17 |  #11

If you want to find out the MOON RISE TIME IN YOUR AREA CLICK HERE (external link) . Put your city and state in the info box and click "Get Data" and it will show your time . It will show the preceeding day but that is the day before today so go with the time just after that showing moon rise and moonset . BTW also use form "A" only !! If you live out of the USA region use form "B" .

-dave-m-
493 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

May 05, 2012 17:34 |  #12

Celestron wrote in post #14384829 (external link)
You'll do fine , just think of it as taking a landscape image only the exposure may have to be a few seconds longer . You don't want to blow out the moon and don't edit the color cause whatever color it is when it comes up will be correct but it will change and it rises out of the horizons atmosphere . The horizon actually is distorted and you really only see it in images of the moon rising . A good example tho is a mirage like the heat of summer (external link) on the ground at a distance . Best info i can give you is find a good landscape area you want to use and take some test shots prior to the moon rising . Reason is unless you know the exact spot the moon is rising it will catch you off guard . You have to be ready watching the horizon for when you first see the head popping up cause once you see it it will rise quickly and be over before you know it !! Do test shot and make your adjustments then cause even when it starts rising you'll probably make a few quick adjustments anyway but you'll be ready ! I live in Midland Texas and according to Cartes Du Ceil it risies on my horizon at just before 9:36pm . If you have Cartes du Ceil you can go to edit>animation and click the east button , and do a 5-sec animation and soon as you see the moon pop up stop it and see what time it shows in the frame bar at the top frame . Thats when you should already be setup and ready to take picts . You can get Cartes du Ceil HERE (external link) and it's FREE . I use the 2.76 version still and it works fine . And i use OS7 . Good luck !

Unfortunately I won't have much setup time, I have a meeting and won't get home until 9 PM, full moon will happen around 9:35 PM. I'm also well within the city, so I'll have to deal with poor line of sight and light pollution.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 05, 2012 17:38 |  #13

Sorry to point out the obvious, but it's a full moon. A full moon rises at the same time that the sun sets.

With regard to the moon being larger at the horizon - Maybe some of you could prove or disprove that idea. Take a photo with a fixed focal length lens (or a zoom at the extent of its travel) when the moon is rising and then take another shot with the same camera/lens setup a couple of hours later.
Chop the two images in half and paste them together in photoshop (or whatever) so that the left one is as the moon is rising and the right half is up in the sky. Post them here and we shall see.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

victorelessar
187 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 05, 2012 18:17 |  #14

well too bad for me, when the moon was rising, it was still quite clear, so the shots didnt get any good. only after it was too high already i could make this:

IMAGE: http://thumbnails77.imagebam.com/18868/acce07188677359.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.imagebam.co​m/image/acce0718867735​9  (external link)

Canon EOS 1100D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm | Helios 50mm 1:2 | sigma DL 70-300mm

Mactosh
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 05, 2012 18:37 |  #15

done with very limited equipment as im pretty much starting out, fixed up a little in Photoshop.
What do you think?

(Canon 600D with 70-300 f5.6)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 600D, 30D
70-200L f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm kit
430EXII
https://www.facebook.c​om/evans21photography (external link)

sponsored links

37,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tonights Super Moon !
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.