Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 May 2012 (Thursday) 20:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! Photo session with no card!

this thread is locked
Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 05, 2012 21:22 as a reply to  @ post 14385647 |  #76

Steve of Cornubia wrote in post #14376410 (external link)
Methinks Amanda should provide us with some business tuition!

charging those rates, sorry, not the person to be teaching biz skills. You can't make a profit off those numbers, better to shoot for free until you can charger proper money

Numenorean wrote in post #14379660 (external link)
What? The photos on the website are horrible and IMO she should not be charging people yet.

Harsh but honestly I think there is a lot of learning needed before charging

KurtGoss wrote in post #14381179 (external link)
This entire thread is a perfect example of the negative tone that has plagued this Forum. Someone reaches out for help, and they get sarcasm back.

I think there is a neg tone on this forum, I've had it happen to myself. But this thread wasn't "I went to the zoo and shoot forgot my card" this was a session with a client, free or not free if you call the person you are shooting a "client" it's biz. And it's a stupid mistake and not having a back up card yet having a website and biz is silly, should have a back up everything.

JDPhotoGuy wrote in post #14381334 (external link)
Look where this thread was posted. It's in the business section. The OP represented herself as having done this on the job (charging $0 or $1000 is moot IMO. She represented herself as a professional). The shock at the responses received is a bit like dressing up like a seal, swimming to Seal Island, and being shocked when you get eaten by a great white... What in the world did everyone expect?

I don't mind keeping the kid gloves on but there comes a point when it's ridiculous... If someone wants to say "if you have to ask this question, you have no business representing yourself as a knowledgeable professional.." yes it's harsh, but it's true. While it's not helping her immediate predicament, in this case, I think it's the best advice anyone could give.

We'd be remiss if we did not point out that she's grossly in over her head. Otherwise, we're nice in this thread and have to offer our sympathies in her next when she's ranting about being sued...

+1 on this one.

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

sponsored links
Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,808 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 05, 2012 22:16 |  #77

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #14385689 (external link)
charging those rates, sorry, not the person to be teaching biz skills. You can't make a profit off those numbers, better to shoot for free until you can charger proper money

Harsh but honestly I think there is a lot of learning needed before charging

I think there is a neg tone on this forum, I've had it happen to myself. But this thread wasn't "I went to the zoo and shoot forgot my card" this was a session with a client, free or not free if you call the person you are shooting a "client" it's biz. And it's a stupid mistake and not having a back up card yet having a website and biz is silly, should have a back up everything.

+1 on this one.

I have to pretty much agree also. Once you start a business and start providing a service to the public, the onus is on you to know your equipment and how to use it to get the job done in a professional manner.
I really am not trying to be rude or to harsh on the op, but once you move from being a hobbyist to a professional running a business no matter how small, there are no excuses for failing to deliver on such an oversight as not knowing your equipment.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

shawncorson
335 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 05, 2012 23:03 |  #78

the epitome of making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Equipment: 5D MKii / 50mm 1.8 / 70-200mm F4L / 100mm 2.8 / 430ex II (x2)
http://facebook.com/re​galrebelphoto (external link) | http://regalrebelphoto​.com (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 05, 2012 23:07 |  #79

JDPhotoGuy wrote in post #14381334 (external link)
Look where this thread was posted. It's in the business section. The OP represented herself as having done this on the job (charging $0 or $1000 is moot IMO. She represented herself as a professional). The shock at the responses received is a bit like dressing up like a seal, swimming to Seal Island, and being shocked when you get eaten by a great white... What in the world did everyone expect?

I don't mind keeping the kid gloves on but there comes a point when it's ridiculous... If someone wants to say "if you have to ask this question, you have no business representing yourself as a knowledgeable professional.." yes it's harsh, but it's true. While it's not helping her immediate predicament, in this case, I think it's the best advice anyone could give.

We'd be remiss if we did not point out that she's grossly in over her head. Otherwise, we're nice in this thread and have to offer our sympathies in her next when she's ranting about being sued...

This is the best post in this thread.
The reason it stings the OP is because it's true and sometimes truth hurts.
Sometimes a slap in the face like this is what's needed.

The OP made at least 6 basic errors...
Forgot the card...
Didn't have a spare...
Ignored the "no card" warnings that would have been displayed...
Obviously didn't try to review the images (otherwise she would have been aware nothing was being saved)...
Made a massive assumption about what the camera could do...
Didn't read the manual thoroughly (otherwise she would have known that there was no internal memory)
None of these on their own would have been a problem, but as with all "disasters", put a combination of inconsequential incidents together in the correct order and...
KAPOW....big problem.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

Steve ­ of ­ Cornubia
459 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 06, 2012 01:53 |  #80

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #14385689 (external link)

I understand the point you're making, but my point was that a willingness to get out there and give it a go is the single most important step in turning pro. Of course it doesn't guarantee success - most new businesses fail within two years - but the old saying couldn't be more appropriate than in this case:

Trying and failing isn't a sin, but failing to try is.

5D MK3, 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 1.4x TC MKIII, Nissin Di866 II, Nissin Di466
I hate being bipolar. It's great.

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 06, 2012 01:57 |  #81

one of those things to put down to "learning experience"

youll never make that mistake again.

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 06, 2012 04:29 as a reply to  @ post 14385647 |  #82

AmandaLeigh wrote in post #14383865 (external link)
My website still has several photos taken with my Canon powershot, not my rebel. I'm slowly updating it, as I've busy busy the last few weeks. Can you seriously say that the photos in the events category are horrible?!

Why should that matter?
There are many people out there, producing great images with powershot and similar cameras.
Blaming the camera for your lack of skills, shows that you have no concept of what photography is about.
And why would you even show them, if that is how you feel? I sure as hell don't show my clients anything that I don't stand behind 100%.

And yes. I can seriously say that the photos in your "events category" are in fact horrible.

AmandaLeigh wrote in post #14383888 (external link)
You seem to think that I just decided to buy a DSLR and that I JUST started shooting. No, I've been into photography for five years. I've worked my ass off getting to where I am today. I know about photography, I read and learn about it always and as much as I can. In the past year alone I've learned so much more. I may not know everything yet, but I certainly know how to properly work a camera. I am not saying I don't have a long way to go because I know I do. But I feel that I am finally in the place of beginning to charge people, and it's not some crazy amount. It's an affordable price that reflects the quality of my work, and if you don't think that, well that's not my problem. I'm not photographing you now am I?

I call BS on the claim that you "work your ass off" and "read and learn about it as much as much as you can".
If that was true, you could not be asking questions like the one in this thread.
It is clear that you have not even read the manual to your camera and that is about as basic as it gets. But however basic it may be, the manual is still a valuable source of information. Especially when you don't even understand the basics of your camera's function and use.
Even after a couple decades of shooting (mainly Canon when it comes to SLR's and DSLR's), the first thing I do when getting a new piece of kit, is to read the manual cover to cover. And I still learn important things that way.

-You need not know everything about everything, but until you know all that you need to know, you know nothing.-

KurtGoss
453 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 06, 2012 05:29 |  #83
bannedPermanent ban

quiksquirrel wrote in post #14386925 (external link)
And yes. I can seriously say that the photos in your "events category" are in fact horrible.

You should request her address, so you can fly over from Denmark and give her a slap in the face. Maybe give her dog a quick kick too.

This thread is disgusting on so many levels. I took one look at Amanda's website and realized that she is young and a beginner. And yet there seems to be so many people here that need to take a swing. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves...

It's a sad reflection of our current society.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,933 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

May 06, 2012 05:52 |  #84

My cat just puked in the middle of the room.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 06, 2012 06:50 |  #85

KurtGoss wrote in post #14387003 (external link)
You should request her address, so you can fly over from Denmark and give her a slap in the face. Maybe give her dog a quick kick too.

This thread is disgusting on so many levels. I took one look at Amanda's website and realized that she is young and a beginner. And yet there seems to be so many people here that need to take a swing. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves...

It's a sad reflection of our current society.

She asked, and she got an answer. I don't sugarcoat things just so that a little girl can feel good about herself and keep making the same mistakes.

Being young is not a crime. Neither is being a beginner. We have all been in both groups at some point in our lives.
But slapping on a "pro-badge" and thinking that is all it takes, is at best a big mistake.

It is quite clear that she has very little knowledge and experience. And from what I can see, no real interest in either.
If you call yourself a professional and start charging people for your services, before you even understand the role memory cards play in digital photography, or the basic function and use of your most important tool, you NEED a slap in the face.

What people NEED to hear and what they WANT to hear, are rarely the same thing. And in cases like this, what she needs to hear is the truth. The truth can hurt, but it is a necessary pain.

People like you, who play the nice and supportive card and even go as far as making excuses for her, are in my book the worst bastards of all. They give bad advise, that if taken, will only set her up to fail even worse in the future.

And worst of all. Unless you are just talking out your arse and have no real knowledge, you are doing it knowingly.
How big an arsehole must one be to knowingly set someone up to fail?

moose10101
registered smartass
1,749 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

May 06, 2012 08:11 |  #86

Steve of Cornubia wrote in post #14386640 (external link)
I understand the point you're making, but my point was that a willingness to get out there and give it a go is the single most important step in turning pro.

No, the single most important step in turning pro is to prepare yourself for the responsibility you're about to take on.

I hope you don't feel the same way about brain surgeons.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

May 06, 2012 08:57 |  #87

The young lady made a mistake. She asked for help and instead found herself confronted by a tribe of chest thumping baboons trying to show their superiority. Time to take your act elsewhere, you've done ample damage here.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2012 09:05 |  #88

Woolburr wrote in post #14387455 (external link)
The young lady made a mistake. She asked for help and instead found herself confronted by a tribe of chest thumping baboons trying to show their superiority. Time to take your act elsewhere, you've done ample damage here.

Worth repeating.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 06, 2012 09:06 |  #89

This thread has run it's course and is now closed. Thank you to all those that gave good advice and to those who were rude, please try harder next time to hold back or don't post as some of the people new to this forum need help, not a lecture.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links

12,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Photo session with no card!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.